The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-07-2019, 10:59 AM

After my girlfriend, now my wife, was hit by a new driver who ran a red light demolishing her Scion Breadbox, we looked far and wide for an Outback on the used market. We got a five year old model with 45k miles on it in 2012. Now it’s pushing 90k.
She loves it.
I hate it.
I find that after two hours of driving, my back and waist are on fire.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:05 PM

I'm still driving a 1995 Legacy wagon, with 375k miles on the clock, that I bought in 2008 for $1700.

The ONLY repairs I've ever had to perform other than typical wear items has been a wheel bearing an fixing a rusted out fuel filler neck. Otherwise it's just been brakes, tires, clutch, hoses, belts, etc. Everything still works.

My only complaints are that Subaru placed the catalytic converter directly below the passenger side front inboard CV joint, so that boot is always getting cooked by the converter, and only lasts 50-75k miles. Subie installs a plastic "guard" over the fuel filler neck inside the wheel well - the guard collects dirt, leaves and debris and it rusts out. Last, the articulating joint in the shift linkage only lasts ~100k miles after which point the shifter gets really really sloppy.

My car lived most it's life in Michigan and is thus very rusty. If not for that, I believe the car would last forever with very few repairs. I'm actually in the lookout for a nicer model of the same basic vintage.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic