The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-12-2019, 06:47 PM

Default Heads dropping a bit...maybe?

Hi Guys,
Been learning Carcassi over the past Two years, Keys A C G and E,
Methodically gone through each key with my excellent teacher, Scale, Chords, Scales study, Prelude them main piece, i'm now after Two years of blood sweat and tears near the very end of my studies in these keys, I have also learnt to read music along the way, well, I get by if you know what I mean.
Although its obviously been tough, I've enjoyed it massively and am very proud of my achievement, I think I am playing reasonably well.
However, over the past few weeks I've been feeling slightly disillusioned, possibly bored? i'm not sure.
Some of the Classical pieces are very beautiful, like Air on a G string, but I find many very dull, whereas my teacher says how beautiful they are, I don't agree but as He's such a great teacher and taught me so much I haven't got the heart to say anything. Also, as my reading skills aren't great each piece takes a massive effort and I guess i'm struggling as my heart isn't in every piece, or so it seems. Although i'm learning solo Guitar I sometimes feel i'm playing background music, many of my family members feel its 'ok', but all this effort doesn't seem to be making much impression, with anyone.
I love the mellow tones of a Nylon string Guitar over steel, but just lately ive started watching a lot of fingerstyle Blues and although I can say its beautiful, [obviously i'm not comparing it to Classical] its looks and sounds like so much fun! Where am I going wrong? I love 'some' Classical and I have a great teacher, but dreaming of fingerstyle Blues, the way I see it is, as these two music styles are so far apart its either one or the other, cant be good at both, as I said, ive put so much into my studies but 'maybe' getting slightly bored and looking for something else? Feeling like i'm looking for the Holy Growl! Any advice much appreciated.

Last edited by sorefinger; 12-14-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

There are a lot of talented guitarists who excel at playing multiple genres of music, including many who have both finger style blues tunes and classical guitar pieces in their repertoire.

For example, just today I was playing through Rick Foster’s arrangement of Schumann’s “Ave Maria” from his book “More Hymns for Classical Guitar”. The same book includes a very bluesy arrangement of “Swing Low, Sweet Chariot”, and what I would call a country blues arrangement (with walking bass) arrangement of “Peace Like a River”.

I recommend that you learn to play what you would like to play, and respectfully decline to learn to play material that does not appeal to you.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:58 PM

Congratulations on your achievements of learning to play the guitar and read music.

Traditional music studies usually have a number of components to them. One component is "technique". Some things that one plays are intended to teach specific technique (skills and abilities) and that is the main reason they are played. Scales and arpeggios are examples. "Studies" often fall into the same category and, if they happen to be enjoyable music, that's a plus.

Another category is ear training, where one learns to recognize the relative distance of pitch between two or more notes as well as learning to recognize chords and chord progressions.

Another category is theory, where one learns about the basic fabric of music and what it comprises.

Last, there is the music itself, a selection of pieces that one plays because one likes listening/playing them. It is in this part of one's practice that one ought to choose music that thrills and delights either the player, the listener, or both.

It is important to understand why you are doing or playing a particular thing. Some stuff just isn't all that interesting listening-wise. Scales are an example: not many people get emotionally involved in listening to someone playing scales.

Learning spelling, grammar and vocabulary provide the foundation for being a writer: they are the tools upon which one relies to write. They provide the foundation for any style of writing and on any topic. Learning technique, theory and ear training provide a foundation for being a musician: they are the tools upon which formally trained musicians rely to play music of any style.

There is nothing at all that prevents you from using your classical training to play blues, jazz, rock, Latin... whatever style of music you like. My suggestion is to identify specific pieces of music that you like and would like to play. Some of those might be within the range of what your current teacher can help you with: others you'll need a different teacher. Regardless, the classical training will give you a good foundation to play whatever you want. Talk to your teacher and work with him or her to select pieces that you would like to play.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:21 PM

Play what inspires you, otherwise you’ll likely lose interest and drop it all down the road. I assume you’re doing this as a hobby, and hobbies are supposed to be fun even if they’re a little challenging at times.

Play what makes you happy and others will be happy to listen.

Rb
Old 12-12-2019, 11:25 PM

Andrei Krylov does a whole range of styles.

Old 12-13-2019, 01:19 AM

There's an entire world of music that can be played on a classical guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/user/SamuelKlemke?feature=watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zfOM8I-IDQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g69B5S7t_lA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXmknChk33o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9FOjvzXYGs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRptZjtfUIE

One of my favourite classical guitarists, though, here, playing steel string:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz5CqrRpTdU

The music that can be played on a classical guitar is almost endless.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:46 AM

Thanks for the advice Guys.
Thank you for the Links too, I don't believe the link for Michael Chapdelaine, he's my favourite Musician by far! The Man's incredible!
Old 12-13-2019, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Hi sorefinger,

Are you familar with Woody Mann? He is an amazing player and teacher who might be able to take you in the direction you want to go.

Here is one of his lessons that I highly recommend, and it's on sale right now. https://www.homespun.com/shop/produc...r-fretboard-1/

Despite the title, this lesson is not about scales, exercises or sight reading. He uses traditional and original tunes to illustrate how he arranges and improvises all over the neck.

Best of luck!
Old 12-13-2019, 02:10 PM

Follow your heart. If you want to play blues on a steel string guitar then get one and go for it!

I almost only play baroque and Renascence lute music on my classical guitar becasue that's what I like. Luis Milan, Gaspar Sanz, Narváez. I started to learn other stuff and got bored of it like you did.

I suppose if you are trying to be a professional musician who has a well rounded repertoire for various types of occasions then you might have to grin and bear it but otherwise if for your own enjoyment then do what you like.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorefinger View Post
Hi Guys,
Been learning Carcassi over the past Two years, Keys A C G and E,
Methodically gone through each key with my excellent teacher, Scale, Chords, Scales study, Prelude them main piece, i'm now after Two years of blood sweat and tears near the very end of my studies in these keys, I have also learnt to read music along the way, well, I get by if you know what I mean.
Although its obviously been tough, I've enjoyed it massively and am very proud of my achievement, I think I am playing reasonably well.
However, over the past few weeks I've been feeling slightly disillusioned, possibly bored? i'm not sure.
Some of the Classical pieces are very beautiful, like Air on a G string, but I find many very dull, whereas my teacher says how beautiful they are, I don't agree but as He's such a great teacher and taught me so much I haven't got the heart to say anything. Also, as my reading skills aren't great each piece takes a massive effort and I guess i'm struggling as my heart isn't in every piece, or so it seems. Although i'm learning solo Guitar I sometimes feel i'm playing background music, many of my family members feel its 'ok', but all this effort doesn't seem to be making much impression, with anyone.
I love the mellow tones of a Nylon string Guitar over steel, but just lately ive started watching a lot of fingerstyle Blues and although I can say its beautiful, [obviously i'm not comparing it to Classical] its looks and sounds like so much fun! Where am I going wrong? I love 'some' Classical and I have a great teacher, but dreaming of fingerstyle Blues, the way I see it is, as these two music styles are so far apart its either one or the other, cant be good at both, as I said, ive put so much into my studies but 'maybe' getting slightly bored and looking for something else? Feeling like i'm looking for the Holy Growl! Any advice much appreciated.
Try something new. Stephen Wake. Orkney tuning.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

It sounds as though you have done a great job of it. Take a bow. Music is about passion.

Now as Richard Hoover has said

You can change the world with a cheap guitar.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 12-14-2019, 01:44 AM

Thank you Mr Jelly, that's a nice thing to say.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:13 PM

You might try doing a search on Per Olov Kindgren and Søren Madsen. Both are master classical guitarists who have written a ton of arrangements of both classical music and pop, rock, blues music. In fact, Madsen has arrangements of even Metallica. Both have sheet music available in standard notation and TAB.

You are only limited by your own perceptions. But it is worth the effort to continue with your classical studies. Doesn’t mean you have to only play Carcassi, Giuliani, Sor, and Carulli.
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical