The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-23-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey123 View Post
I purchased the Acoustic Adventure course. I would consider myself on the lower end of intermediate. The course was fantastic for me. It seemed to align with where I was in my learnings(playing for 4 years) which was nice. Couldn't recommend it more as you said you are an advancing beginner or intermediate player. Do it, its awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anplaggd66 View Post
I purchased the course a few weeks ago and have to say that it's been great for me, some nice structured learning and full of challenges. 3 sections (strumming, flatpicking, fingerpicking) plus a Stage/performance section. I find it fairly easy up to Lev 6-7, but then it gets hard quickly. Lots of blues examples which I enjoy.

It's given me an incentive to stay focused and proceed through the different levels, they also contains quite a few techniques which take time to learn/practice/master. Easy to give up though as early attempts in playing some of the difficult songs are frustrating, you need to have a fair degree of perseverance and focus to make it through the course (well, that's a good thing, right?)

Not a cheap course by any means. It's good value in my view as it covers a large variety of acoustic playing and techniques. Once I finish the course, I expect to be able to be a reasonably capable acoustic guitar player....
Quote:
No, each of the 3 chapters has up to 15 or 16 "songs" which are really pieces to teach the material. The main concepts of fingerpicking, strumming, etc can be applied to most songs so the skills are immediately transferable to songs you may want to play.

The "Stage" section has 9 performance-worthy songs but are not based on anything specific, although they are possibly based on real songs to some extent, certainly the blues songs are.

I am still struggling with the lower level songs, some are deceptively simple but require a bit of practice and perseverance. Learning the techniques and skills will make playing any other song much easier. Also, the various examples are quiet varied, from blues to folk, bluegrass, rock and quite lovely fingerpicking examples, also some Drop D, they certainly keep me interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloyd View Post
I'm already around 30 hours into the course. I think it's worth the price tag. My main focus is fingerpicking. Although I know some Travis picking patterns, I found that Paul's stuff is quite challenging.

I'm working on David Hamburger's Truefire courses in parallel with Paul's "Acoustic Adventure". Acoustic Adventure really helps build up the fundamentals for acoustic playing.
Fantastic feedback. Thank you all for sharing!
Old 04-27-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Of all the fantastic instructors around, David Hamburger has always been one of my favourites. I own pretty much all of his TF courses.

If you are interested in Acoustic Blues, check out https://www.fretboardconfidential.com/, it's David's website, and if you join the site, you get free access to 50+ videos, tabs etc for a great Acoustic Blues overview, great material. I only found this a few days ago.
I love David Hamburger's stuff. Actually, I subscribed to his website but I had to pause the subscription due to the lack of time to practice. The materials on FretboardConfidentials.com are incredible!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write