The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-21-2019, 07:14 AM

Default Zoom f6 review

https://youtu.be/byMZkEvYRKw

What do you think?
I noticed that it doesn’t have guitar cable style
Line inputs - does this mean I have to get a converter of some kind to get it to work with guitar pickup outputs?
Old 11-21-2019, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Yes, you'd need a DI box (shown in the video).

What's your intended use, that has you considering an F6?

Field recorders are designed primarily for recording either direct/wired microphone input, or a balanced, line-level input from a wireless [mic] receiver, e.g., for recording during a video shoot or maybe a panel discussion/podcast.

I've probably recorded acoustic-electric guitars through a DI several dozen times, maybe a hundred, give or take, on my Zoom H6/F8/F8n. Or, if there's already a DI in place, you would use a splitter.

As he says, this device (and I'd say that class of digital recorders) is probably not the primary device for music recording ["at home" I'd add], but for some folks, and some uses, it works fine.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:03 PM

Default Zoom f6 review

I’m thinking of using it to record two mics and one guitar pickup input at the same time for fingerstyle - Guess it’s kind of overkill.
Something like the H6 accepts active guitar pickups direct ?
Old 11-21-2019, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
I’m thinking of using it to record two mics and one guitar pickup input at the same time for fingerstyle - Guess it’s kind of overkill.
Something like the H6 accepts active guitar pickups direct ?
I always used a DI with my H6. The manual is a little unclear, but the gist is that it expects line level in the 1/4" (says TRS, which means balanced, but clearly most instruments only have an unbalanced, TS, plug). Use a DI and connect with a mic cable is what I do/did.

Manual (excerpt from p. 10, italics mine):
https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/defaul...Manual_0_1.pdf

Connecting mics/other devices to Inputs 1–4
In addition to the input (L/R) from an XY or MS mic, the also has Inputs 1–4.
These can be used together to record up to six tracks at one time.
Mics, instruments and other equipment can be connected to Inputs 1–4 and recorded independently to tracks 1–4.
Connecting instruments/other devices
Connect keyboards and mixers directly to the Input 1–4 TRS jacks.
Direct input of passive guitars and basses is not supported.
Connect these instruments through a mixer or effects device, for example.
Set the PAD switch to −20 when connecting a mixer or other device with a standard output level of +4dB
P.S. You could get an interface with 4 mic pre's, a couple of which would be switchable for INST input, and record direct to the computer. The Zoom's strength is being able to record anywhere. If you're going to be recording at home, it's not the most direct route, IMO.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
I always used a DI with my H6. The manual is a little unclear, but the gist is that it expects line level in the 1/4" (says TRS, which means balanced, but clearly most instruments only have an unbalanced, TS, plug). Use a DI and connect with a mic cable is what I do/did.

Manual (excerpt from p. 10, italics mine):
https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/defaul...Manual_0_1.pdf

Connecting mics/other devices to Inputs 1–4
In addition to the input (L/R) from an XY or MS mic, the also has Inputs 1–4.
These can be used together to record up to six tracks at one time.
Mics, instruments and other equipment can be connected to Inputs 1–4 and recorded independently to tracks 1–4.
Connecting instruments/other devices
Connect keyboards and mixers directly to the Input 1–4 TRS jacks.
Direct input of passive guitars and basses is not supported.
Connect these instruments through a mixer or effects device, for example.
Set the PAD switch to −20 when connecting a mixer or other device with a standard output level of +4dB
P.S. You could get an interface with 4 mic pre's, a couple of which would be switchable for INST input, and record direct to the computer. The Zoom's strength is being able to record anywhere. If you're going to be recording at home, it's not the most direct route, IMO.

I reckon if direct input from keyboards is fine , active guitar pickups should be fine too, no?
Old 11-22-2019, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
I reckon if direct input from keyboards is fine , active guitar pickups should be fine too, no?
I don't have the H6 anymore, but I tested using my Martin GPCPA3 with built-in Fishman Aura, on my F8 which only takes/assumes line input on the 1/4" and mic on the XLR, and connected my guitar through a DI (Radial ProDI passive) into an XLR and also via a patch cable out the "Thru" jack on the same DI into a 1/4" input. (PAD was not engaged on the DI.) I'd say they're indistinguishable. I had the trim/gain on the channels set within 1dB of each other as well, and about 6dB higher than the mic (C214 about a foot away), but got good levels without problem. Can't say that will translate to an H6, but my guess it it will.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:04 PM

Ok thanks! I think I’ll wait out for the next iteration of the H6 , hopefully it’ll inherit the preamps from the F series!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD