The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-06-2013, 03:25 PM

Default My 316ce leaves me wanting...

I really like the sound. I've had it since maybe the summer of 2012. I bought it from a member of this board. It's just not as easy to fret as I had hoped. To be fair, when I'm not playing it, I'm playing my GS Mini, or my Cordoba C5, which are both very easy to play. The action seems fairly low, so am I just being unfair to it after playing the other two guitars.

Should I look into a smaller bodied guitar, like a Grand Concert or something, and sell the 316? I like the sound and the look, but would like something a little more comfortable.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:44 PM

You might try a concert size Taylor. The 12 frets are generally easier to fret.

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME
Old 02-06-2013, 03:49 PM

This will save you time and money.... Taylor is known for the consistently excellent playability of their guitars. The 316 is has a very nice neck and playability. I would suggest taking both your GS Mini and your 316 to a good luthier, demonstrate the sort of thing you can do well on the GS Mini, and ask him to duplicate it on 316.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 02-06-2013, 03:51 PM

The GS guitars are strung stock with mediums - you could try lights, as those would be as easy to fret as any standard-scale guitar can be. If that's too much of a stretch or too high tension still, a short scale guitar might be in order (which, if you like Taylors, would be the GC or 12-fret).

Keep in mind the different factors affecting comfort for the left hand - string gauge, scale length, nut width, neck profile, and action.

Gauge and action can be tweaked. All the others vary guitar to guitar. Try light gauge and low action on your current guitar before deciding to switch.

Of course, unless the body size or tone of the 316 is not to your liking. In that case, find something you do like!
Guest 33123

Get ye to a decent repair shoppe and have it set up!

Seriously if you like how the guitar sounds, improving the action with a proper setup would be your best choice. Sounds like the action could come down at the nut and maybe the saddle too and the relief adjusted. You could do all of this yourself if you feel capable and have the right tools (see stewmac.com).

Too many people have dumped perfectly good guitars because they were hard to fret. A real waste of good money if you ask me.

I don't know but it sounds like GAS to me.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 02-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

The Mini and the classical may always be more comfortable to you ....no matter what you have done to the 316. The mini with it's *much* shorter scale and the nylon with it's lighter tension are hard to beat.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsimpson79 View Post
I really like the sound. I've had it since maybe the summer of 2012. I bought it from a member of this board. It's just not as easy to fret as I had hoped. To be fair, when I'm not playing it, I'm playing my GS Mini, or my Cordoba C5, which are both very easy to play. The action seems fairly low, so am I just being unfair to it after playing the other two guitars.

Should I look into a smaller bodied guitar, like a Grand Concert or something, and sell the 316? I like the sound and the look, but would like something a little more comfortable.
Hi josh...

A professional setup would be cheaper than selling a guitar. What weight of strings are stringing it with?

I've played a ton of Taylors, and have only seen one which was not able to be setup to play like butter - but the owner is 6 foot 5 inches tall, and strings it with medium tops and heavy bottom strings.

The action is jacked up deliberately because his grip is immensely powerful.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-06-2013, 04:27 PM

Putting light strings on it will probably make it easier to play. However, there's a good chance that doing so will also change the sound. If you like how it sounds now, you may not like it with lighter strings.

Only one way to find out, and it would be pretty cheap and easy.

Jason
Old 02-06-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi josh...

A professional setup would be cheaper than selling a guitar. What weight of strings are stringing it with?

I've played a ton of Taylors, and have only seen one which was not able to be setup to play like butter - but the owner is 6 foot 5 inches tall, and strings it with medium tops and heavy bottom strings.

The action is jacked up deliberately because his grip is immensely powerful.

I just put lights on it yesterday and was hoping for a bit more ease in playing that I got. It didn't sound bad, though. I'll try and take it to a guy tomorrow.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:39 PM

I would agree with the guys. 316 is a great guitar I would first try puting light gauge if you have not already and second take it to a good shop and have them look at it maybe you just need a setup done on her.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:15 PM

Josh - great question. Both of those guitars come stock with medium strings. As mentioned, a setup may help, assuming that is the issue. Do you think it could be related to the nut width? The GS Mini is 1 11/16", slightly smaller than the 1 3/4" of the 316.

Try putting a capo on the 1st fret of the 316 and see if that solves your problem. If so, you can have your nut worked on.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:48 PM

I doubt its the guitar, he allready said the action is low, and its a new Taylor... He's also comparing it to a GS Mini and a Nylon.

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME
Old 02-06-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazine View Post
You might try a concert size Taylor. The 12 frets are generally easier to fret.
Also try a x14 with a slim neck plus you will have light strings.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:34 PM

Took it to a local tech. He adjusted the truss rod quite a bit, so between that and the light strings, I'm going to try that for a bit. I just haven't messed with the truss rod all that much, so I was feeling a bit silly when he made that much of a difference. Oh well, it's already more to my liking, and it didn't cost me anything.

Maybe I'll have to buy a GC model down the road, anyway
Although with our first baby coming in September, the wife might kill me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion