The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-25-2019, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Default Timber Tones Microphones ?

Anybody every used one of these?

I saw one in a demo over at UMGF and had jumped to the conclusion (I blame the old peepers) that it was another ETL - but no.

https://www.timbretones.com/

Some demos, as well as a link to the basis ("Alice"). Interesting stuff.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
I saw one in a demo over at UMGF and had jumped to the conclusion (I blame the old peepers) that it was another ETL - but no.
What's an ETL?

The mics are wonderful to look at and surprisingly inexpensive. The video demos, though, sound pinched and telephone-y to me. Enough so that I'd have to do a hands-on trial before I'd buy or recommend them.

Couch Standards
Old 06-25-2019, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
What's an ETL?

The mics are wonderful to look at and surprisingly inexpensive. The video demos, though, sound pinched and telephone-y to me. Enough so that I'd have to do a hands-on trial before I'd buy or recommend them.
Sorry, Ear Trumpet Labs.

I do agree the videos did not sell me a mic. I've got several already that sound that good, but those look nice .

I'd like to see them in use live. The Ear Trumpet Labs that I've seen have been pretty impressive, but I have to say the groups using them have been exceptional, so...
Old 06-25-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
The Ear Trumpet Labs that I've seen have been pretty impressive, but I have to say the groups using them have been exceptional, so...
As "compared to what" goes, The Milk Carton Kids used a single Ear Trumpet in that Life and Songs of Emmylou concert video and it sounded pretty great, but that was compared to the SM58's on everyone else. Doesn't really mean it'd sound great in a studio setting compared to the usual-suspects LDC's.

Couch Standards
Old 06-25-2019, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

I am pretty sure the main target of ETL is live use, where the visual aspects of the mic are on display. They look cool, and sound better than an SM58. Honestly, if I got an outdoor recording gig, I wouldn't mind having one just to be in the club
Old 06-26-2019, 12:43 PM

I saw the Guitar Center Sessions with Jason Mraz and Raining Jane. They used an ETL Louise. Man those vocals sounded good.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I am pretty sure the main target of ETL is live use, where the visual aspects of the mic are on display. They look cool, and sound better than an SM58. Honestly, if I got an outdoor recording gig, I wouldn't mind having one just to be in the club
This is correct. They are not the most accurate or silent microphones you'll find, so probably won't see them in studios. But live is their sweet spot.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 06-26-2019, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

This brings up something I've noticed over the past year. I'm seeing more and more performers using condenser mics for live performances than I've seen before. I'd even go so far to say that I've seen more people use condensers on stage in the past year than in all other years combined. Not sure what's driving that or if I'm imagining the trend.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 06-27-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Anybody every used one of these?

https://www.timbretones.com/

Some demos, as well as a link to the basis ("Alice"). Interesting stuff.
What you're actually getting is a $39 capsule dressed up all pretty.

https://microphone-parts.com/product...ectret-capsule

The "look" of a mic impresses some spectators, witness the popularity of all the plumbing fixture performances. Not that a condenser isn't capable of sounding good, just that some folks are willing to work more closely with their sound reinforcement to accommodate the look. There's a reason why we've seen the vast majority of live stuff done with 57s and 58s for so long.

Last edited by Rudy4; 06-27-2019 at 06:42 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD