The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2021, 12:46 PM

Default OK, I Give Up

I've spent the past three months searching for a "better" guitar than my Martin custom D15 rswd/adi and after spending about $800 to ship guitars back and forth and playing various guitars locally, I've failed to find an instrument that offers the playability and the sound I'm after for my 5K budget.

I did get something for the $ I spent, in educational terms.

I learned:

1) youtube sound-clips are not reliable for my needs
2) there are far more neck profiles I don't like than I like
3) if guitar has a 1 11/16 nut, it's most likely got a neck profile I don't like
(or vice versa)
4) price/name on headstock is no guarantee of pleasing tone
5)tone is even more subjective than I thought when I started

I appreciate all the responses and suggestions from members. At this point,
I'm going to get back to playing.
Old 01-20-2021, 01:00 PM

You just told the story of my life for about the last 8 years. I guess I'm a slow learner. But I too figured out that the sound of a lot of guitars, does not equal the price that I paid for them. The guitars in my signature equal or even sound better to me than some that cost 3 times the price. IMO.
Old 01-20-2021, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

IIRC, you were after a 1 11/16 nut AND a shallow neck profile. This is a combo that is difficult to come by, much like a 1 7/8 nut with 2 3/8 spacing on a baseball bat neck. Neither are the sweet spot for builders and neither are in high demand.

Glad you have a guitar that's right for YOU. And all your recent searching has made you smarter on what's available. No regrets... happy trails.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 01-20-2021, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

I'm sure there are a couple more items that you haven't learned yet. Along with the tone learning process is the evolution in our personal tonal desires.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-20-2021, 02:48 PM

I have learned a ton over the last several years and a couple dozen fine guitars. Wouldn't change it a bit. I now know exactly what I'm looking for in body size, playability, look, and tone.

Will I ever find that one guitar that satisfies all my requirements? Don't know.
But, I have another coming soon that I have high hopes for! I also have one with me right now that hits pretty darn close!

I love guitars!

scott
Old 01-20-2021, 02:59 PM

Here's the positive - you know more now then you did three months ago. That will help you in your endeavor in finding a guitar(s).

You are correct - tone is very subjective. Our ears are all different and they change over time as we age.

$5k is a great budget. What is still on your list to try as a potential buy? Any great stores within an 8 hour return drive? Makes a great day trip with a potential lifer guitar.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:41 PM

Nothing wrong with this, good that you realised rather than having bought something that you kept that you don't enjoy.

You'll find the next one at some point but for now just enjoy what you have!

You've got a very good budget and a good amount of knowledge of what you like so that bodes well for the future
Old 01-20-2021, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baw3 View Post
You just told the story of my life for about the last 8 years. I guess I'm a slow learner. But I too figured out that the sound of a lot of guitars, does not equal the price that I paid for them. The guitars in my signature equal or even sound better to me than some that cost 3 times the price. IMO.
Nice to hear.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
IIRC, you were after a 1 11/16 nut AND a shallow neck profile. This is a combo that is difficult to come by, much like a 1 7/8 nut with 2 3/8 spacing on a baseball bat neck. Neither are the sweet spot for builders and neither are in high demand.

Glad you have a guitar that's right for YOU. And all your recent searching has made you smarter on what's available. No regrets... happy trails.
Yes-- I've been disabused of a fantasy of finding a better guitar. Better, in the long run, no doubt. Rather frustrating at present.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I'm sure there are a couple more items that you haven't learned yet. Along with the tone learning process is the evolution in our personal tonal desires.
Just "a couple", huh ?

We'll see about that ! ;o)
Old 01-21-2021, 12:02 AM

I guess the Guild didn't work out or are you still waiting for it? I'm one of the folks who followed your post of looking for 1.69" guitars with interest.

I finally broke down and went out and played dozens of guitars with 1.75" just to see if something spoke to me "feel" wise. Of course, this was just a sample of the vast market and only my "subjective" experience. I liked them all for tone and aesthetics but most had at least one area of the fingerboard where I had an issue.

Of all of the ones I played (and there were a lot), I felt the USA Breedloves and the Larivees were the ones I would do best if trying to switch to 1.75". However, I did play an Alvarez with 1.72" and a wider bridge string spacing that was intriguing. I maybe played it better than my 1.69" and somehow was able to gain a little reach in the higher frets. Did you get your hands on any of those?

It's nice we have ones to come home to that we like. I kind of feel the same about the search. Too much shopping and not enough playing.

Best,

Mac
Old 01-21-2021, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macpage View Post
I guess the Guild didn't work out or are you still waiting for it? I'm one of the folks who followed your post of looking for 1.69" guitars with interest.

I finally broke down and went out and played dozens of guitars with 1.75" just to see if something spoke to me "feel" wise. Of course, this was just a sample of the vast market and only my "subjective" experience. I liked them all for tone and aesthetics but most had at least one area of the fingerboard where I had an issue.

Of all of the ones I played (and there were a lot), I felt the USA Breedloves and the Larivees were the ones I would do best if trying to switch to 1.75". However, I did play an Alvarez with 1.72" and a wider bridge string spacing that was intriguing. I maybe played it better than my 1.69" and somehow was able to gain a little reach in the higher frets. Did you get your hands on any of those?

It's nice we have ones to come home to that we like. I kind of feel the same about the search. Too much shopping and not enough playing.

Best,

Mac

The Guild neck felt weird to me-- OK up to the 5th fret or so, but above that, it felt increasingly awkward as it changed from a sort of C to a sort of U.
I don't have access to Larrivees around here. I liked the Bourgeois neck. The fact that the nut is slightly wider (between 1 11/16 and 1 3/4) didn't bother
me. But the tone does nothing for me.

I wish you luck, my friend!
Old 01-21-2021, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post

Well, the Bourgeois necks are fairly slim and it's not hard to find them with
1 23/32 nuts, so Dana must be doing OK with them. I could happily play one of those necks. But, as I've said, they leave me cold, sound-wise.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenP_357 View Post
Nothing wrong with this, good that you realised rather than having bought something that you kept that you don't enjoy.

You'll find the next one at some point but for now just enjoy what you have!

You've got a very good budget and a good amount of knowledge of what you like so that bodes well for the future
What you say makes sense. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2021, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Here's the positive - you know more now then you did three months ago. That will help you in your endeavor in finding a guitar(s).

You are correct - tone is very subjective. Our ears are all different and they change over time as we age.

$5k is a great budget. What is still on your list to try as a potential buy? Any great stores within an 8 hour return drive? Makes a great day trip with a potential lifer guitar.
Gryphon is about 3.5 hours away but their stock has been pretty low, for some time. I'm 64 and don't really want to spend more time than that on the freeway, at this point. I could get what I want in terms of neck/nut if I went custom, but the prospect of paying up front and commiting to a guitar I've never played doesn't sit right with me. At this point, I can't think of anything else to try, which is why I've decided to simply stop.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion