The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-02-2021, 01:43 PM

An update.

Got a hold of a set of feeler gauges and the action height is actually quite good.
5.5/64ths bass side and 4.5/64ths treble. Neck relief is 6 thousands of an inch. Since none of that should be a problem and nothing seems to be loose inside the body, the issue must be that the guitar somehow dried out in the case even though the room relative humidity has been around 40%. Gonna take it to a luthier to make sure that nothing else is wrong. Hopefully I’ll get it back soon.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis66 View Post
Check the humidity. Sounds like a dry guitar.
I've cured fret buzz by rehumidifying. Keep the guitar in a case for a few days with a damp sponge inside the body. Could be an easy fix. Just my $.02
Old 03-04-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddle Dee View Post
I've cured fret buzz by rehumidifying. Keep the guitar in a case for a few days with a damp sponge inside the body. Could be an easy fix. Just my $.02
That's the thing. it shouldn't have dried out. I've kept in within 40-50% RH since I bought it. I've described the situation a bit more earlier in the thread. I left the guitar at the store where I bought it yesterday. It'll be interesting to se what their luthier says.

Last edited by erkus; 03-04-2021 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:03 AM

Another update.

Luthier couldn't find anything wrong with it. He just raised the action by loosening the truss rod, which it didn't think was the way to do that. The issue is still there. There's some sort of self resonance rattle coming from under the bridge, especially when fretted and it is worse for some notes. If a string is struck hard enough, but not really that hard at all, that background noice turns into primary rattle on that string. I can actually see the string vibrations being affected when the rattle starts.

One interesting note though. I changed from 80/20 back to phosphor bronze strings and it is less noticeable. I'm thinking the rattle was always there I just didn't notice until the 80/20s sort of emphasised it.

2018 Martin HD-28
Old 03-11-2021, 02:36 AM

Default Not confident with your luthier’s approach...

Whilst adjusting neck relief will have an impact on action this isn’t the correct way to achieve good playability.

Phosphor bronze strings have slightly more tension than the equivalent 80/20 sets. I wouldn’t think that this would cause the problem you’re experiencing but it’s just about possible.

You need to find a luthier or tech with better diagnostic skills. I’d want the neck relief checked, then the frets themselves to identify any high ones. If this reveals no issues then I’d be looking at the saddle height. Once all these are dealt with then any remaining buzzes have to be down to hardware or bracing.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:18 AM

Your action and relief are fine. What I hear in your first recording is a guitar with action set just a smidgen too low (on the D string). Since the D string is the only one with the issue, my suggestion would be to get a new saddle. It's hard to tell from the angle of your photo, but it looks as though the saddle may be too flat (not enough radius) on the top. If overall action was too low, you'd hear dirty notes on other strings as well. A Colosi saddle may clena up the issue.

I didn't hear the same amount of distortion on all the frets played which indicates a light leveling and dressing of the frets will be in order if you want clean notes with action on the low side. It's not uncommon for new guitars to need this a couple of years down the road as they settle into being a guitar.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkus View Post
Another update.

Luthier couldn't find anything wrong with it. He just raised the action by loosening the truss rod, which it didn't think was the way to do that. The issue is still there. .
Find another luthier

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair