The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-03-2022, 06:50 AM

Default Vocal separating software

I’m wondering if anyone has used a good software to separate out vocals from a music track. I’ve played around with a few -most recently Moises - and found the free version just ok. Anyone know of a decent one that won’t break the bank?
Old 02-03-2022, 04:19 PM

FWIW- I use Izotope's RX7 software for various specialized editing functions, and it supposedly has the ability to remove vocals from an audio track, but I've never used that function. RX7 is no longer available, and the latest RX software from Izotope (RX9) is quite expensive. However, you can get a free trial version of the latest RX software to download by going to the Izotope website: https://www.izotope.com/en/products/..._advanced.html

If you're working with a single track you might be able to accomplish what you need to before your trial period expires. Best of luck to you!

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-03-2022 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-04-2022, 03:52 AM
Charter Member

RX9 will easily and effectively do what you want. I've used the Music Rebalance module, which is one of two tools they have. The new version of RX9 Advanced also has something called Dialog Isolate which I haven't yet tried but will soon, that should work as well. Download the demo, which is fully functional and try it out, but beware that RX is addictive and you could easily find yourself buying at least the Standard version. They also have a very moderately priced subscription model that you might consider.
'02 Goodall GC
'20 Gibson Southern Jumbo
Deering Maple Blossom
'62 Danectro Longhorn Bass
UAD Apollo x8p, Apollo Twin
Genelec 8351B's Studio Monitors
Genelec 7370A Sub
Lauten Audio LT-386
Old 02-04-2022, 07:13 AM

Thank you both. The Moises app is a simple way to do it but what happens is since it’s not a multitrack file, when it removes the vocal it squelches the instrumental under it to some degree. I’m really just looking for something to create instrumental tracks to either play along with or transcribe, so while that kinda works it’s tough to hear instrumentals in the areas where the vocal is removed. I’ll try the demo version. Just what I need, more expensive toys related to guitar!
Old 02-04-2022, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ish5 View Post
I’m wondering if anyone has used a good software to separate out vocals from a music track. I’ve played around with a few -most recently Moises - and found the free version just ok. Anyone know of a decent one that won’t break the bank?
Hi ish5

Sure. I've never dealt with mono tracks, only stereo.

If you import a stereo track into your DAW, then split it into two mono tracks and invert one track it cancels all 'center' information. That's the basis for quickly removing the center vocals (and instruments in a track).

Sweeterwater Music posted this a while back for 'tweaking' it a bit more.

Sweetwater article - CliCk

I've never had a use for this particular function, but have phase cancelled a few tracks for fun. A price tag of FREE is hard to beat

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-04-2022, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

iZotope RX's Music Rebalance does a lot more than just isolate vocals. It separates the existing track into four categories - Vocals, Bass, Percussion and Other, each of which can be dealt with individually, either in the iZotope interface for basic volume control, or, as outputting those stems from the standalone version of RX and re-importing them into you DAW where you can then treat them further.

RX works as both a regular plug-in in your DAW or as a standalone app. Rebalance works much better as in the standalone version as it's a very processor intensive app and can easily overtax many computers, although I haven't yet tried it out on my new M1 MBP.

While I don't use this specifically to remove vocals, I have used it several times when we're sent horrible rough mixes when I'm recording my gf adding her accordion tracks to a project - usually to isolate the vocals and bring them up from being buried in the mix, and to drastically shove down an all consuming bass - just to get a palatable headphone mix for her.
'02 Goodall GC
'20 Gibson Southern Jumbo
Deering Maple Blossom
'62 Danectro Longhorn Bass
UAD Apollo x8p, Apollo Twin
Genelec 8351B's Studio Monitors
Genelec 7370A Sub
Lauten Audio LT-386

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD