The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-03-2020, 12:50 PM

Default Fishman Prefix+T vs LR Baggs Stagepro Element - Opinions

I've been looking at some Rainsong Jumbo's and Dreds and I noticed that some are equipped with the Fishman Prefix+T system while others the LR Baggs Stage pro Element. Any thoughts on which one is a better system?
There is grace and forgiveness
Mercy and healing
He'll meet you wherever you are
Cry out to Jesus...
THIRD DAY

MARTIN D-16e Rosewood
Old 07-04-2020, 04:50 AM

I think the Fishman sounds a bit better but the swing out barn door for battery replacement is prone to buzzes and the Matrix UST is relatively fragile (no problem if you only work on the saddle carefully or not at all).

Some people claim the Baggs Element UST detracts from acoustic performance. I've installed and removed quite a few Elements over the years and my experience is I can't hear any difference. There is a huge placebo and expectation impact in this sort of judgement (which impacts my perception too).

New RainSong stock, I believe, is all Baggs based.

Either system can be perfected with an IR (ToneDexter or my IR generator and the pedal of your choice).

LA Guitar Sales will be competitive price wise and custom order a guitar with no pickup or the Stage Pro Anthem. Those are two better options IMHO.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-04-2020, 02:49 PM

JonFields45 Thanks for your response. Very helpful info and thanks for the heads up the custom order options from LA Guitars.
There is grace and forgiveness
Mercy and healing
He'll meet you wherever you are
Cry out to Jesus...
THIRD DAY

MARTIN D-16e Rosewood
Old 07-04-2020, 02:59 PM

Never been a fan of the Baggs. I have found the element to be fragile, and the thickness of the UST can be problematic.

Given a choice, I always install either a Fishman or a K&K (or JJB)

Edit to add, I ordered my Rainsong from Ted with no pickup and added a K&K myself.
(or rather paid a local tech because I wasn't about to personally get superglue anywhere near my new guitar's finish)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 07-04-2020, 03:27 PM

My 2001 WS-1000 has the Fishman Blender barn door system, and is hands-down the best sounding stage guitar that I have. It was shocking the first time I heard it through good stage monitors at a festival. I use about 30% microphone when playing solo for the best acoustic tone, and 100% piezo when playing in loud situations, where pure tone doesn't matter as much as feedback resistance. I don't recall the year -- maybe 2005? -- when Rainsong switched from Fishman to LR Baggs electronics. They also switched from Tolex covered wood cases to thermoplastic SKB cases about then too. Mine was built in Hawaii shortly before they moved to Woodinville, WA and came with a nice wooden hard case.

My X20 has the LR Baggs Anthem pickup in it, and the X20-12 and X30 both have the stock Baggs VTC pickup in them. I have not used any of these (other than testing that they actually work) as I do not gig anymore. My custom X20 that is currently somewhere in the build queue will have no electronics, but will be prepped on the underside of the sound board for a K&K added locally someday. Maybe.

If you are looking for anything custom from Rainsong then Ted is the guy. He has a great working relationship with them. Their ability to customize is limited, but Ted and Dave from Rainsong will do what they can.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6STRINGSTRUMMER View Post
I've been looking at some Rainsong Jumbo's and Dreds and I noticed that some are equipped with the Fishman Prefix+T system while others the LR Baggs Stage pro Element. Any thoughts on which one is a better system?
In my experience with both systems I also would lean more toward the Fishman without any other supporting tone shaping available. I generally prefer SBT's to UST's but with current technology such as Tonedexter and custom IR's you can really make a UST sound natural. For what it's worth I also find the LR Baggs Element to have phenomenal feedback rejection, far greater than the Fishman Matrix UST, which is what the Prefix uses and that's something else to consider.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Fishman Matrix Prefix Plus T over the LR Baggs Stage Pro Element.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber