The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-29-2021, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD: D'Angelico EX-63

On a whim, I ordered an EX 63 round hole archtop, used. I wanted something to compliment my new AR610. What a fun instrument! Although it's not solid, it sounds really good! Pictures soon!
Old 01-30-2021, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Here are the two together.20210130_132631.jpg
Old 01-30-2021, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Bonedigger, what is your general opinion on the imported D'Angelico electrics regardless of their body styles? I've been seeing them the last few years and I've been wondering about their craftsmanship, playability, and tone. Thanks!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-30-2021, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Bonedigger, what is your general opinion on the imported D'Angelico electrics regardless of their body styles? I've been seeing them the last few years and I've been wondering about their craftsmanship, playability, and tone. Thanks!
I think they are on par with similar price range guitars. I have played a few of the $400-700 range semi hollow and hollow bodied Asian made D'Angelico guitars and they sounded and played on par with most of the Korean Gretsches and the Epiphones. I do believe resale would be better on an Epi or Gretsch though due to name recognition.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

BD... Late Christmas? Somebody has been on a shopping spree! Congrats!
Old 01-30-2021, 05:09 PM

I got one of these 63's 2 years ago.Absolutely love it.After some tweaking its got the absolute smoothest action of any acoustic I ever played, very close to my electrics.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
BD... Late Christmas? Somebody has been on a shopping spree! Congrats!
I go through "phases"! [emoji1787] I buy, sell, buy, sell...
Old 02-03-2021, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

After having the guitar for close to a week now, I must say it's quite a fun guitar! It's not quite as responsive as my Eastman but it has great tone and is very well built! I was really blown away by how fun it is to play!
Old 03-16-2021, 11:47 AM

Just found this thread - my grandpa's main guitar was a 40s Emperor without a pickup (grandpa hated electric guitars - that's why he made me my first guitar [a small acoustic - grandpa was a luthier], rather than let my uncle give me a cheap Harmony Bobcat), and I briefly dabbled with an Epiphone Century Series DeLuxe. Since I said goodbye to my Taylor AD-27 (its thin neck was uncomfortable for me), I've been contemplating replacing it with another archtop acoustic (I've had Gretsches off and on since 2008), and learned about the EX-63. I'm intrigued by it, but what is it's neck like - thin like the current D'Angelicos, or nice and chunky?

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95
Old 03-16-2021, 12:03 PM

Hi, Ellen.I wouldnt call the neck on the EX 63 overly thin, but I havent played an acoustic in over 30 yrs before I got the 63 about 2 yrs ago and my reference is from an electric standpoint.What I did like at first glance at the 63 was the neck and action being close to an electric, so you might find it too thin.I would say you should find one in a store to try first and not buy blindly online.This may be hard to do since it was discontinued.I believe GC may still have some in stock.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes1971 View Post
Hi, Ellen.I wouldnt call the neck on the EX 63 overly thin, but I havent played an acoustic in over 30 yrs before I got the 63 about 2 yrs ago and my reference is from an electric standpoint.What I did like at first glance at the 63 was the neck and action being close to an electric, so you might find it too thin.I would say you should find one in a store to try first and not buy blindly online.This may be hard to do since it was discontinued.I believe GC may still have some in stock.
Thanks for the info. My other thought is another Epiphone Century Series (the Deluxe I had, had a pretty chunky neck). I'd like to get another Eastman (I have an Eastman E8OM - loooove the neck!), but their archtop acoustics are pretty pricey. There are the vintage ones, but more than likely that means one that's almost like firewood, like a Harmony or Kay, or a Gibson, Epiphone, or Gretsch that would need work.

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95
Old 03-16-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl View Post
...I'd like to get another Eastman...but their archtop acoustics are pretty pricey. There are the vintage ones, but more than likely that means one that's almost like firewood, like a Harmony or Kay, or a Gibson, Epiphone, or Gretsch that would need work.
Not necessarily - I've seen very-good-to-excellent examples of the (discontinued) all-carved Eastman AR605 non-cutaway 16" comp box selling for $1000-1200 (about what you'd pay for a primo no-issues '50s Kay or a vintage Gibson/Epiphone/Gretsch that needs TLC, as you state), the MIJ Gretsch Synchromatic 400 17" non-cut (think George Michael) for similar money, and serviceable New York Epiphone Blackstone/Zenith (as well as some early-Kalamazoo examples of the latter) 16-inchers in the $1200-1800 range; the trick here is to be both persistent and ready to move right now when the right one comes along - the NY Epis in particular were/are largely a Northeast Corridor regional phenomenon, and FYI you're not the only one who's looking...
Old 03-17-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Not necessarily - I've seen very-good-to-excellent examples of the (discontinued) all-carved Eastman AR605 non-cutaway 16" comp box selling for $1000-1200 (about what you'd pay for a primo no-issues '50s Kay or a vintage Gibson/Epiphone/Gretsch that needs TLC, as you state), the MIJ Gretsch Synchromatic 400 17" non-cut (think George Michael) for similar money, and serviceable New York Epiphone Blackstone/Zenith (as well as some early-Kalamazoo examples of the latter) 16-inchers in the $1200-1800 range; the trick here is to be both persistent and ready to move right now when the right one comes along - the NY Epis in particular were/are largely a Northeast Corridor regional phenomenon, and FYI you're not the only one who's looking...
Ugh!! I forgot about the MIJ/Terada made Gretsch Synchromatic - silly me!! Especially since I almost bought one 9 years ago! Thanks for the reminder. Also I'll keep the Blackstones & Zeniths in mind - along with the Gibson L-50s. Thanks for the ideas

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95
Old 03-17-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl View Post
...I'll keep the Blackstones & Zeniths in mind - along with the Gibson L-50s...
FWIW you'll pay 30-50% more for the L-50 on name alone, and IME as much as twice the price for an acoustic Super 400 versus an Epiphone Emperor in comparable condition; another benefit in your case is that, except for certain upper-line models in the 1937-39 period, New York Epiphone necks can be seriously chunky - frequently measuring in excess of .90" at the first fret (tenth-fret measurements of 1.10" are not uncommon) - and as I'm sure you're aware from first-hand experience, quality equals or exceeds their Gibson counterparts...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops