The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 02-13-2018, 08:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

LowRider, you made my YEAR with this photo. Almost brought tears to my eyes.

Who are the gents to the far left? The photo is a little grainy and I'm having trouble identifying them.

Thanks sooooooo much,

Scott
Old 02-13-2018, 08:13 PM

Two of my all time favorites. Was lucky enough to see both a few times, singly and together at The Earl. Also another of my favorites, Bonnie Koloc..

Also got to see Leon Redbone at the old Vic Theater in Chicago back in the 80's.

Last edited by Caddy; 03-30-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
LowRider, you made my YEAR with this photo. Almost brought tears to my eyes.

Who are the gents to the far left? The photo is a little grainy and I'm having trouble identifying them.

Thanks sooooooo much,

Scott
You, my friend, are welcome. I don't know who they are. Who's the woman?
Old 02-14-2018, 08:38 AM

Scott- According to:
http://billsmusicblog.blogspot.com/2...1964-1981.html

the photo cation read,

Steve Goodman played the Main Point numerous times, but I'm going to guess that the above photo was taken in January 1972, based on the artist list below. According to the anniversary publication, Steve Goodman (far right) after completing his set invited John Prine (center) up to the stage for the encore, and they sang a twenty minute set of Hank Williams tunes. After leaving the stage, they obliged the thundering ovation from the audience with another encore and brought out the opening act (far left) Trevor Veitch and Andy Kulberg. "When the extra mikes were set and everyone situated, Trevor leaned into the mike and announced, "Will you please welcome Bonnie Raitt!" (center). More Hank Williams tunes followed and the performance concluded with a rendition of "Will the Circle Be Unbroken".

Steve sure was a "one-off". I've never seen anybody on stage I liked more. Even now when you listen to his recordings you can hear the smile in his voice.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggie242 View Post
Scott- According to:
http://billsmusicblog.blogspot.com/2...1964-1981.html

the photo cation read,

Steve Goodman played the Main Point numerous times, but I'm going to guess that the above photo was taken in January 1972, based on the artist list below. According to the anniversary publication, Steve Goodman (far right) after completing his set invited John Prine (center) up to the stage for the encore, and they sang a twenty minute set of Hank Williams tunes. After leaving the stage, they obliged the thundering ovation from the audience with another encore and brought out the opening act (far left) Trevor Veitch and Andy Kulberg. "When the extra mikes were set and everyone situated, Trevor leaned into the mike and announced, "Will you please welcome Bonnie Raitt!" (center). More Hank Williams tunes followed and the performance concluded with a rendition of "Will the Circle Be Unbroken".

Steve sure was a "one-off". I've never seen anybody on stage I liked more. Even now when you listen to his recordings you can hear the smile in his voice.
Auggie, thanks for the clarification on the photo. I thought the guy on the far left might have been Bromberg, but hard to tell.

Everyone I've spokem to who ever saw Goodman live will tell you he's the best solo performer they've seen. And, as you say, I've never encountered anyone before or since who seemed to love performing more than SG.

Thanks again, Auggie.

scott
Old 03-11-2018, 05:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Just wanted to send this out to any new Steve Goodman fans who may not have seen this.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:15 PM

Thank-you for this thread!
Old 03-11-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfood View Post
Thank-you for this thread!
Yes, indeed. What an amazing man to to have given us so many great memories that have lasted more than 30 years.
"Give me some words I can dance to and a melody that rhymes."
Old 03-11-2018, 11:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
I honestly know that the only song I'm aware of is YNECMBMN. I'm sure as I go down the thread I'll do some "Oh yeah...", just like I did when I first started listening to John Prine.
BTW, Monkey, a lot of people to this day think Arlo Guthrie wrote "City of New Orleans," but that's Goodman's song, maybe the greatest train song ever written by an American.

sm
Old 03-12-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
BTW, Monkey, a lot of people to this day think Arlo Guthrie wrote "City of New Orleans," but that's Goodman's song, maybe the greatest train song ever written by an American.

sm
Steve was wont to say in concert,
"I'm going to play a medley of Arlo Guthrie's greatest hits" before doing "City". Or he'd say, "God bless Arlo Guthrie; he pays my rent".
I recently finished reading Clay Eals' excellent bio of Goodman ("Facing The Music"). Quite an expansive work (800 or so pages), but a must-have for any fan.
I've been on a mission the past few months to complete my cd collection of his albums. Yeah, his live stuff is priceless. Such a humble, unassuming chap who was such a powerhouse performer. He'd look so small when he hit the stage but quickly became almost larger than life. Playing practically the whole time on the balls of his feet and never standing still for long...God bless you for keeping this thread going, CLP...
Old 03-15-2018, 03:11 AM

For any of you on Facebook, there's a page called "Fans and Friends of Steve Goodman". Someone recently posted a video of the "Soundstage" episode w/Arlo Guthrie, Goodman and Hoyt Axton. Recorded in '74. I believe it was also put on YouTube. Definitely worth a watch. I think that was where I first heard Steve and Hoyt...
Old 03-15-2018, 09:23 AM

Cabarone-The Goodman portion of that Soundstage video is awesome.

Thank You-
plus your post let me discover the Fans and Friends of Steve Goodman facebook page!
Double thanks!
Old 03-24-2018, 05:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabarone View Post
For any of you on Facebook, there's a page called "Fans and Friends of Steve Goodman". Someone recently posted a video of the "Soundstage" episode w/Arlo Guthrie, Goodman and Hoyt Axton. Recorded in '74. I believe it was also put on YouTube. Definitely worth a watch. I think that was where I first heard Steve and Hoyt...
Cabarone, thank you for alerting me to this video. Someone had posted his version of "It's a Sin to Tell a Lie" on YT a few years back, then removed it right when I was learning it.

Bless you, my friend.

Folks, if you wanna see some incredibly hot pickin', check out steve at the 20;30 time split.

https://www.facebook.com/john.finebe...&theater&ifg=1
Old 03-30-2018, 04:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Cab, do you happen to know who hosts or manages that Goodman FB page? Would love to contact them directly.

Thanks again for this.

sm
Old 10-03-2018, 10:07 AM

I ran across a Steve Goodman song I wasn't familiar with. Kind of a humorous novelty song, but well crafted just the same. Brings back a few memories to those of us of a certain age as well.

"Dreamin' just comes natural, like the first breath from a baby"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN