The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-13-2009, 02:21 PM

Default How do I play Stills 4+20 ??

Gday friends ... Im a newby , I have had lessons for four months ... Anyhoo my instructor has me working on 4+20 , great song to learn finger pick melody ... but he doesnt have tabs for me , only try's to show me the finger pick pattern by me watching .. the problem is I cant remember the patterns ... soooo does any body have the tabs or any other kind of help for me ?? Thankyou Kindly ....Davey

_____ Onward & Upward !!
Old 08-13-2009, 05:27 PM

Any help with picking pattern ??

_____ Onward & Upward !!
Old 08-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Hi Davey...
Have him play the pattern repeatedly and slow while you video it - possibly your phone has a video function or else your digital camera (unless you have a video recorder).

My students bring recorders all the time...

Hope this inspires you to create...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-13-2009, 08:21 PM

You really have to tune your guitar to the Bruce Palmer modal tuning - E, E, E, E, B, E (low to high) - to get the authentic Stills recording sound. It's pretty simple once you have the right tuning. Unfortunately not a lot of other songs in that tuning except Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
Old 08-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPATRIOT View Post
Gday friends ... Im a newby , I have had lessons for four months ... Anyhoo my instructor has me working on 4+20 , great song to learn finger pick melody ... but he doesnt have tabs for me , only try's to show me the finger pick pattern by me watching .. the problem is I cant remember the patterns ... soooo does any body have the tabs or any other kind of help for me ?? Thankyou Kindly ....Davey
What tuning are you using? That song can been played well in several tunings.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:14 PM

Well Im playing in DADDAD ... chords sound good in this tuning ... just cant figure out the finger pic pattern ... something like 6th string 1st 4th 2nd then 6th 3rd 4th 1st ... but that doesnt sound just right to me ?? the chords are easy though ....

_____ Onward & Upward !!

Last edited by OPATRIOT; 08-14-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:15 PM

I took about 4 lessons back in 1964 when I started , we did not have tabs then . He showed me few things . I started using piano sheet music just for the chord charts and figured out the fingering then a year later took the 4 lessons and was just shown . I used to get out an album or wait for the song to come on the radio and get the bass notes down then figure out the chords then build off that by playing along . I figuered out 4 and 20 but could never tell you how to play it and I use only standard tuning all the other tunings after playing for so long get me lost so I never got into them . They are fun to play around with for me at times but my fingers are on auto pilot for standard tuning.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:35 PM

Here is the EEEEBE version (2 parts):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzfw1...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7jAe...eature=related

Fretkillr has a version in Drop D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJrM-...e=channel_page

I do a variation of Fretkillr's in standard tuning.

geokie8
Old 08-14-2009, 06:39 AM

WOW Fretkiller gives it a good bluesy sound ..and great voice inflection .. I like it !! .. but his right hand fingers move too fast to emulate ........ thanx guys

_____ Onward & Upward !!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:27 AM

Yeah that's a nice version by Fretkillr. And that's a good look at what he's doing too. I was just thinking about this song last week and put it on my list of "things to do" guitar-wise. Great song by Stills.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:02 PM

Hope this helps, tuning is EBEEBE open E5 or you can use DADDAD with capo at 2nd fret.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:54 PM

Thanx Chris !! thanx a whole lot ... I know my instructor is trying to teach me an alternating bass with a melody in it ... but it helps me if i can see it on paper ... this should be a good song to teach me the bass rythum .. the real challenge will be when he ask'e me to sing and play together .... "GOOD FUN"

_____ Onward & Upward !!
Old 08-24-2009, 05:46 PM

Thanx .... ljguitar ..... I recorded my instructor playing the pattern for this song with a digital camera and it helps a bunch .... Great idea .. THANX ........ Davey

_____ Onward & Upward !!
Old 04-30-2022, 10:20 PM

Default 4 + 20 pattern

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GdJ...nel=DanSerdutz

I recorder this a few years back. Learn those first 20 seconds well and then add the treble notes later. Its easier than you think once you nail that pattern. Cheers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write