The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2021, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aK_bAsh7 View Post
I could happily play one of those necks. But, as I've said, they leave me cold, sound-wise.
I've never played a "cold" sounding Bourgeois. Let's clarify what "cold sounding" is. Are you saying it was too bright sounding for your taste or is "cold" to you the dead lifeless sound that could have been old strings? LOL, now that I think of it the opposite may be a possibility also,......there is a particular brand of strings that are coated and every guitar I've heard using those strings sounds cold/sterile to me.

Last edited by hifivic; 01-22-2021 at 01:24 AM.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
aK_bAsh7-

I believe many of us have been in the same spot. My present guitar, a Bourgeois 00 Country Boy was discovered by accident. In 2014, I had been trying various guitars over the course of a year hoping to move up from my Guild GAD30. That year, I paid a visit to 'The Music Emporium' in Lexington, MA - a very observant sales associate, Andy Cambria, was able to home in on exactly what I was looking for; he handed me the Bourgeois and my face lit up. So, I believe that the right guitar is out there waiting.

My guess is that over time and testing many guitars, our brains, ears and muscles figure out what we don't want, and then, when a guitar with adequate parameters shows up, the light goes off and the bells start to ring.

Bottom line, keep looking and enjoy the journey.

best,

Rick

PS - A used guitar has hopefully already begun to open up in its sound and playability. My Bourgeois was four years old when I purchased it (consignment). It looked like it had never been played. Over the past six years, it has continued to blossom. The guitar is now 10 years old and keeps sounding better every year. Factory built new guitars always sound muted and tight to me. Luthier built guitars seem to be ready to sing straight out of the case.
Rick: what you suggest about "time and testing" makes a lot of sense.
I have nothing against used guitars. In fact, I'd prefer one.
Around here, craigslist has the most used guitars and I'd rather buy from a reputable shop.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmccamey View Post
Good job! You just summarized every thread in every guitar forum that ever has been or ever will be! I may put that list in my signature.

Be my guest !
Old 01-22-2021, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
I also get along well with the Bourgeois neck profile. For years, I too was left cold by the sound of every Bourgeois that I came across. Then, to my surprise I picked up one that hit the sweet spot of tone and playability for me. It may be that there's a unicorn Bourgeois out there that you'll find to your liking, so if/when you run across one at least give it a try. You just never know..

Well, sure, it's possible. . .

Just out of curiosity, what model is the "unicorn" you found ?
Old 01-22-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifivic View Post
I've never played a "cold" sounding Bourgeois. Let's clarify what "cold sounding" is. Are you saying it was too bright sounding for your taste or is "cold" to you the dead lifeless sound that could have been old strings? LOL, now that I think of it the opposite may be a possibility also,......there is a particular brand of strings that are coated and every guitar I've heard using those strings sounds cold/sterile to me.
The expression: "It leaves me cold" typically means "it fails to move me".
And no, the Bourgeois guitars I've played did not have dead strings.
It's simply a matter of personal taste.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Gryphon is about 3.5 hours away but their stock has been pretty low, for some time. I'm 64 and don't really want to spend more time than that on the freeway, at this point. I could get what I want in terms of neck/nut if I went custom, but the prospect of paying up front and commiting to a guitar I've never played doesn't sit right with me. At this point, I can't think of anything else to try, which is why I've decided to simply stop.
I live 25 minutes from Gryphon. I have not tried a new guitar there in years. I do play everything of interest on the used wall, pre covid, that strikes my fancy. Plenty of boutique guitars end up there. What I've found is there are a lot of really fine guitars. But ever since I bought an M 36 25 years ago, nothing has been dramatically better than what I have. It now takes prime vintage to get my juices going, but I'm a sub $5k guy in a $10k world now. I've moved on to dreads. But I've played the likes of Authentics and such and found them too pretty sounding for me. Really good, but my thing leans toward 60s D 18s now.

More disconcerting is trying to find a $5k mandolin I'd like more than my home built that has opened up in the last two years. More maddening is I can afford one. So I've refocused on playing. An instrument will have to find me.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-22-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
"Air guitar" ? ;o)

Seriously, what is it?
The opposite, a monster guitar in the form of an Emerald X30 Carbon Fiber guitar.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-22-2021, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Great thread! But to borrow a phrase from Bob Seeger, sometimes I wish I didnt know now what I didnt know when I got my first Guitar! I was so thrilled—nothing bothered me-skinny neck, fat neck, little nut, string spacing, fret width, open or closed back tuners, pick guard materiel.....I just loved and played any guitar I could call my own! But hey, its all good!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 01-23-2021, 01:28 AM

AMEN brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Great thread! But to borrow a phrase from Bob Seeger, sometimes I wish I didnt know now what I didnt know when I got my first Guitar! I was so thrilled—nothing bothered me-skinny neck, fat neck, little nut, string spacing, fret width, open or closed back tuners, pick guard materiel.....I just loved and played any guitar I could call my own! But hey, its all good!
Old 01-23-2021, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Being content is a lovely state of mind.
Enjoy your playing.

2022 Taylor 714ce, 2020 Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe, 2013 Martin D-16GT, 1980 Yamaha FG-335
Old 01-23-2021, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Maybe you have the best guitar for you right now. I don't believe that there is a perfect guitar. There's better and worse but not perfect.

Something to look at is to listen to YouTube videos of the guitar you own. The sound you know intimately. It might help to get your head in the right place when looking at other guitar videos.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-23-2021, 10:05 AM

I think if you had 10 guitars, all the same brand and model, they would all sound somewhat different from each other - especially if some of them were used guitars. They would sound different because of the variations in materials used in construction, the setups, the different strings, the age of the strings, the age of the guitar, humidity, the slight modifications made by previous owners etc. No two guitars sound exactly the same.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Do you even know what you want, or are you just looking for "better"? Because you are never going to find the "better." You can't win that one. In your mind you will always wonder if there is something better. I've tried not to go there myself, I just try to make something work.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 01-23-2021, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:

I did get something for the $ I spent, in educational terms.

I learned:

1) youtube sound-clips are not reliable for my needs
4) price/name on headstock is no guarantee of pleasing tone
5)tone is even more subjective than I thought when I started

Yes, yes and yes.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 01-24-2021, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
The opposite, a monster guitar in the form of an Emerald X30 Carbon Fiber guitar.
You like that more than your McCollum ????

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion