The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2021, 04:49 PM

Default Guitar pick story #85: Keeping it in church

A Young lady sits down in the chair and I asked her if she played guitars or what hobbies she had.

She said that she played in church every week. She started with a cheap guitar that was hard to play. And so she saved up $200 to buy a guitar. She asked her preacher to go with her to a flea market that had a booth with a lot of guitars that they sold. They were standing in front of the booth when a little old arthritic lady walked up to them. The lady asked if they were looking for a guitar. They said yes, and pointed over to the guitar booth and asked if she worked there. The lady said no I don’t work here. I live across the street. I have three guitars that I would like for you to see, if you will just come with me.

They were a little leery, but they went with the lady. When they got in the house she brought out three guitar cases. The first one she opened and handed a very nice older Yamaha to the young girl. It was a great guitar and the girl said could you take $200? The lady said sure.
Then the lady turned around and looked at the young pastor. She said I also have something you want to see. She then opened up the case and showed him a Martin D 28. It was also very good guitar, although the neck was worn from the many years the old lady had played in church.

He said, “ma’am this is worth a lot more money than I can put together.” She said how much do you have? He said I can only get $500 together. She said you can have it for $500 if you promise to play it in church every week.
You see my arthritis is too bad to play in church any more, but I want the guitars to keep on playing in church. He was happy to give her the $500. To this day the young lady and the preacher play every week with the Yamaha and the D-28.
(The girl could not remember what Martin he had bought, so I actually stopped to have her text him and see what it was)
I tend to think these things are urban legends, and then a story like this walks in and sits down in my exam chair!
Old 03-08-2021, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Stories like this make me smile! :-) Thanks for sharing yet another great Guitar Pick Story.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 03-08-2021, 10:17 PM

Smile

Great guitar story! Thanks for sharing.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 03-09-2021, 07:03 AM

I keep looking for stories and felt there were no good ones left. Then this girl comes in.
I wish I had asked what was in the third case. That would be a story to find out where it went!
Old 03-09-2021, 07:06 AM

I love these stories!

This is a good one!
Old 03-09-2021, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

That story is a heart warmer. That’s wonderful.
Thanks.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
...(The girl could not remember what Martin he had bought, so I actually stopped to have her text him and see what it was)...
Haha! You're great, whvick!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 03-09-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
I have three guitars that I would like for you to see, if you will just come with me.

When they got in the house she brought out three guitar cases.

The first one she opened and handed a very nice older Yamaha to the young girl.

Then the lady turned around and looked at the young pastor. She said I also have something you want to see. She then opened up the case and showed him a Martin D 28.
Good story! Umm... what was the third guitar?
Old 03-09-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Haha! You're great, whvick!

Yeah, she was a player singer, not a guitar geek. Would not know about red label Yammies, ETC.
I asked if it were a Martin or Gibson. Then she remembered that it was a “D-something”. That is when the story Hunter guitar geek in me could not back off! I had to ask her to text him. [emoji848][emoji6]
Old 03-09-2021, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

What a great story and i sure see how the older lady would want those guitars to keep on doing what she bought them for.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-09-2021, 10:43 AM

Can't believe they fell for the "little old lady with the fake Martin" scam
Old 03-09-2021, 10:48 AM

I hope they can keep in touch with the little old lady. I'm sure it would make her soul flourish knowing that the guitar she once played is still helping others worship to this day. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-09-2021, 03:53 PM

I might try to follow up on this story. It is special and more details would be fun.
Did she ever visit their church?
What was the other guitar?
Just a fun story. I was feeling bad that I had not gotten anything fun lately, and this is better than fun!
Old 03-09-2021, 04:25 PM

I’m getting to the point where I’m starting to think seriously about thinning the herd and sell off and even give away some of my guitars. The ones worth serious money will be going on consignment at Elderly; some will get sold locally, and others still I’m giving to friends.

Basically, if they’re worth enough money, I want my wife and future widow to get as much advantage from them as possible. The lowball stuff, though, might as well go to friends.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-09-2021, 08:30 PM

This story reminds me of a similar one from the early 90’s. I happened to be in a guitar shop in Dayton Ohio and struck up a conversation with the owner about Martin guitars and how I always wanted a pearl topped Martin but could never afford one. He then told me about a certain D-41 that was once owned by George Strait that had found its way to his shop, and that he had given it to a friend of his on one condition: yep, he could only play it in church!

Even though I had just met this individual he told me had I been there a week ago he would have given that guitar to me since I dreamed of owning such a guitar, and I too played in church! Long story short, I never was able to acquire a pearl topped Martin, which is OK because at 66(next Sunday!) that ship has sailed and I’ve learned to be happy with less.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion