The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-10-2022, 10:46 AM

I have quite a bit more room between my Trance Amulet Lenses and the x braces. Must just be a difference in bracing pattern. What guitar did you install this in?

IMG_6683.jpg
Old 02-10-2022, 11:20 AM

It is a Martin HD-28 from 2014 (pre reimagined series) with the standard scalloped bracing.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 02-10-2022, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
I understood the role of placement as far as spatial filtering is involved (the so called wah-wah effect) which is pretty "similar" as pickup placement for an electric guitar.

What I did not understand was the role of flexibility/rigidity and the impact of the X-brace proximity. Now it makes total sens for me.
So, I've read this whole thread and just want to make sure I'm capturing the bottom line:

is the idea here that an SBT needs some breathing room from a local brace so it captures more of the top resonance? And in this specific case, your treble lens had some room, but your bass lens was too close to a brace?

Are you sticking direct to the top now days and not to the bridge plate or are you on the bridge plate further away from a brace as you can comfortably get?

if so, this is very helpful.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 02-10-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
So, I've read this whole thread and just want to make sure I'm capturing the bottom line:

is the idea here that an SBT needs some breathing room from a local brace so it captures more of the top resonance? And in this specific case, your treble lens had some room, but your bass lens was too close to a brace?

Yes it is the idea. And it worked: this time. So this single experiment goes with what James May told us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post

Are you sticking direct to the top now days and not to the bridge plate or are you on the bridge plate further away from a brace as you can comfortably get?
I am sticking ON the bridge plate. I would probably not dare sticking straight on the top… I would be afraid of damaging the top in case of relocation.

I moved the sensor along the saddle line towards the treble sensor and further away from the X brace.

I am not saying it will work 100% of the time. If you have the Amulet and try to install the best thing to do is CALL Gary Hull… I have to admit that when I called him years ago I did not understand all of what he was saying… I am french and I struggle understanding English on the phone because it goes very fast and I can not see people’s face.

He might have given me that advice and I totally missed it.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 02-10-2022, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmarkson View Post
I have quite a bit more room between my Trance Amulet Lenses and the x braces. Must just be a difference in bracing pattern. What guitar did you install this in?

Attachment 69596
Aaron, That's a good bass Amulet positioning and it's where Trance recommends locating, per their diagram, the bass Amulet, which is slightly outward with the inner-end of the bass Amulet about 1/3 to 1/2 the distance from the 4th to 5th bridgepin pinholes. You also have plenty of room between the Amulet and the brace. In what guitar is this installation?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 02-10-2022 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I'm now leaning toward the Ultra Tonic 3.2 system as being the best pickup system I've personally installed and heard to date, When properly adjusted it can sound the most natural to me, which I finally achieved but have yet to post any demos of my final setting for the pickup.
I am considering giving this pickup a try. I just played guitar for about an hour for the first time in about three months. I first plugged in my K&K equipped Larrivee and then switched to my Wavelength equipped Taylor. It was night and day. The Larrivee sounded natural & warm and the strings had a nice beefiness to them. The Taylor sounded good for a UST, but there's still that harsh top end. I wasn't expecting the Taylor to sound natural, but I am always surprised by how thin/bright USTs can sound.

There's still this midrange tone that's noticeable with the Ultratonic/K&K that I find a bit annoying, but I feel as though every pickup has a tradeoff.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Aaron, That's a good bass Amulet positioning and it's where Trance recommends locating, per their diagram, the bass Amulet, which is slightly outward with the inner-end of the bass Amulet about 1/3 to 1/2 the distance from the 4th to 5th bridgepin pinholes. You also have plenty of room between the Amulet and the brace. In what guitar is this installation?

It’s a Gibson 1935 Jumbo made in 2003 for Fullers Vintage Guitars. It was my first trance installation and is installed in the recommended place. It was good right from the start. Now I understand why.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I am considering giving this pickup a try. I just played guitar for about an hour for the first time in about three months. I first plugged in my K&K equipped Larrivee and then switched to my Wavelength equipped Taylor. It was night and day. The Larrivee sounded natural & warm and the strings had a nice beefiness to them. The Taylor sounded good for a UST, but there's still that harsh top end. I wasn't expecting the Taylor to sound natural, but I am always surprised by how thin/bright USTs can sound.

There's still this midrange tone that's noticeable with the Ultratonic/K&K that I find a bit annoying, but I feel as though every pickup has a tradeoff.
I'll try to get some demos posted in the other thread of the Martin D-18/UltraTonic 3.2 with my final DIP-switch setting of 5. I think it sounds pretty good for an SBT system.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 02-11-2022, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmarkson View Post
It’s a Gibson 1935 Jumbo made in 2003 for Fullers Vintage Guitars. It was my first trance installation and is installed in the recommended place. It was good right from the start. Now I understand why.
Thanks! If you're happy with your amplified tone I'd leave the Amulets where they're located.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 02-11-2022, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes it is the idea. And it worked: this time. So this single experiment goes with what James May told us.

I am sticking ON the bridge plate. I would probably not dare sticking straight on the top… I would be afraid of damaging the top in case of relocation.

I moved the sensor along the saddle line towards the treble sensor and further away from the X brace.

I am not saying it will work 100% of the time. If you have the Amulet and try to install the best thing to do is CALL Gary Hull… I have to admit that when I called him years ago I did not understand all of what he was saying… I am french and I struggle understanding English on the phone because it goes very fast and I can not see people’s face.

He might have given me that advice and I totally missed it.
It sounds good, Cuki. Also, the Tonewheel is useful in fine-tuning your tone. Are you finished with your Amulet location experiments?

Gary Hull is great to talk to as he'll go on and on about everything you ask him and he'll add experiences that others have had with his Trance systems. I always prepare to spend a good half-hour talking with Gary whenever I call him!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 02-11-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks! If you're happy with your amplified tone I'd leave the Amulets where they're located.
I am quite happy with it and feel no desire to re-locate them.

Quote:
Here is a demo with the Amulet MVT preamp (mono)

The tonewheel is fully open.
At one point Maury's observation was that having the tone wheel at about 85% achieved a similar response as not having it in the circuit at all. I'm curious if you experimented with this and what your findings are.
Old 02-11-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
It sounds good, Cuki. Also, the Tonewheel is useful in fine-tuning your tone. Are you finished with your Amulet location experiments?
Thanks Ken,

yes I am finished. Now I will try my new IR processes on it

Next move will probably be a DIY dual source pickup with Anthem style crossover onboard preamp, Amulet lens style sensors and internal mic. But I need to think it through. I need to shrink the electronic and design for SMD PCB... A whole new adventure.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 02-11-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmarkson
At one point Maury's observation was that having the tone wheel at about 85% achieved a similar response as not having it in the circuit at all. I'm curious if you experimented with this and what your findings are.
I remember Gary Hull saying that the tonewheel fully open sounds like the preamp with no tonewheel... which makes sens from an electronic point of view.

However I still made a measurement of the Trance Audio preamp with the tonewheel full open to check.

the little peaks and the top end bump are measurements artefacts. blue and red curve are the two channels responses respectively (with normalized gain).

Note that I measured also the tonewheel response and found nothing weird. It works as advertised.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 02-11-2022, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I've yet to try that one, but I think the idea is brilliant. It combines the general predictability of the K&K with the ability to fine-tune after the fact. Should be a winner.
Doug, after just listening to my Martin HD-28/Trance Amulet M-VT System installed with Henkel Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy, back-to-back with my Martin D-18/Ultra Tonic 3.2 System, I've got to give the edge to the Trance system based on clarity and fullness of tone. Either system is a winner, and for players desiring a passive system, the Ultra Tonic 3.2 would be a good choice.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 02-11-2022, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I remember Gary Hull saying that the tonewheel fully open sounds like the preamp with no tonewheel... which makes sens from an electronic point of view.

However I still made a measurement of the Trance Audio preamp with the tonewheel full open to check.

the little peaks and the top end bump are measurements artefacts. blue and red curve are the two channels responses respectively (with normalized gain).

Note that I measured also the tonewheel response and found nothing weird. It works as advertised.
Cuki, Trance products are wonderful and I've been a long-time fan!

Something of pleasant note that calls into question my earlier comment in this thread: After just listening to my Martin HD-28/Trance Amulet M-VT System installed with Henkel Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy, back-to-back with my Martin D-18/Ultra Tonic 3.2 System, I've got to give the edge to the Trance system based on clarity and fullness of tone. Either system is a winner, and for players desiring a passive system, the Ultra Tonic 3.2 would be a good choice.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification