The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2021, 03:14 PM

Thanks for the continued responses.

I'm erring towards Firch and waiting for the stores to open so I can go and get my hands on some.

For those who have owned a Firch, or has any knowledge of them, have there ever been any long-term issues with their neck design -the truss rod/carbon sleeve bit?
Old 03-08-2021, 07:10 PM

Hi Mr. Paul - I played for 30 years on and off before really jumping in on nice acoustics. I was lucky though - my dad played and I got the chance to Gibsons and Guilds growing up but had a Takmine of my own till I was 40.

Jumped in - bought a Martin HD28V. It was worth it. Go for the Martin - the sounds and things it will open up for you to explore will blow you mind. That or a Gibson.

It might need to be used in your price range but it will be worth it.

I get rational people will talk price range and points for specific guitars - this isn't rational in that way - this is you are close to the price point and the Martin is worth it man! Splurge here. You've got years into this. Get one - you will never regret it. They are worth it is my rationale. You will be amazed how your playing changes with the right tool. Think a used D-28 or D-18 if you can't swing the D 28.

There are other Martins to look at too - but the 28's and 18's are consistent and available. OM-28s are nice, 000-28's are nice - but D-28's and D-18's are the workhorses. You've been hearing them in what you listen to all your life and don't even know you need a Martin to sound like that yet - and you can!
Martin HD12-28 Custom 2019
Takamine Sante Fe 1990
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster

Last edited by Eryc74; 03-08-2021 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Paul View Post
Hi

I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice (please).

Acoustic guitarist of 30 years. Currently have a lovely Tanglewood and a solid Taylor dreadnought. Big birthday coming up so I'm looking at possibly buying a new acoustic. Looking at Taylor or Martin but open to anything really. As I said, top budget £1500 UK). Mainly strumming, occasional picking.

What's good at the moment?
At that price, look for a used Taylor GA
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 03-19-2021, 02:37 PM

Update:

I had the opportunity today to play a couple of Audens -the Austin and the Chester.

I was really impressed. Extremely well-finished and very easy to play. It's always difficult to get a good feel for a guitar when there's nothing to compare it to, so after spending an hour with my son swapping between the two Audens and chatting about which one we preferred (we both thought the Austin) I picked up a Tanglewood cutaway, similar to one that I've owned and loved for 25 plus years. They were worlds apart. The Auden is just so much bigger and richer sounding. I was impressed with the pickup system as well.

I was pointed at the Auden by Richards Guitars, who suggested that I was looking at something like a Furch Yellow but this was out of budget and they feel the Auden is better.

I think I'm going to go for it. The difficulty is that to try the other smaller makes it means travelling -I'm just outside Bristol and would have to visit at least Exeter and Stratford upon Avon. I can't imagine a Furch would be better than this, and that it would just come down to preference. And I can't cope with that hole that Eastman have decided to chop out of the top of their acoustics now.

The Austin appears to be a much nicer guitar than the Martin and Taylor alternatives (which are hard to get hold of right now anyway). I guess I'm just wanting someone to tell me that I won't be making a bad decision....

https://audenguitars.com/product/art...pruce-cutaway/
Old 03-21-2021, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Hi

Acoustic guitarist of 30 years. Currently have a lovely Tanglewood and a solid Taylor dreadnought. Big birthday coming up so I'm looking at possibly buying a new acoustic. Looking at Taylor or Martin but open to anything really. As I said, top budget £1500 UK). Mainly strumming, occasional picking.

Guild is making really good guitars right now, I have a 2020 Guild D40 Traditional, it's crazy good.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wy1HzGv7uJU
Old 03-22-2021, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Hi

From Taylor: a used 3XX or GA (lettered series) or anything from the American Dream series

From Martin: the 15 Series (all-mahogany)

Gibson: look for any J-15 out there. Great bargain
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 03-22-2021, 12:33 PM

I am a lifelong Martin guy but I just picked up a Gibson J-15 and it is an amazingly good sounding guitar. I cannot put it down.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion