The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-12-2013, 12:54 PM

Default What grain direction of neck block?

I´m not sure what grain direction the neck block of the guitar I´m building should have.
My Martins show horizontal direction except my J12-15 which seems to have a multi layer block. The Lowden of a friend of mine has a vertical grain block.
Not easy to decide...

Martin D28 (1973)
12-string cutaway ...finished ;-)
Hoyer 12-string (1965)
Yamaha FG-340 (1970)
Yamaha FG-512 (ca. 1980)
D.Maurer 8-string baritone (2013-2014)
and 4 electric axes
Old 09-12-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viento View Post
I´m not sure what grain direction the neck block of the guitar I´m building should have.
My Martins show horizontal direction except my J12-15 which seems to have a multi layer block. The Lowden of a friend of mine has a vertical grain block.
Not easy to decide...
Vertical should have greater strength, and hence is the way I make my neck blocks.

But anything could happen... Look at this injured guitar that came into my workshop.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 09-12-2013, 01:02 PM

Horizontal grain is prefered, vertical grain has the top and back glued to endgrain. Laminated is getting more popular.
et al
Old 09-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Vertical will have much more strength but horizontal will glue better to the body (as already stated). So, like everything "it depends". For a bolt-on neck, you definitely want vertical. For a dovetail or mortise and tenon joint I think it is a toss-up.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 09-12-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
Horizontal grain is prefered, vertical grain has the top and back glued to endgrain. Laminated is getting more popular.
Not really end-grain, but side-grain. A very different thing. Braces for all soundboards and backs are glued on side-grain [edit: correct typo / brain fart] with the grain lines running "vertical" (perpendicular to the gluing plane).

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Last edited by Ned Milburn; 09-12-2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Typo revision
Old 09-12-2013, 02:04 PM

I like to have the flat sawn face glued to the sides and the end grain on the left and right sides of the block. The top and bottom of the block reveal the annular rings. A vertical grain block such that the annular rings are on the top and bottom of the block is no fun to plane when fitting the back (or top if you glue the back on first)
Old 09-12-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCG Canada View Post
Braces for all soundboards and backs are glued on end-grain with the grain lines running "vertical" (perpendicular to the gluing plane).
i glue my braces edge grain down as split from a billet. perhaps my reference planes are different -are we describing the same thing?

fleta used to use small mortise and tenon'd caps onto his blocks to keep end grain away from the plates. a little more work but i find that it goes by pretty easy and looks cool. works well on the tailblock but is a bit more involved if you do it on a neck block with a fretboard extension.

Last edited by arie; 09-12-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCG Canada View Post
Not really end-grain, but side-grain. A very different thing. Braces for all soundboards and backs are glued on end-grain with the grain lines running "vertical" (perpendicular to the gluing plane).
That is completely incorrect, you have side grain and end grain backwards. Grain lines perpendicular to the gluing plane is end grain. Braces are NOT glued on endgrain, that's just silly. The longgrain stiffness is 5 or 10 times the crossgrain stiffness (for typical topwoods), if they were glued on endgrain the crossgrain would be the stressed direction.

edit: arie posted while I was typing, what I'm calling side grain is the same as face grain or edge grain in his sketch. We agree on end grain.
et al

Last edited by Rodger Knox; 09-12-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:06 PM

Neck blocks should have the grain running the same way as the sides.
Tom
Old 09-12-2013, 03:16 PM

Ned: When I build necks I use a 5/16" dowel through the length of the heel, covered by the heel cap. That would have prevented what happened to the classical patient on your operating table. Quite often I put smaller dowels in tail and heel blocks themselves. And of course Baltic birch works for tail blocks.
Tom
Old 09-12-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
That is completely incorrect, you have side grain and end grain backwards. Grain lines perpendicular to the gluing plane is end grain. Braces are NOT glued on endgrain, that's just silly. The longgrain stiffness is 5 or 10 times the crossgrain stiffness (for typical topwoods), if they were glued on endgrain the crossgrain would be the stressed direction.

edit: arie posted while I was typing, what I'm calling side grain is the same as face grain or edge grain in his sketch. We agree on end grain.
We all knew what Ned meant ...no point in making a meal of it ...
Old 09-12-2013, 03:56 PM

hey murray, what is the name of the piece i'm talking about? it's used on furniture carcasses -the m/t caps on the end grain?

Last edited by arie; 09-12-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:

Just a brain fart / typo. Corrected (edited corresponding post).

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 09-12-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom West View Post
Ned: When I build necks I use a 5/16" dowel through the length of the heel, covered by the heel cap. That would have prevented what happened to the classical patient on your operating table. Quite often I put smaller dowels in tail and heel blocks themselves. And of course Baltic birch works for tail blocks.
Tom
That one was a flamenco (maybe built in Spain, but I can't remember). It had a case of severe temperature shock - coming in from -20 degree weather to +20 degree weather. A shocker of 40 degrees differential. (For our friends down south of the 49th parallel, these are celcius temperatures, not farenheit.)

Interesting idea to use the dowel. Thanks for sharing that one.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 09-12-2013, 06:13 PM

The only way to avoid any end grain gluing is to run the grain in the same direction as the sides... though I'm not sure that the top and backs need be a consideration. I was however taught (if I understood him correctly) that you are less likely to develop a hump forming from a drop in RH if you run the grain in the same direction as the sides.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair