The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-19-2022, 02:10 AM
dreamingOM dreamingOM is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 139
Default Pedalboards - Need some inspiration! Preamps, effects, etc!

A little background;

So basically I’m mainly an electric guitarist. And have developed my rig to be some sort of hybrid mix of tubes and digital emulation. Anyway, I’m curious on what you guys have!

I do live gigs direct to PA, I’m also a church musician. In this particular very small church, I’m the acoustic player and basically no one else. I’d be lucky to have a pianist or a drummer. I feel like ive won the lottery if I have both pianist and drummer.

I’m new to this acoustic gig, So for starters, i just bought myself an affordable but very decent J-45 copy, but with an entry level Fishman Sonitone which I’m planning to replace soon with an Anthem or K&K.



I’m planning to assemble a simple pedalboard which i can use for recording/live gig situations. There’s still budget constraints, however, I’m not averse on paying top dollar for top shelf stuff. With some saving, ive built my electric rig as best as I can. So im planning to do the same with acoustic, although I dont know the who’s who in the acoustic game. I know Grace Design as one of my friends have it, but who else? And what else?

Also, I’ll try to be minimal. I can also do mic, since there’s just one spot in the PA reserved for me, but I want to try and see if I can “plug in” as much as possible because if I ever play in a different venue which mic’ing is not possible, then i’d be dead in the water.

What do you guys have?
__________________
Follow/Chat with me about gears, life, etc etc!

DendenDeSarapen

"You dont choose the guitar, the guitar chooses you. If an any time the guitar chooses you, you have to buy it. If you can't afford it, and you can't steal, borrow, or come up with the money to buy it, you'll eventually die of a broken heart"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-19-2022, 02:26 AM
southbeck southbeck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 96
Default

Here are some pedalboards from a recent thread: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=636492

I would probably add a Tc bodyrez to go with your pickup.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-19-2022, 02:52 AM
MarkLee MarkLee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Australia
Posts: 70
Default

A Zoom A3 is the first and last acoustic pedal I need. Being a single pedal, it's a very minimalist setup and includes some nice microphone emulations. Only downside it's it's no longer in production so you'll need to look for one second hand.

The Fishman Aura also has a good reputation and there's a Dreadnought version which would suit your Sigma.
__________________
2003 Faith Jupiter Trembesi - Lace California
2003 Epiphone Elitist Texan - Fishman Neo-D
2007 Epiphone Emperor Regent - Vintage Vibe Floating CC
2017 Vintage VJ-100 - Gretsch Deltoluxe

Zoom A3 through a Kustom Sienna.

I like big bouts and soundhole pickups.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-19-2022, 06:02 AM
Cuki79 Cuki79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: France
Posts: 2,551
Default

Maybe it's time to bump the preamp list thread

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=612451

The preamp lists are also on my website (with few errors I only corrected on the AGF thread)
http://acousticir.free.fr/spip.php?rubrique7

Most preamp manuals can be found on my website

http://acousticir.free.fr/spip.php?article216

Note that IR pedals are not listed in the same section.
__________________
Martin 00-18V Goldplus + internal mic
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28 (2014) Trance Audio Amulet M-V T+ DIY IR
Eastman E6OM (2019) DIY Pickup v8 + internal mic

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-19-2022, 09:07 AM
Ten's Avatar
Ten Ten is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 484
Default

The Zoom A1-4 is the best sounding most feature packed $100 pedal Iím aware of. Itíll get you IRs to help out that Sonitone right away (built in, canít add your own), along with a ton of eq, compression, reverbs, delays, and more to play with.

From there you can take time to test and choose what you really want for your long term solution, and it can serve as a backup down the road once you step up to something like a Grace preamp, Helix, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-19-2022, 10:17 AM
YamahaGuy YamahaGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Ohio the heart of it all
Posts: 3,468
Default

Playing in a worship setting, you'll definitely want a delay (maybe two), reverb, chorus, and a volume pedal. A tuner pedal is nice to have so you can unplug whether or not the sound booth mutes your channel.

I've got an LR Baggs Para DI for tone shaping and to pull out feedback frequencies, out of the effects loop to a Korg Pitch-black tuner, then a TC Corona chorus, to an Ernie Ball VP Jr volume pedal, then Electro-Harmonix Canyon Delay, Strymon Bluesky reverb, TC Electronic Ditto looper, back into the Baggs via effects loop. I DI out of the Baggs into the house PA and require phantom power to run the Para DI. All other pedals are daisy chained off a Snark power supply.
__________________
As my username suggests, huge fan of Yamaha products. Own many acoustic-electric models from 2009-present and a couple electric. Lots of PA too.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-19-2022, 11:48 AM
fwphoto fwphoto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 253
Default

I play acoustic guitar in a very good praise band. Currently, I use my Ultra Tonic modified K&K OM-21 into a Polytune3 tuner/mute pedal & then into a Fishman ToneDEQ multi-effects/DI box. Those two floor boxes give me:

- Tuner/Mute
- Pre-Amp
- Compressor
- Basic EQ with 3 Low Cut settings
- 2 Reverb Settings with Rate & Level control
- 2 Chorus Settings with Time & Level control
- 2 Delay Settings with Time & Level control
- Tremelo with Rate & Level control
- Flanger with Rate & Level control
- Adjustable Boost
- DI out to House
- Amp out (I use my amp as monitor)
- Battery Option (I use OneSpot AC adapt. to power both boxes)

The only possible issue: Can't use the Reverb & Delay at the same time & can't use the Chorus, Tremelo or Flanger at the same time. Not a problem for me as I normally Reverb +/- Chorus & rarely (if ever) the Tremolo. I've never even used the Delay or Flanger.

I don't need anything else.

Frank
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-19-2022, 11:55 AM
Koamon Koamon is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 33
Default

I wanted to keep my two rigs simple. The first pedalboard is just for plugging in my guitar. The second one is to play with a vocal mic. However since the Mic Mechanic 2 has up to 24v phantom power you can use a condenser instrument mic as a second source for your guitar. For vocals I use a Sennheiser MKE 4032 and for instrumental I change out to my Rode NT3. The pedals are daisy chained for a 1000ma wall wart with the option to use a USB 5v to 9v 1000ma converter cable with a negative center 5.5mm barrel. I use a 10,000 ah rechargeable USB iPhone charger batterie so there is no need for ac power, wall warts or 9v/AA batteries. On the voltage conversion of 5v to 9v, it probably reduces the ah in half. The only caveat is that you are limited to under 1000ma total on your pedals. Digital pedals suck more than analog ones. It's not the audiophile high end gear, but the cost for me was reasonable and unlike a do all in one pedal, you can switch, mix and match individual pedals. My only rule is that it has to fit in either of my Harbor Freight cases.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0742.jpg (40.9 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0744.jpg (35.6 KB, 185 views)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-19-2022, 01:18 PM
dreamingOM dreamingOM is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbeck View Post
Here are some pedalboards from a recent thread: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=636492

I would probably add a Tc bodyrez to go with your pickup.
Thank you sir!

Okay, i will look into the TC BodyRez!
__________________
Follow/Chat with me about gears, life, etc etc!

DendenDeSarapen

"You dont choose the guitar, the guitar chooses you. If an any time the guitar chooses you, you have to buy it. If you can't afford it, and you can't steal, borrow, or come up with the money to buy it, you'll eventually die of a broken heart"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-19-2022, 01:19 PM
dreamingOM dreamingOM is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLee View Post
A Zoom A3 is the first and last acoustic pedal I need. Being a single pedal, it's a very minimalist setup and includes some nice microphone emulations. Only downside it's it's no longer in production so you'll need to look for one second hand.

The Fishman Aura also has a good reputation and there's a Dreadnought version which would suit your Sigma.

Okay sir, Iíll check out the Fishman Aura.. Dreadnought version
__________________
Follow/Chat with me about gears, life, etc etc!

DendenDeSarapen

"You dont choose the guitar, the guitar chooses you. If an any time the guitar chooses you, you have to buy it. If you can't afford it, and you can't steal, borrow, or come up with the money to buy it, you'll eventually die of a broken heart"
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-19-2022, 01:39 PM
dreamingOM dreamingOM is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Maybe it's time to bump the preamp list thread

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=612451

The preamp lists are also on my website (with few errors I only corrected on the AGF thread)
http://acousticir.free.fr/spip.php?rubrique7

Most preamp manuals can be found on my website

http://acousticir.free.fr/spip.php?article216

Note that IR pedals are not listed in the same section.
Thank you sir!

Your work on the IRís is amazing! Iím using yours in my CabM+

And I didnt see the preamp section in your website! I will take a look at it!
__________________
Follow/Chat with me about gears, life, etc etc!

DendenDeSarapen

"You dont choose the guitar, the guitar chooses you. If an any time the guitar chooses you, you have to buy it. If you can't afford it, and you can't steal, borrow, or come up with the money to buy it, you'll eventually die of a broken heart"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-19-2022, 01:41 PM
dreamingOM dreamingOM is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
The Zoom A1-4 is the best sounding most feature packed $100 pedal Iím aware of. Itíll get you IRs to help out that Sonitone right away (built in, canít add your own), along with a ton of eq, compression, reverbs, delays, and more to play with.

From there you can take time to test and choose what you really want for your long term solution, and it can serve as a backup down the road once you step up to something like a Grace preamp, Helix, etc.
Thank you sir!

At the moment, i have the TwoNotes CabM+ which is also an IR loader. Definitely helped my crap Sonitone to decent levels when I used it last sunday!

Iím just a bit curious on what the acoustic guys are using, specially for acoustic. Maybe the pedals for acoustic are fine tuned for acoustic so yeah
__________________
Follow/Chat with me about gears, life, etc etc!

DendenDeSarapen

"You dont choose the guitar, the guitar chooses you. If an any time the guitar chooses you, you have to buy it. If you can't afford it, and you can't steal, borrow, or come up with the money to buy it, you'll eventually die of a broken heart"
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-19-2022, 01:43 PM
dreamingOM dreamingOM is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Playing in a worship setting, you'll definitely want a delay (maybe two), reverb, chorus, and a volume pedal. A tuner pedal is nice to have so you can unplug whether or not the sound booth mutes your channel.

I've got an LR Baggs Para DI for tone shaping and to pull out feedback frequencies, out of the effects loop to a Korg Pitch-black tuner, then a TC Corona chorus, to an Ernie Ball VP Jr volume pedal, then Electro-Harmonix Canyon Delay, Strymon Bluesky reverb, TC Electronic Ditto looper, back into the Baggs via effects loop. I DI out of the Baggs into the house PA and require phantom power to run the Para DI. All other pedals are daisy chained off a Snark power supply.
Thank you for the detailed explanation!

Yup, my electric board is full of delays and reverbs! Hehehe.

Thats a great rig! Iíll look into the Para di! But what if thereís no phantom power available?
__________________
Follow/Chat with me about gears, life, etc etc!

DendenDeSarapen

"You dont choose the guitar, the guitar chooses you. If an any time the guitar chooses you, you have to buy it. If you can't afford it, and you can't steal, borrow, or come up with the money to buy it, you'll eventually die of a broken heart"
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-19-2022, 01:45 PM
dreamingOM dreamingOM is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwphoto View Post
I play acoustic guitar in a very good praise band. Currently, I use my Ultra Tonic modified K&K OM-21 into a Polytune3 tuner/mute pedal & then into a Fishman ToneDEQ multi-effects/DI box. Those two floor boxes give me:

- Tuner/Mute
- Pre-Amp
- Compressor
- Basic EQ with 3 Low Cut settings
- 2 Reverb Settings with Rate & Level control
- 2 Chorus Settings with Time & Level control
- 2 Delay Settings with Time & Level control
- Tremelo with Rate & Level control
- Flanger with Rate & Level control
- Adjustable Boost
- DI out to House
- Amp out (I use my amp as monitor)
- Battery Option (I use OneSpot AC adapt. to power both boxes)

The only possible issue: Can't use the Reverb & Delay at the same time & can't use the Chorus, Tremelo or Flanger at the same time. Not a problem for me as I normally Reverb +/- Chorus & rarely (if ever) the Tremolo. I've never even used the Delay or Flanger.

I don't need anything else.

Frank
Thanks Frank!

Yes, I dont think id need a delay either! Is the preamp in your pedal pretty good? Like better maybe than using a Para DI or bodyrez or lets say, the preamp in the K&K trinity system?
__________________
Follow/Chat with me about gears, life, etc etc!

DendenDeSarapen

"You dont choose the guitar, the guitar chooses you. If an any time the guitar chooses you, you have to buy it. If you can't afford it, and you can't steal, borrow, or come up with the money to buy it, you'll eventually die of a broken heart"
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-19-2022, 01:48 PM
dreamingOM dreamingOM is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koamon View Post
I wanted to keep my two rigs simple. The first pedalboard is just for plugging in my guitar. The second one is to play with a vocal mic. However since the Mic Mechanic 2 has up to 24v phantom power you can use a condenser instrument mic as a second source for your guitar. For vocals I use a Sennheiser MKE 4032 and for instrumental I change out to my Rode NT3. The pedals are daisy chained for a 1000ma wall wart with the option to use a USB 5v to 9v 1000ma converter cable with a negative center 5.5mm barrel. I use a 10,000 ah rechargeable USB iPhone charger batterie so there is no need for ac power, wall warts or 9v/AA batteries. On the voltage conversion of 5v to 9v, it probably reduces the ah in half. The only caveat is that you are limited to under 1000ma total on your pedals. Digital pedals suck more than analog ones. It's not the audiophile high end gear, but the cost for me was reasonable and unlike a do all in one pedal, you can switch, mix and match individual pedals. My only rule is that it has to fit in either of my Harbor Freight cases.

Thank you sir!

I didnt know about the Mic Mechanic! Looks like a good option to use as a second source while Iím saving up for an Anthem or something, and then borrow my electric board for some reverb and stuff. Only thing Im wondering is if I still need a preamp after all these!
__________________
Follow/Chat with me about gears, life, etc etc!

DendenDeSarapen

"You dont choose the guitar, the guitar chooses you. If an any time the guitar chooses you, you have to buy it. If you can't afford it, and you can't steal, borrow, or come up with the money to buy it, you'll eventually die of a broken heart"
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=