The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Only in my imagination could I ever own a Collings.
Maybe check out Furch guitars — excellent build quality at their price point. They’re definitely less well known than most any of guitars already mentioned in this thread, but if you can find them, I sincerely believe they are deserving of your attention (especially for a more restrained budget).

Otherwise, Yamaha seems like a safe bet for the models without extravagant pricing.

Old 05-26-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
Maybe check out Furch guitars — excellent build quality at their price point. They’re definitely less well known than most any of guitars already mentioned in this thread, but if you can find them, I sincerely believe they are deserving of your attention (especially for a more restrained budget).

Otherwise, Yamaha seems like a safe bet for the models without extravagant pricing.

I've looked at Furch guitars but will take a closer look at them.
Old 05-26-2022, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Build quality can be separated into two main components, there's how good does it look (fit and finish) and then there's how well is it built for how it sounds?

I think most of your answers have focused on the former, and yet from all your prior posts. I would think that you were mostly interested in the latter.

There are some difficulties with maintaining a high quality finishing and spray booth in the same space as one is building guitars where a lot of sawdust etc is in the air. Aside from not wanting to specialize in that element of finishing, I think this would be why a lot of guitar builders send their finished product out to shops that specialize in spraying nitricellulose or whatever other finish.

I have a friend on another forum who was recently asked how he gets his electrics so beautifully perfect and he answered that he sends them out for lacquer spray. To be sure, his bursts and other style dye jobs are perfection, and he knows his limitations.

If you want an example of a company that has a reputation for building a fantastic sound for some people's desire with cosmetic build quality that's arguably quite variable, then Gibson seems to fit the bill.
Old 05-26-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I know the answer to this question involves subjective opinion, but I'll ask it anyway, as opinions are what I'm seeking. Is there a guitar maker that you consider to have the best overall build quality -- that produces guitars that are consistently well built, that stand out from other guitar makers? If you were judging guitar makers based solely on build quality, who would you choose?
Collings.

Tommy
Old 05-26-2022, 11:37 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Collings. And its customer service is as superb as its guitars.

Old 05-26-2022, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I know the answer to this question involves subjective opinion, but I'll ask it anyway, as opinions are what I'm seeking. Is there a guitar maker that you consider to have the best overall build quality -- that produces guitars that are consistently well built, that stand out from other guitar makers? If you were judging guitar makers based solely on build quality, who would you choose?
My vote would be Emerald, although I realize that Carbon Fiber is not to everyone’s taste. The three guitars I’ve purchased from them are impeccable.

However, I’m surprised that Taylor has not been mentioned more. Their reputation is built on quality and consistency, surely.

I’ve never owned one, and am never likely to, but Taylor is the first name that came to mind reading the original question.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-26-2022, 11:41 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I’m surprised that Taylor has not been mentioned more. Their reputation is built on quality and consistency, surely.

I’ve never owned one, and am never likely to, but Taylor is the first name that came to mind reading the original question.
If the OP had limited selection to mass production guitars I’d have chosen Taylor.

Old 05-26-2022, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

….I’ve never owned a Collings but the dozen or I’ve played that are owned by friends are impeccably built….for me the attraction ends there and although I liked the sound of the examples I’ve played I’ve never been inclined to purchase one……that said I’ve owned multiple guitars by Santa Cruz, Huss&Dalton, Taylor, Takamine, National and Martin and I would be hard pressed to point out any lack of overall quality in any of them…..
Old 05-26-2022, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Collings, McIlroy, Flammang and Circa, in no specific order.

Emeralds are nicely crafted as well.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:13 PM

Has to be Estaban or Zager.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:15 PM

I can only comment on guitars I’ve owned, so…..

Bourgeois Country Boy 00 was breathtakingly well made, so clean and precise and sounded as good as it was built. It was so good that I thought myself unworthy of playing chops to own it, so moved it on.

My current Yamaha LL500 displays typical MIJ attention to detail and again sounds fabulous. Keeping that one [emoji122]
Old 05-26-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Only in my imagination could I ever own a Collings.

So the point becomes moot...yes?...no?

Does it mean that all the "lesser" made guitars are going to be riddled with slop both hard to see and/or easy to see, and defects' and fall apart, and not hold up well over many years, or decades, and sound poor compared to Collings?...no...no it does not.

All it means is that Collings and a lot of very high end...VERY expensive guitars...be they large factory, small boutique factory, or small group/solo luthier...are made at OCD/AR levels of attention to detail...and priced $$$$$ in part accordingly.

It does NOT mean that any of the OCD/AR made guitars will sound better or play better for you...or anyone...than the lesser than OCD/AR made guitars. Some will, some will not. Guitars are funny creatures, they are VERY individualistic in just how well they perform as a music making instrument, a music making tool, regardless of how well they are made, how fine the woods that are used, and how skilled the hands...and high tech machines and tools...that take all the raw materials and designs and make them.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 05-26-2022, 01:12 PM

What puts Collings above Santa Cruz and the other second tier guys?
Old 05-26-2022, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Don't have a lot of experience with anything but Martins and I can say I've never had anything to criticize about any of them (excluding the recent binding issue on my 000-18). I used to be a Gallagher dealer and they were superb - not sure about the new ones. I've owned a Taylor or two - made well but don't care for the voicing; played a couple Huss & Dalton...meh...;Froggies, Collings, and Santa Cruz don't exist in my part of the country so no comment there. Owned several misc like Kronbauer (sp), Avalon, and a few others I can't remember - all made well - no complaints. I'm incredibly impressed the Brook guitars from Devon, England - superb instruments, excellent build quality and they're made in a small shop by a couple guys. Even factoring in 8.7% import duty from UK to the States and two day shipping across the pond, my new custom Lyn cost me less than most custom shop guitars from the major builders. I think any of the known builders can produce quality instruments.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:25 PM

From the guitars that I own, my ranking is the following:

#1 McPherson (Hands down the best fit and finish... not even close)
#2 Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, Taylor
#3 Martin

Can't comment on Collings. Never owned one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion