The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-05-2021, 06:46 PM

Default NHD! Upgraded to the Helix LT

Upgraded from the Pod Go to the Helix LT. Wow. So much more to learn. Already got it dirty.

Old 03-06-2021, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! I got a Helix LT a little over a year ago, and you're right... there's so much to learn. And I play mostly acoustic, so I'm trying to rearrange my room layout to make it more electric-friendly (albeit still with headphones).
Old 03-06-2021, 05:34 PM

Ive had mine about 6 months and am still on a very steep learning curve.
Its an excellent bit of kit though
Old 03-07-2021, 10:49 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I switched over to Helix from the HD500X about a year ago and am still learning. Probably one of the biggest learning tools for me is using it in the recording sessions I play for clients. I'd spent time on the forums reading up at the start. Playing the sessions made me apply the stuff in my head really quickly because the sessions are on deadlines and you have to get your sounds for the session. As a result, I've had to get some reliable sounds.

One thing I did was to create four basic presets that form the backbone for the majority of what I do in the studio. I have a Fender Blackface clean sound, a Fender Blackface crunch sound, a Fender Blackface lead sound, and a Marshall 1987 (Trem) 50 watt lead sound. Those presets sit in a single row. All share the same basic group of processing: a compressor and Prince of Tone drive before the amp, a selected favorite speaker system, and stereo echo and reverb after. Each processor is on a stomp button so I can clean up the sounds in a heartbeat. I refined those sounds and ignored trying other amps and FX for a while in order to learn the system and in order to make sure I had the tools i needed. It really helped!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-08-2021, 08:38 PM

Bob, I'm also a fan of sticking with an amp or two and figuring out how to use the system. I did that on the Pod Go and think I turned out to be a much better user than if I constantly jumped around the presets and amps.

I spent a solid week getting a usable acoustic tone for this past Sunday. For some reason I was able to dial it in quicker with the Pod Go. But the work paid off and everyone said it sounded great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars