The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-07-2021, 09:02 PM

Default The things that you find on the Goodwill site

I stumbled across this on the Goodwill auction site. I’m not much of a Gibson fan, but some on this forum are.
Gibson Deluxe Acoustic Guitar J-40 D342409 USA
I wouldn’t bet on the present bid price holding however. A lot of last second bidding happens with these high end guitars that are offered here.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:45 AM

I check SGW from time to time. 99% of the guitar stuff is junk. Anything that isn't usually goes for crazy high prices. I did pick up a Korg SP-100 keyboard for $81 a couple of weeks ago, so sometimes you get lucky.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin1155 View Post
I check SGW from time to time. 99% of the guitar stuff is junk. Anything that isn't usually goes for crazy high prices. I did pick up a Korg SP-100 keyboard for $81 a couple of weeks ago, so sometimes you get lucky.
Yep, I agree. You pays your money and you takes your chances. I laugh a little at some of them. I consistently see used Shure SM 57 and SM 58 mics going for $70+ with $20 shipping charges. Just about every internet vendor sells these brand new for $99 and free shipping. So for a $5 to &10 savings you buy a pig in a poke that may be anything from a Chinese clone to a non working mic? I don’t think so. But as you say, once in a while..... I got my Dean 4 string acoustic bass from them and it’s like brand new except for one bridge pin that is white while the other 3 are black, and I paid less than $60 including the shipping.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:02 AM

In the last couple of years I have run across both a Kel Kroyden and a Carl Holzapfel on the Goodwill site. While neither is easy to find you can look for year after year and never run across a Holzapfel. Despite them both being in what appeared "rough" shape (and that is putting it kindly) I bid on them. I got neither.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

I've bought a few pieces of gear on SGW, but the real disadvantage there is that they do not guaranty anything. You have to rely on descriptions from folks who likely don't know anything about the gear they're selling. If you get a lemon, you're stuck - no returns. Also the shipping prices are weirdly inconsistent. It's worth checking how much they'll charge to ship something before bidding.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:54 PM

My son and grandson buy low end stuff and clean it up and sell it. But they say the good stuff gets caught in bidding wars and gets expensive.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion