The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-21-2021, 02:27 AM

Tried the diluted Tru oil yesterday and I wished I'd done this earlier as I found it much easier to apply thinly and consistently. It also dried faster.
I went for the 3:1 ratio (thank you!) and applied to coats throughout the day, the gloss level definitely went up a notch or two. I'm going to repeat the process today and then leave it to cure for 4 or 5 days before attaching the bridge. I'll post some pictures when completed, but overall I'm pleased with the result and learned a lot about using Tru Oil along the way.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:30 PM

Default Finished

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I've now finished the guitar and my final thoughts on Tru Oil are largely positive. Will I use it again? More than likely, it's more straightforward than FP to use and the final appearance is only slightly less gloss - although that may be my FP technique! If i was using Rosewood, or another wood with deep pores, I'd want to use something other than the BC sealer and filler or at least use it differently. There were quite a few scratches in the finish but they came out after a light wet sanding starting with 1000 and up to 2000 and steel wool at the start of the each of the last few days of finishing. The final few scratches pretty much disappeared with an application of Novus 2. it will be interesting to see how it wears over the next few months, it does feel noticeably harder than FP - again that may be my technique though.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerninja View Post
Thanks to everyone for their advice. I've now finished the guitar and my final thoughts on Tru Oil are largely positive. Will I use it again? More than likely, it's more straightforward than FP to use and the final appearance is only slightly less gloss - although that may be my FP technique! If i was using Rosewood, or another wood with deep pores, I'd want to use something other than the BC sealer and filler or at least use it differently. There were quite a few scratches in the finish but they came out after a light wet sanding starting with 1000 and up to 2000 and steel wool at the start of the each of the last few days of finishing. The final few scratches pretty much disappeared with an application of Novus 2. it will be interesting to see how it wears over the next few months, it does feel noticeably harder than FP - again that may be my technique though.

Excellent. It does take patience to use but comes out beautifully. One of my favorite things about Tru Oil is that it does form a very hard and natural finish and darkens some as it cures. Should you scratch, chip, or mar the finish in any way, you can simply build up repair coats with no problems. You can brush the Tru Oil on and then smooth out with an old credit card wrapped inside a good lint-free shop towel. I'm a fan of the stuff personally as it is easily repairable, easy to find, and gives professional results. I'd use it again in a heartbeat.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerninja View Post

It would be great to post some pictures of the final product. I am getting ready to start the finish process on my OM and I would like to use Tru Oil.

Thanks in advance

Blues Creek OM I built
Martin D-15M
Martin D12X1
Guild D-40 Traditional
Guild D-55
Alvarez MPA70
Alvarez AFA1965
1968 Harmony Sovereign H1260
Fender Modern Player Plus Telecaster
Fender 2019 American Performer Surf Green HS Telecaster
Gold Tone Beard Resonator
Old 03-01-2021, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonecedar View Post
It would be great to post some pictures of the final product. I am getting ready to start the finish process on my OM and I would like to use Tru Oil.

Thanks in advance
Hi
Sorry thought I'd had posted two pictures, but clearly not worked, hopefully this will:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/192044.../shares/s36990

https://www.flickr.com/photos/192044.../shares/6NEF5J
Old 03-01-2021, 11:45 AM

These photos may also help:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/192044.../shares/1E8531

https://www.flickr.com/photos/192044.../shares/J0c9x4
Old 03-01-2021, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful work. Both the build and the finish.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:48 AM

Many thanks for the kind words Brad, much appreciated
Old 03-08-2021, 07:08 AM

Default Thinned Tru Oil

HI there, silly question but which way round is your 3:1 ratio ?

3 parts mineral spirits to 1 part Tru Oil or the other way round ?

Sorry if I'm missing the obvious.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:28 AM

Hi - I used 3 parts Tru Oil to 1 part mineral spirits, I think that's right, it worked for me anyway!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair