The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-04-2018, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Default New Roland R-07?

Saw a promo on MF for this new recorder. Wondering what commands the high price? What does this do that a DR40 or DR5 won't do? I mean, they're already as portable as you can get, and I don't see what BT or WF really adds. At least not for the price hike. Am I missing something?

Dave F
Old 03-05-2018, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Saw a promo on MF for this new recorder. Wondering what commands the high price? What does this do that a DR40 or DR5 won't do? I mean, they're already as portable as you can get, and I don't see what BT or WF really adds. At least not for the price hike. Am I missing something?

Dave F
Hi Dave

Features. It's trying to be a one-device-does-it-all. In addition to portability, you can run it from your phone or Apple Watch.

It has a metronome, tuner etc included. Bluetooth connect ability, auto backup capability, and a lot of automated settings.

These types of recorders don't grab me, but for the person who isn't tech savvy but loves features - this is probably appealing.

They call it a field recorder, but to me that would imply the ability to plug in XLR and set volumes individually etc. It will take an ⅛" input from instruments, or mics, but it's not going to be the recorder a film-maker or YouTube musician needs when one says 'field recorder'.

I'd love to see the bluetooth connectability features added to a high end recorder like the Zoom H5 or H6 (and remote setup and operation). That would be a good thing…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD