The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-07-2021, 01:17 PM

Default Review of my new Emerald X-30

My new X-30 is a great guitar. As per the videos, it really is comfortable to play. My arm tends to hurt after about ½ hour of playing my Taylor due to the sharp edge of the lower bout. I have played my X30 for two hours straight without any discomfort. The sound is full and the bass is impressive. The neck feels like my Taylor. It was a stock guitar, and there were marketing photos on the website. Emerald graciously sent me a USB drive with those photos. The Truss rod wrench was in the case. I have not plugged the guitar into an amplifier as of yet.

Not mentioned in any of the reviews, is that there is a plasticky odor (for lack of a better description) emanating from the sound hole. As I leave my guitar out over the last few nights that odor is dissipating.

The guitar came in tune (I retuned it using my Snark). It was slightly off. Tuning has not changed since.

I noticed when I started playing that there is a significant, non-ignorable buzz on the three bass strings starting at Fret 9. The action was too low. As Carbon fiber guitars would not be expected to change in transit, its apparent the guitar was not set up prior to shipping. Had someone played it they would have noticed. I wonder if Stock models come as is without setup.

It was initially hard to get the wrench engaged with the Truss bar. Eventually I got the correct angle. It was difficult to turn the wrench. It was so stiff I was concerned that if I actually got it to move that I would break the guitar. It is much stiffer than adjusting the Truss bar on my Taylor. Eventually I got the courage to apply enough power to move the wrench. It took ½ turn (180 degrees) counter clockwise, to eliminate the buzz.

I was concerned about buying a guitar without playing it in person. Had I played this guitar in a store and heard the buzz, I would not have bought it. A $3000 guitar should not have a buzz. In any case I fixed it. The action is okay, but it was better when it was lower …with the buzz.

In comparison to my Taylor 814CE, The X-30 is different. Neither is better than the other. I noticed a subtle sweetness (don’t know how else to describe it) in certain musical pieces when played with the Taylor that is not present when played on the X-30. My wife couldn’t hear it. That being said, I can’t stop playing the X-30. I love the sound. The X30 has a fuller bass and is louder. The necks are the same. The X30’s sustain lasts forever longer than the Taylor.

I am glad I bought the guitar. I do not have buyer’s remorse.
2008 Taylor 814CE
2020 Emerald X-30
Old 03-07-2021, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Glad to read this! I placed an order mid last week, and it’s always a bit of a gamble on an unplaced guitar. I’ll be mindful of the action and buzzing, but glad you like the sound, volume and comfort.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-07-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Glad to read this! I placed an order mid last week, and it’s always a bit of a gamble on an unplaced guitar. I’ll be mindful of the action and buzzing, but glad you like the sound, volume and comfort.
I am happy that this was helpful
2008 Taylor 814CE
2020 Emerald X-30
Old 03-07-2021, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

It's always good to read a review that has the good and the bad, I'm always a bit suspicious when a review is over the top. It is great to hear you enjoy it and it is working out well for you.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:39 PM

Congrats on your new X30. It sounds like you’re enjoying yours every bit as much as I’m enjoying mine. I wouldn’t get too bothered by the initial poor setup. In my experience any new guitar I ever bought came with setup issues; to my mind it’s part of the standard cost of doing business. I would not hesitate to bring it in to a trusted luthier to have it dialed in just the way I wanted it.

I also previously owned a Taylor 814c. It was a thing of beauty but it wasn’t built to have the bottom end that the X30 produces. I eventually sold the Taylor while chasing a different kind of sound in my head. Sill loves Taylor’s.

What are you are going to really love is having a guitar sitting in plain view outside of its case, beckoning you to play it(and rarely having to tune it).
Old 03-07-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esimms86 View Post
What are you are going to really love is having a guitar sitting in plain view outside of its case, beckoning you to play it(and rarely having to tune it).
That was the point. I have my Taylor (and Takamine) out all the time, and unfortunately they were starting to show signs of drying out. I bought a humidifier 5 weeks ago. The guitars are better, but I'm fed up with feeding the humidifier. I have never put my guitars in their cases and now I'm paying the price.
The X-30 sounds great... so far. I have been playing all day.
As for the buzz, I was surprised. The way i understood it is that carbon Fiber guitars don't need Truss bars, they were just installed as an afterthought, not a necessity. Good thing the X-30 has one.
2008 Taylor 814CE
2020 Emerald X-30
Old 03-09-2021, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the review and congrats on your X-30! I just bought a stock X-30 as well and it should be here by the end of the week. I’ll be curious if there is any buzzing thanks to your review!
Old 03-09-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake17 View Post
Thanks for the review and congrats on your X-30! I just bought a stock X-30 as well and it should be here by the end of the week. I’ll be curious if there is any buzzing thanks to your review!
You are going to enjoy playing the X-30. It plays acoustically like its amplified.
2008 Taylor 814CE
2020 Emerald X-30
Old 03-09-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrnd View Post
As for the buzz, I was surprised. The way i understood it is that carbon Fiber guitars don't need Truss bars, they were just installed as an afterthought, not a necessity. Good thing the X-30 has one.
The truss rod is often used as a means to correct action problems such as string buzz. While this is a very convenient method it is not the main purpose of a truss rod, which is to prevent the neck from bending under the pressure of the strings.

Action adjustments should preferably be addressed at the saddle (and sometimes at the nut slots). With this in mind carbon fiber guitars do not really need a truss rod.
It is understandable though that people do not want to mess with the saddle on a brand new acoustic guitar. Especially when the action needs to be higher, which would require shimming or a new saddle.

However, your guitar should have been set up better. But what is better? Some people don't mind a little buzz in favor of low action. I count myself in that category because I have a rather light touch.

Many companies employ a different strategy though: They set the action way too high to avoid complaints about fret buzz. That means I usually have to lower the saddle on new guitars.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 03-09-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
. But what is better? Some people don't mind a little buzz in favor of low action. I count myself in that category because I have a rather light touch.
I did not realize that for some people string buzz was an acceptable trade off for low action. I guess I need to get out more.
I think I was a bit diplomatic when I said string buzz. The E Bass string buzzed above the ninth fret even when lightly plucked without a pick.
This is not a $600 guitar.
2008 Taylor 814CE
2020 Emerald X-30
Old 03-09-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I did not realize that for some people string buzz was an acceptable trade off for low action. I guess I need to get out more.

One immensity talented player that we all know and for which this statement is true...

Tommy Emmanuel
Old 03-09-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
You are going to enjoy playing the X-30. It plays acoustically like its amplified.
It sure does, and amplified it has an electric guitar vibe, while maintaining the acoustic tone.

My X30 is hands down one of the finest acoustic guitar I’ve ever played, and that includes a lot of fine instruments. How they do it, I don’t know, I just anticipate every opportunity to play it and it will be by only acoustic guitar.

Enjoy yours!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-09-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:

I noticed when I started playing that there is a significant, non-ignorable buzz on the three bass strings starting at Fret 9. The action was too low......

Eventually I got the courage to apply enough power to move the wrench. It took ½ turn (180 degrees) counter clockwise, to eliminate the buzz.....

The action is okay, but it was better when it was lower …with the buzz.

Another happy x30 enthusiast! Y'all killing me!

Sounds like the saddle was set the same height on both the bass and treble sides, instead of higher on the bass side. If you fix this you can reverse the half turn of the truss rod and get back the nicer action.

If you report it to Emerald they can mail another saddle. Otherwise it's a stock Graphtech item available from the local guitar store costs about the same as a pack of strings. I've read that Emerald uses Graphtech part #9280 (Emerald or graphtech.com can confirm).

On the new saddle the target height on the treble side is same as the Emerald saddle (the action you liked out of the box). On the bass side add the height needed to stop the bass buzz.

It's an easy fix for guitar owners and guitar techs. Would a step by step be useful?

Cheers.
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany

Last edited by casualmusic; 03-09-2021 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
The truss rod is often used as a means to correct action problems such as string buzz. While this is a very convenient method it is not the main purpose of a truss rod, which is to prevent the neck from bending under the pressure of the strings.

Action adjustments should preferably be addressed at the saddle (and sometimes at the nut slots). With this in mind carbon fiber guitars do not really need a truss rod.
It is understandable though that people do not want to mess with the saddle on a brand new acoustic guitar. Especially when the action needs to be higher, which would require shimming or a new saddle.

However, your guitar should have been set up better. But what is better? Some people don't mind a little buzz in favor of low action. I count myself in that category because I have a rather light touch.

Many companies employ a different strategy though: They set the action way too high to avoid complaints about fret buzz. That means I usually have to lower the saddle on new guitars.

From my conversation with Keith, they put a truss rod in so that different players can customize the setup to their preferences. That's the only reason it's there. Otherwise it wouldn't be needed.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
From my conversation with Keith, they put a truss rod in so that different players can customize the setup to their preferences. That's the only reason it's there. Otherwise it wouldn't be needed.
Exactly the reason I wanted one in my RainSong. Once the guitar was set to my liking, I haven't had to touch it since.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber