The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-01-2021, 11:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I have a wood body resonator in my bucket list somewhere. But nothing in my sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I had wanted one for a few years, ever since a friend unexpectedly gave me a 1930's Regal wood bodied spider bridge resonator mandolin. It has the sweetest, purest clear tone. I thought "I'd love to get a guitar that sounds like this."

I never have, but last fall I got a Gold Tone Paul Beard round neck resonator guitar.

I'm really enjoying it. I'm not (yet) a slide player. I love finger picking (bare fingers), flat picking, and strumming this guitar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
The only resonator I like better in wood is a spider cone. Wood resonators are pleasant enough, but they just take away the a good part of what I like about resonators. Of those in the video, I would pick the El Trovador.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
I'm considering the M-1 Tricone for next year. I want a change up sonically from my steel body Triolian.
Thanks for posting, guys!
Old 02-01-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Sounds Select Guitars View Post
This El Trovador is my personal guitar, built in 2008 so it has some breaking in time. I love it for fingerstyle pieces. Here's an example that I posted recently:

Lovely! National used to, and may still, ship it with 12s, and recommend their use on the El Trovador. What do you do on your own guitar?
Old 02-01-2021, 12:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Lovely! National used to, and may still, ship it with 12s, and recommend their use on the El Trovador. What do you do on your own guitar?
Yes, 12's. I think it had Martin Retro strings at the time of this video, have changed to PB strings since. With the 25.6" scale length, the 12's have plenty of tension and remain comfortable. Thanks Blue!
Old 02-01-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Hi tdq,

The Thunderbox is a single cone resonator, as opposed to the M1 tricone in this video. Of the three guitars in this comparison, it has more in common with the El Trovador with its 4" depth, and with the ResoRocket with its short scale length (25.0"). It does have that cool wood bodied National vibe. I've played a couple and like them a lot.
Cool thanks for the info.
Dang I guess I need one of everything.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 02-01-2021, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

I own a wooden Rocket and I like those a lot. If I found the right deal on an El Trovador with a cutaway I would buy it. For some reason I think guitars with cutaways look cooler and I definitely like the sound that the deeper body on the El Trovador produces.
What I really liked about your videos was the artwork behind you, what a beautiful paining and Dragonfly!
Old 02-01-2021, 06:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
I own a wooden Rocket and I like those a lot. If I found the right deal on an El Trovador with a cutaway I would buy it. For some reason I think guitars with cutaways look cooler and I definitely like the sound that the deeper body on the El Trovador produces.
What I really liked about your videos was the artwork behind you, what a beautiful paining and Dragonfly!
Thanks! That painting really stands out, always gets comments. My wife picked the spot for my videos, I'll pass along your compliment!
Old 02-01-2021, 07:12 PM

Had a M1but now playing a Reso Rocket WB ..love it. I am not a slide player and play this guitar as I would, or similar as, a flattop. I put a National Hot Plate on it which opened it up to another world of sound and tone.. The wide neck on these is simply incredible . I am a cross picker so this wider neck gives wider string spacing. I have had other resonators but there is nothing like a National....

Old 02-01-2021, 07:36 PM

I’ve had two metal body Nationals, a tricone and biscuit bridge. Both round necks. I don’t play slide except on a lap steel. I got rid of them pretty quickly, just too harsh.

I have a wooden spider cone now. It’s an American round neck Beard Deco Phonic (which is different from the Goldtone/Beard collaboration, although those are very decent resonators for the money). The Deco Phonic a great little guitar. The neck is not as wide as Nationals, so much easier to play.

If I played slide, that might all change.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGraw View Post
Had a M1but now playing a Reso Rocket WB ..love it. I am not a slide player and play this guitar as I would, or similar as, a flattop. I put a National Hot Plate on it which opened it up to another world of sound and tone.. The wide neck on these is simply incredible . I am a cross picker so this wider neck gives wider string spacing. I have had other resonators but there is nothing like a National....
Hi Marty,
Thanks for posting. I'm curious about your take on the Hot Plate - I love the idea of it, haven't played one yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
I’ve had two metal body Nationals, a tricone and biscuit bridge. Both round necks. I don’t play slide except on a lap steel. I got rid of them pretty quickly, just too harsh.

I have a wooden spider cone now. It’s an American round neck Beard Deco Phonic (which is different from the Goldtone/Beard collaboration, although those are very decent resonators for the money). The Deco Phonic a great little guitar. The neck is not as wide as Nationals, so much easier to play.

If I played slide, that might all change.
Hi Hoyt,
I've heard great things about the Beard Deco Phonic. Just saw a video of Tommy Emmanuel playing one. Cool instrument! By the way, the El Trovador's nut width is 1 3/4", so not so wide compared to other Nationals.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Hi Marty,
Thanks for posting. I'm curious about your take on the Hot Plate - I love the idea of it, haven't played one yet.
There is one built into my reso-tone. My only complaint, and it is personal taste, is that the lollar tele neck pickup is way too polite. But the concept works wonderfully.

However in the solid body instruments it is installed in, a little hotter pickup would make the guitar much more versatile. As it is, if you want some grit, like the old Lightnin' Hopkins with a Dearmond soundhole pickup sound, you might want an overdrive pedal.

For the "acoustic" Nationals, you're probably wanting something like a miked sound, or as close to it as possible, and the pickup is nice for that. A surprising amount of reso character comes through the pickup.

If you've never played a reso-tone, or resolectric, you will be surprised at how loud they are unplugged.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:40 PM

I bought a national wood body reso rockett in October. I love it. It's got a great sound. My reason for the wood over metal was due to weight mostly. I would like to eventually get another and possibly have a metal body but that's not in the near future. My wood RR has a great warm tone and it's very light which is a plus
Old 02-03-2021, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

The hotplate is a cool option but it does not really capture the "resonator" sound in my opinion. The Krivo pickup does a great option for that.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozeman View Post
I bought a national wood body reso rockett in October. I love it. It's got a great sound. My reason for the wood over metal was due to weight mostly. I would like to eventually get another and possibly have a metal body but that's not in the near future. My wood RR has a great warm tone and it's very light which is a plus
Weight is a huge factor - these are so much lighter and therefore more comfortable, especially if you need to play standing up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
The hotplate is a cool option but it does not really capture the "resonator" sound in my opinion. The Krivo pickup does a great option for that.
This is the second time in the last couple of days that I've heard great things about the Krivo. Thanks for the link!
Old 02-03-2021, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Hi Larry,

I really enjoyed your video! Great sounds! And what fun playing those resonators!

I do not own a resonator, but I keep getting tempted. I also have never learned to play with slide, but I should!

I really enjoyed your presentation Larry! Well done!

- Glenn
Old 02-04-2021, 09:29 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I do not own a resonator, but I keep getting tempted. I also have never learned to play with slide, but I should!
I picked up a National last year and started slide in the summer. It's been a fun ride!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments