The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-12-2019, 08:19 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Default FedEx can't make up their minds.

It's either on the truck for delivery or postponed until tomorrow. You know, with the high volume at this time I can understand and even commiserate, but it doesn't make it very easy on those waiting for a guitar, does it?

At least this time I selected a site for the guitar to be delivered to and held at because it requires a signature and I wasn't sure I'd be able to meet the FedEx guy.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

Last edited by Bob Womack; 12-12-2019 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Too many line returns
Old 12-12-2019, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

I find that's always best with Fedex. In my neck of the woods, deliveries seem to be sporadic, and you never what manner of vehicle will even deliver them...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 12-12-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

I am lucky. The FedEx depot is about 8 miles from my office. So, I just have them hold it there and go pick it up myself.

Steve
Old 12-12-2019, 01:14 PM

I still find it better than the USPS who had listed on their site that my package was "in transit" a few days after I'd already received it!
Old 12-12-2019, 04:21 PM

Fed-ex was to deliver new guitar Saturday, now they change it to Monday. Am I mortified.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

FedEx, UPS... I always have them hold it for pickup. Chance of a mishap increases dramatically once it goes out for local delivery. Especially this time of year with seasonal help.

One small item coming UPS has changed delivery day and time a half dozen times (not an exaggeration) in the last three days. I don’t even think they realize it was already delivered yesterday.
Guilds: 69 F312 Braz, 89 Nightbird II, 91 Nightbird CU, 94 GV70, 96 A50 flattop, 06 CO1 Cedar, 11 F30CE, 13 CS F30R Reno Star, 14 GSR F30CE Coco, Orpheum OM RW, Orpheum SS Hog. SOLD: Guilds: 78 F40,79 F112,’87 GF60R,94 DV72,07 CS F47 Braz,11 DD6MCE,12 F30,12 F30R,18 F2512. Other: 70 Epi 5102,74 Ibanez LesPaul,90 Gibson ES347,15 Alvarez MFA70,15 Martin OM28VTS,15 Epi ES339Pro,16 Alvarez AF60
Old 12-12-2019, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Every FedEx delivery that I have had this year (probably half a dozen) has been similar to the experience of the OP. I always get emails saying ‘scheduled for delivery today” for 3 days before the delivery actually happens. In fact, today is the second day in a row that FedEx emailed me that delivery was scheduled today for the humi-pads that I ordered from Córdoba. No delivery yet.

I stopped by the nearby FedEx store a couple of months ago when this “out for delivery today” charade was happening with a guitar that I ordered, and the FedEx store rep tokd me that FedEx always starts sending “delivery scheduled today” emails 3 days in advance of the actual delivery date.

YMMV
Old 12-13-2019, 06:15 AM
Guitar Gourmet

It spent the day yesterday reported as "on the vehicle for delivery by closing time." Last night at 8:30 I got the notice it had been postponed until today. We shall see.

Bob

Old 12-13-2019, 07:39 AM

Default 300%

Having spent nearly 30 years in the parcel delivery game, I know all too well what yur talking about Bob.
Which is why I HIGHLY RECOMMEND to stop, think, plan ahead, and never, NEVER order or ship anything in December.

I can hear y’all telling me how unrealistic my statement is, but I’m dead serious.

What happens is this:
THREE HUNDRED PERCENT.
That’s about the increase in volume in “peak” season.
A truck .. they call them a package car.. that usually goes out with a hundred delivery stops, goes out with 300 in December.
A truck that usually goes out with 500 pieces, somehow gets jammed with 1500.

Ive been away for a dozen years, and from what I hear it’s even “worse” now,
so my numbers may be conservative.

Now, add to that all the “peak hires”, (folks that don’t know .. and for the most part don’t care .. what’s going on) and it’s a recipe for things to go wrong.

Seriously folks, be smart, plan ahead.
Order early.. like October.. or do without til January.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:00 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I seriously didn't want to do this transaction at this time but it turns out that the guitar in question appears to be the last of its kind anywhere on the Internet. Grab it when you can or someone else will.

Bob

Old 12-13-2019, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

My last online guitar purchase was helpd by the dealer until Monday -to avoid it staying in a warehouse over a weekend.

I received a notice saying that the shippers collected it from the dealer at 12 noon, and that forecasted delivery was 12.00 to 3.00 pm. on the following day - Tuesday. It arrived as the 12 o'clock news started.

I know that there is often more mileage involved in online purchase deliveries in the USA but I'm so glad that we don't have the same problems here.

I have made three purchases from the USA - two from private ebay sellers (both of which initially said sale to CONUS only) and one from a dealer.

The Dealer was problematic - and did not follow the shipping instructions obtained by me from HMC&E, and so cost me somewhat more, but with all three, once they arrived in the UK, I got a polite phone call from the Shippers telling me of the customs charges and taxes which I pay over the phone, and then the items are delivered the next day. No issues.

Ebay (and sometimes Amazon items - not "prime" )ordered from uk suppliers usually take 48 hours or less.

Stuff ordered on Ebay from China take a couple of weeks but are small low value items.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:36 AM

I am looking forward to reading what exactly is "out for delivery" once it has been safely delivered and properly temperature-acclimated!
Old 12-13-2019, 02:13 PM
Guitar Gourmet

At 1pm they said it had been rescheduled for Monday.

Twenty minutes later they announced it is ready for pickup.

Perhaps we'll see it soon.

Bob

Old 12-13-2019, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

FedEx delivered my Córdoba humi-pads last night after 8:30 pm.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:13 PM
Guitar Gourmet

And delivered!

Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic