The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-26-2023, 03:30 PM

Default New Mortillaro Customs acoustic (w floating pup) archtop

Here is my 70th birthday present, a custom made archtop from luthier Robert Mortillaro in Maryland - carbon fiber with a carbon fiber-wrapped cedar neck, that carries a theme that honors my Sicilian ancestry, including a Trinacria on the headstock - the model is called "Conca D'Oro" (Golden seashell, coast, or basket) - it has some features that are also inspired by my Tacoma Jazz King (a similar soundhole) and pickguard and tailpiece reminiscent of my Eastman AR905.

The parallel bracing and soundhole help this instrument project very well acoustically - at a local senior center "senior guitar" meetup, where I was not amped up, some folks remarked at how well this guitar cut through the amplified sounds of the solid body guitars in the group. (I grant, no one was cranked up to 11!)

I can also easily remove the pickup and pickguard assembly (the volume and tone controls are discretely placed under the pickguard, as is the 1/4 inch jack) by removing two small screws in the side of the neck - and then it is a pure acoustic (something to consider if I need a guitar out with me in questionable weather conditions).
1934 Gibson L-12
1937 Gibson L-12 Advanced
1943 Epiphone Broadway
1947 Grimshaw G.5 Revelation
2000 Tacoma AJF22CE5 Jazz King
2006 Eastman AR905-CE-BD
2023 Emerald Kestrel
2016 Gibson Hummingbird Artist
1964 Gibson B-25-12
McPherson CMG 4.5 Camrielle
Emerald X20
McPherson Sable
Rainsong BI- WS-1000
Cordoba Gypsy King Studio Negra
... (etc)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops