The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2021, 12:52 PM

Default Shopping for a new acoustic: Mahogany or Rosewood

So I'm in the market for a smaller bodied guitar, I currently have a J-35 and a Hummingbird Standard, so both mahogany bodied B/S. My question is, I have it in my head that I need a guitar with rosewood B/S since I already have two mahogany B/S guitars. I like the sound of both. Am I limiting myself? My worry is that they'll all have too similar sound which in my gut seems crazy. I've been eyeing a Larrivee OM-40 with rosewood but would consider mahogany if they are going to sound a bit different. I'm looking for a smaller bodied guitar for fingerpicking mainly. Some strumming but I don't use a pick so I don't attack the strings too hard.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-08-2021, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Well, I'm biased, but you've got Mahogany and like it. Do you want to change? I'm a Mahogany fan, so when you've got the best...

To me, small-bodied guitar for fingerstyle screams out Mahogany, but it just depends on if you like chocolate or vanilla.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:58 PM

I also prefer Mahogany, my Waterford and Gibson are Mahogany b/s, and see most of my finger style blues playing. But I do love having my rosewood Collings, that deeper, rumbling sound is a treat and a nice variation from my mahoganys. Its a 000 and a fingerpicking dream. I think you're on the right track with the Larivee.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 03-08-2021, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

I think a smaller body is going to sound different enough from what you have regardless of wood choice. I have a rosewood Breedlove 12 fret I enjoy very much but I think I would like it’s all solid hog even more. Nice to have variety though.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 03-08-2021, 02:16 PM

If the guitar brings a different color to your palette it is not silly at all.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 03-08-2021, 02:22 PM

Both make outstanding choices for a small bodied acoustic. I would go rosewood for a change of flavour.

In my experience 12 fret rosewood guitars can sound quite dark, so personally I would check out a 00 or 000-28 style guitar with 14frets to the body as they are more versatile in my opinion.

The martin 00-28 seems a great place to start if your budget allows.

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 03-08-2021, 02:29 PM

You didn't mention price, but I recently purchased a Martin 000-28EC and every time I pick it up it amazes me. If you don't like a chunky modified V neck you could go with the standard 000-28 with the MLO neck and save a few bucks. I happen to love the mod V neck so I also picked up a CEO-7 which also amazes me when ever I pick it up. Two completely different sounding guitars and still a hard choice each time I play.
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple
Old 03-08-2021, 04:59 PM

I prefer a Rosewood OM for most fingerstyle (I also like cedar tops), but I'd be happy with mahogany as well. For me, it depends more on the guitar than the woods.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Buy a used rosewood guitar. Sell it if you don't like it, and basically it will be a wash.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:15 PM

You've already got two mahogany guitars, so I don't see a reason not to switch it up with some rosewood unless you're dead set on staying with mahogany.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

I suggest a used 12 fret Taylor 522. All hog and plays/sounds incredible!
Old 03-08-2021, 06:43 PM

Just a thought. You could also try and split the difference if not sure you want to go the full step from mahogany to rosewood. Walnut was being looked at by poster in another thread today, and I believe it is available from Larrivee. I have always played spruce/rosewood and recently purchased another of the same.

However, I also purchased a spruce/walnut and found it to be sort of in between rosewood and mahogany. My ears were not quite ready to go full mahogany, but the walnut is training me well! I am sure it won't be long until I want a mahogany.

Best,

Mac
Old 03-08-2021, 06:57 PM

Your concern about having too many similar sounding guitars...if you get another 'hog of the same make/model that will be a very real possibility. But as others have said, other builders will work different tonal signatures out of 'hog guitars due to their bracing, tops, etc. Remember the top determines a majority of the sound, so a cedar over mahogany is going to sound way different than a sitka over mahogany.

That said, I'm a real "variety is the spice of life" guy, so if I were in your shoes (and I was but in reverse, I had mostly EIR b/s) I would buy what I didn't have. My D-18MD was my first 'hog backed guitar but it won't be my last. There's a reason rosewood and mahogany are the most prevalent b/s combo, they have a broad range of appeal for their respective sound signatures.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 03-08-2021, 07:34 PM

Having owned nothing but mahogany, I waited 30 years before I got my first rosewood guitar last year and have no idea why I waited so long. I like the rich tone rosewood gives to a spruce top and my spruce mahogany's are beginning to sound slightly shrill so I might have gotten myself in trouble.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
If the guitar brings a different color to your palette it is not silly at all.
What he said. I like having variety. Otherwise what’s the point of having different guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion