The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2021, 01:48 PM

Default Cf or laminate small bodied blues box?

Hi.
I've been wanting another guitar for a while. I mainly play a Martin 000 28 style custom.
I've been gravitating more and more to country and delta blues type music.
I would like a smaller guitar, either 0 or 00 size, and probably a slightly smaller than full scale to help my aging hands.
I also would like to be able to get the bottom string or two to have that thump I hear from some Gibson L-00, and I'm sure other, players.
I can't seem to get mine to thump quite like that. I use light strings but maybe it's harder with the full scale?
I've been thinking of a 0 or 00 martin 18 or maybe even a 15.
But I'm also wanting a possibly more durable guitar. Maybe one that I wouldn't stress playing outside, laying down on the grass, not having to worry about humidity issues warping the neck or pulling up the top etc...
So I'm wondering if there are any "good" sounding carbon fiber, or laminate small bodies that are good for blues, having less overtones and less sustain, more clarity.

So I don't want much. Just everything. A bullet proof great sounding, easy playing blues thumper. <grin>.
Any advice, thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Fkius
Breedlove Oregon Concertina Sitka/Myrtlewood
Old 03-08-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwellers View Post
Hi.
I've been wanting another guitar for a while. I mainly play a Martin 000 28 style custom.
I would like a smaller guitar, either 0 or 00 size, and probably a slightly smaller than full scale to help my aging hands.
I also would like to be able to get the bottom string or two to have that thump I hear from some Gibson L-00, and I'm sure other, players.
I can't seem to get mine to thump quite like that. I use light strings but maybe it's harder with the full scale?
But I'm also wanting a possibly more durable guitar. Maybe one that I wouldn't stress playing outside, laying down on the grass, not having to worry about humidity issues warping the neck or pulling up the top etc...
So I'm wondering if there are any "good" sounding carbon fiber, or laminate small bodies that are good for blues, having less overtones and less sustain, more clarity.

So I don't want much. Just everything. A bullet proof great sounding, easy playing blues thumper. <grin>.
Any advice, thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Fkius
I've been beating the drum about this fantastic little Faith Mercury; all solid woods (sorry!), cedar over mahogany, short scale (24"), 12-frets to body and very compact. Comes in a very decent archtopped wooden case as standard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAaLYTzTELo&t=65s
For a couple hundred less the 'Naked' Mercury is a cracker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE6jcIKNtGM
For carbon fibre Emerald make the delightful X7 parlour:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTLLnhnpGKE

Last edited by AndrewG; 03-08-2021 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:55 PM

Look into the Seagull S6 Folk model: solid cedar top, laminated cherry back and sides.

I’ve got one; it’s a great guitar. Terrific sound, compact size.

whm
Old 03-08-2021, 02:04 PM

Thanks, I think I've seen your posts and some others and have looked at these. Nice guitars and company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I've been beating the drum about this fantastic little guitar; all solid woods, cedar over mahogany, short scale (24"), 12-frets to body and very compact. Comes in a very decent archtopped wooden case as standard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAaLYTzTELo&t=65s
Old 03-08-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Look into the Seagull S6 Folk model: solid cedar top, laminated cherry back and sides.

whm
Thanks Wade, I'll definitely check that.
Oh sorry for my signature in the OP.
Typo.
My name is not fdkiw or whatever that said. It's Floyd.

Thanks,
Floyd
Old 03-08-2021, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Have you considered an old, cheaper brand, small-bodied guitar? The 1940 Stella I picked up last fall of craigslist for just $200 fufills every desire you listed - and has way more 'mojo' than any new (especially carbon-fiber) guitar. It's comfy to play and a perfect little finger-picking blues beast!
Old 03-08-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalliamsayn View Post
Have you considered an old, cheaper brand, small-bodied guitar? The 1940 Stella I picked up last fall of craigslist for just $200 fufills every desire you listed - and has way more 'mojo' than any new (especially carbon-fiber) guitar. It's comfy to play and a perfect little finger-picking blues beast!
Hi General,
No I haven't really considered that because I didn't want to deal with old age problems and I have no idea about how to buy an old guitar.
I figured I'd buy it and it would explode on me or something. Haha.
$200 is cheap, wow. I will try to get a little educated on buying old guitars if possible.

Thanks.
Floyd
Old 03-08-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

whm
Nice to see you posting Wade! Hope this means you are mending well.

Just want to 2nd the Seagull Folk cedar suggestion, I have one and it is stellar. Another model I have had in the past and may meet your needs is one of the Alvarez 12 fret parlors. They are really 00 sized and are a lot of tone for the money.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsteve View Post
Nice to see you posting Wade! Hope this means you are mending well.

Just want to 2nd the Seagull Folk cedar suggestion, I have one and it is stellar. Another model I have had in the past and may meet your needs is one of the Alvarez 12 fret parlors. They are really 00 sized and are a lot of tone for the money.
Oh I think you can forget all of that for now.
generalliamsayn has done a number on me !
He mentioned about the old stella guitars and I got to looking and listening to some.
The prices on reverb OMG, I think I have a whole new issue to deal with now. <big grin>

I may need to search or make a new thread about all of these old depression era and war era type blues guitars that are still playable yet affordable.
Talk about Mojo !!!

Thanks,
floyd
Old 03-08-2021, 03:33 PM

You do know that Big Bill Broonzy played a Martin 000-28 during the later-1940s and 1950s. Since Bill's passing, the guitar has resided at the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago.

He seemed to do just fine with it.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...B0&FORM=VDMCNR
Old 03-08-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
You do know that Big Bill Broonzy played a Martin 000-28 during the later-1940s and 1950s. Since Bill's passing, the guitar has resided at the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago.

He seemed to do just fine with it.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...B0&FORM=VDMCNR
Exactly. And not really the sound I'm going for.
Thanks though.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

A Farida OT-22 will meet your sound criteria at about $425 or a touch more. I hesitate to call it bulletproof as some have had issues with in in low humidity. But I think it is pretty solidly put together and sounds pretty close to an L-OO at a fraction of the price.

You could by 3 Gretsch Jim Dandy's for not much more money. Won't have the same low end thump but still pretty bluesy. I'm not sure how they hold up but at $170 a piece you could simply replace them as necessary if you like the tone.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Exactly. And not really the sound I'm going for.
Thanks though.
This guy might have something you like, or he'll build anything (Parlor, 0, 00, 000) using a combo of vintage and newly made parts.

http://vintageparlorguitars.com/index.html

Or you might just want a Gretsch Jim Dandy.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:39 PM

Thank you Reeve and Dukex. I'm gonna check those brands. Just heard something about Gretche Jim Dandy the other day and meant to check it.

Dukex I like that guy's shop. Cool

Thanks,
Floyd
Old 03-08-2021, 05:42 PM

Art & Lutherie Roadhouse are pretty nice!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion