The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-04-2016, 06:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default A "student" guitar for my grandson

My grandson (who is 9) surprised me by deciding to take guitar lessons at the local Acoustic Corner music store. So, since he is playing a plywood rental, I decided to whip up a simple box with my best efforts to make it sound good and look decent and play easily because nothing can be more discouraging to a new player than playing a guitar that's like trying to choke a horse. Nothing fancy, no elaborate decor, mahogany body, bois de rose binding, plastic purfling because I had it and never seem to use it, and a 00 size to fit comfortably but with the potential to grow with him, and a redwood top that I have had laying around the shop for ages. The top already had two paua rings inlayed in it or this box would not have had anything so fancy.

The w/b/w purfling lines are some kind of plastic that begs to be bent and I fit them in before the binding in short order with superglue. It all went fast.
It got me wondering if there would be a market for something simple like this. Maybe a beater guitar that actually plays and sounds very nice and has an attractive price point. It was a fun and quick project with little tedium and it reminded me of how time consuming the "little" extras can be. The arm rests, the bound sound ports, the wood purfling that must be bent in conjunction with the binding (at least that is how I do it) all the mitre joints and agonizing over decorative details, rosettes, inlay, bound finger boards, etc, etc.
The neck will be solid mahogany, with CF bars and a truss rod, I'll probably use an EIR fingerboard, and overlay. Simple, no undercutting the frets to lap over the bound fingerboard, just pound them in, drop in a little CA, clip file and go.
It's and interesting project in its simplicity and the box is already sounding very resonant
Old 07-04-2016, 06:42 AM

That's the way, I like it, uh huh, uh huh. Nice and simple. He will love it.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:00 AM

It's like a master baker making a simple loaf of bread. Now that's the loaf you want to have.

I wonder how much time is saved making a guitar like this? Could it be 1/4 the time or less?

I have a couple of grandkids I am trying to get interested in guitar...if they had a guitar similar to this and it languished for lack of motivation, Grandpa would surely be playing it when he visited.

A guitar like you are making would be something special for sure, perhaps turn into an heirloom. Great idea!
Old 07-04-2016, 07:13 AM

That is one blessed 9 year old to have you for a grandpa! What a gift to be able to learn on such an instrument. A solid redwood top, solid wood, soundport, great neck, built with your craftsmanship.... I'm sure there would be interest in something like this- I'm interested!!

beth

Last edited by mountainguitar; 07-04-2016 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Beth stold my thunder. I want one, too!
Looks nice, bro!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 07-04-2016, 08:00 AM

Unfortunately my grandfather wasn't much of a music supporter but thankfully my dad more than made up for it. A guitar is just about the most memorable gift one can give (and receive) -- and it's even better when it's built out of your own hands.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubade Acoustics View Post
That's the way, I like it, uh huh, uh huh. Nice and simple. He will love it.
Thanks Michael. I hope you are right.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by random works View Post
It's like a master baker making a simple loaf of bread. Now that's the loaf you want to have.

I wonder how much time is saved making a guitar like this? Could it be 1/4 the time or less?

I have a couple of grandkids I am trying to get interested in guitar...if they had a guitar similar to this and it languished for lack of motivation, Grandpa would surely be playing it when he visited.

A guitar like you are making would be something special for sure, perhaps turn into an heirloom. Great idea!
Thank you sir. Regarding the time, I am not sure. It seems like so far the box took about half as long as the typical cutaway with all the trimmings.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
That is one blessed 9 year old to have you for a grandpa! What a gift to be able to learn on such an instrument. A solid redwood top, solid wood, soundport, great neck, built with your craftsmanship.... I'm sure there would be interest in something like this- I'm interested!!

beth
Thank you sir
Old 07-04-2016, 09:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Unfortunately my grandfather wasn't much of a music supporter but thankfully my dad more than made up for it. A guitar is just about the most memorable gift one can give (and receive) -- and it's even better when it's built out of your own hands.
I should be a nice enough gift I suppose. I am really interested in the utilitarian function and to those ends I hope it gets some use. I would hate to see it languish in its case. (Which I suppose will be part of this gift )
Old 07-04-2016, 10:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi John...what a cool idea! Will it be joined at the 12th fret? What scale length is it going to be? I see that you've snuck a sound port into the upper bout too...that alone will make him feel like it's a really fancy guitar 😋

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 07-04-2016, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Very nice! A gift which will truly give joy for a lifetime.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 07-04-2016, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Smile Lucky grandson!!

Hey John

Considering the tone of the two JKs I have, I am VERY sure there is a market for these!!!

Still, I would like all the bells and whistles... Well, not the full on tree of life bling, but the bevels and ports sure make a diff when playing my gigs! To have the comfort AND the sound, sure makes the hour or three a lot nicer!!!

Really looking forward to the next one!!!

Have a fun Fourth!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 07-04-2016, 01:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
Hi John...what a cool idea! Will it be joined at the 12th fret? What scale length is it going to be? I see that you've snuck a sound port into the upper bout too...that alone will make him feel like it's a really fancy guitar 😋

Joel
Thanks Joel
12th fret, 25 inch scale.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
Very nice! A gift which will truly give joy for a lifetime.
Thank you sir

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop