The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-25-2019, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
You mentioned omnis work well for you, so I was wondering why you are considering going to the MK21 wide cardioid instead of using the MK2 omni? What distance do you typically have from the mic(s) to the guitar?

I haven't used the Schoeps, but from the specs the MK21 has a very good off axis response (consistent over their frequency range). This may be helpful for close micing.

For recording my guitar (solo fingerstyle arrangements) I use a pair of Gefell M296S omnis in a spaced pair arrangement. I usually place mics back around 16-24" from the guitar. I also use gobos behind and to the sides of the mics.
I briefly owned a pair of 295's. Absolutely Brilliant top end.
From my understanding, the MK21's have most of the Omni characteristics...with the exception of having a little more rear rejection. They have little proximity effect and even have a slight rise in the highs like so many Omni's have. I would be micing much closer than you. I like to emulate what I hear at close distances. I actually place my head lower and tilt my guitar slightly upward when playing.
The 4's and the 41's actually have much better off axis response than the 21's. However...Close miced in with the wider pattern, the difference should not be noticeable for off axis.
For my style of playing, micing further back does not seem to give me the results I am looking for. It has to do with many things such as the larger dynamics in which I play..and of course..my poorer room acoustics. Even in good recording rooms I am still not fond of micing further back for my style. However with others It is definitely one of the very best methods. I will also be building some Gobo's of sorts.
In theory and in many cases, micing further back offers a more even dynamics, smoothing out those ranges much like a compressor would. Of course as with anything...either way you go, what ever you get for one way...you loose in another way.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post

Yes I had a single CMC6-Mk 4 and really liked it BUT I agree it was so focused and my playing (not the cleanest) as well as sometimes varied dynamically etc., it was so focused I usually recorded with it backed off 12 to 24 inches away.... I ended up selling ( wish it could have afforded to keep it) and getting a pair of AEA N 22 Ribbon's , which overall are better suited for me and my style I think

Here is the MK4 (you can see it in the merged close up coming off the mic stand) the camera perspective is funny, it is actually about 16-20 inches away, aimed at the lower part of the bridge.

Pretty hard to compare accurately with different performances , different rooms , different mic's -guitar and vocal - The constants are the recording system it self, the mic pre -A Designs MP2A,- the analog mix Compressor IGS Tubcore 3U, - and the Bricasti M7 reverb.
Fun Videos Kev!...
Your guitar sounded very good with both the Schoeps and the N22's. I think we are our own worst critics. But certainly there was a more natural open sound to the stereo imaging of the N22's.
Soundpure has some videos where they record Acoustic using the MP2a..and it just gives it that extra bit of meat to the recording. I hope to add a good preamp to my mix later next year. (as soon as a bunch of money falls from the sky! Or I finally am able to let go of my prised electrics that I no longer play. )
Old 11-25-2019, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Knives & Guitars - PM'ed Ya

Aloha Knives & Guitars,

I PM'ed ya. AGAIN.

Have a question for you. Pls. respond.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 12-22-2019 at 08:22 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD