The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

I'm going to play devil's advocate for the moment. Not for singers, but trumpet players. That's where I started, where I scholashipped. Expression does not trump technique. I'm so tired of people saying expression is more important. Equally, perhaps. But I'd rather listen to instrumentalists and singers that manage BOTH than those that master one or the other. That is why I consider Dylan lackluster, although he's not the worst offender. He at least had real passion (at one time) about what he was doing and writing. But in almost every case, there are others I prefer performing his songs, from PP&M to Jimi.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 10-03-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Thurman View Post
All I can say is... you're too hard on yourself. CDs are hard to sell.
Harder and harder, with older folks still resisting the technology (and not wanting to acquire more stuff) and younger ones preferring to download. 5 CDs in 20 gigs, if you're playing coffeehouses without a lot of publicity or airplay, is about par for the course.

Did you get 100 pressed or burned? I haven't found any place that'll press fewer than 500, and most won't press less than 1000.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
I really don't like my voice but I am over worrying about it. I love songwriting and just wish other people would sing my songs instead of me, which is what we did when I was back home with my long time band.

I think everybody is harder on themselves than the audience ever is. UNtil they start throwing bricks I'll keep singing/playing.......;
I think you have just given me the courage to do an open mic. I don't have to worry about my singing skills, just my ability to duck!
Old 10-03-2007, 08:26 PM

Linda,

That was a little tongue in cheek, I got my union card in 1970, but I still prefer doing harmonies in a band than singing lead. But when you move 1600 miles away from your band, time to inprovise.........

I start my gigs by saying "Folks this is a very expensive Martin, if you don't like what I'm doing..............aim at my head!"

It gets a laugh, and the ice is broken.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 10-04-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post

Did you get 100 pressed or burned? I haven't found any place that'll press fewer than 500, and most won't press less than 1000.
Oh, I gottem pressed, and I think they look pretty good too. If you want to see a copy, go to CDBaby(dot)com and do a search for Martin Moore. The title of the CD is More Than My Maker...

Dove Enterprises (dovetapes(dot)com) will do a run of 100 for a fairly good price. I also got 50 free concert posters in the deal too. Very great company.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell