The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-18-2016, 05:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

I think we can all agree that Tom B'sox is everybody's best friend here on the Forum. He always has something kind, funny, pithy, and interesting to say to everyone as he makes his way around the various threads. He's kind of a celebrity here, and most welcome wherever he goes. I'm fortunate to count Tom among my best friends.

So I think I also speak for the great majority of us here that a new build thread, featuring Mark Hatcher, building a new guitar for Tom, is cause for celebration. Mark is an absolute Master, and his guitars are uniformly breathtaking in all aspects. I am continually astounded by the beauty of Mark's creations, and also by his friendly and detailed commentary. Great man, phenomenal luthier.

So two really excellent human beings are inviting us all along on this journey! I'll be watching raptly, all the way. YOU will too, I expect. We all love a great story with a happy ending...
Old 03-18-2016, 09:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Pretty stuff guys! I suggest that when the guitar is finished, the great unveiling occur in Hawaii, perhaps in that very canyon. Mark can write off the trip, and Kathy gets to see Hawaii. I mean, the girls need to get something out of this too, right?

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 03-18-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Pretty stuff guys! I suggest that when the guitar is finished, the great unveiling occur in Hawaii, perhaps in that very canyon. Mark can write off the trip, and Kathy gets to see Hawaii. I mean, the girls need to get something out of this too, right?

Steve
Absolutely! I probably should "supervise"

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 03-19-2016, 04:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

Steve
That sounds good to me!

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 03-19-2016, 05:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for all of the compliments and comments everyone. I have really looked forward to starting this build with Tom. He has been a great contributor to this forum since joining. Tom has an obvious love for guitars and is always upbeat, imaginative, and funny. Those are great ingredients for building a guitar!

When Tom was out to the shop Tom said he was looking for a comfortable couch guitar, something he could play in the living room during the normal course of family activity. We compared the comfort of the Penelope verses the ​Piña. Tom found when sitting back in the couch the smaller body of the ​Piña was the better fit. I suggested we go with the lightest and most active back I make with cedar back braces. My thinking is if he is sitting back on the couch and the family is talking, maybe the TV is on, that being able to still feel of the guitar vibrating while playing softly would be important.

We also discussed what would be the best top wood and then made the selection of the individual top. It didn't take too long to get to Western Red Cedar as it responds so well to a light touch and has such beautiful tone. We compared individual tops and selected one with wonderful tap tones and a color that compliments to color of the Koa:

And we're off cutting wood apart and gluing it back together!

Thanks Again!
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 03-19-2016 at 05:26 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:22 AM

That is some sweet looking Koa, but the LPI on the WRC has to be WAY up there. NICE!

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 03-19-2016, 10:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

As one of the more recent members of the forum, I've been overwhelmed with this community and everyone's generosity in sharing techniques and ideas. Builders, players, and individuals drawn to the artistry and craftsmanship...you all have developed a wonderful brotherhood that is a pleasure to be a part of, as well as a offering a positive and valuable return on the investment of time spent here.

It didn't take long to realize that Tom is quite a positive presence on this forum; and I always enjoy seeing his "footprint" on the threads that I've followed. Some people in this world simply have a nature within them that helps the rest of us better appreciate the humanity in humans...and Tom is one of these people. I will be following this thread with a particular interest because of the way that I feel about Tom and what he gives to this group.

But wait (as if we needed any other reason to follow this thread)...it's a Mark Hatcher build!!!...so I've strapped myself into my seat in anticipation of a world-class ride. Top-notch all the way around.

Joel
Old 03-19-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcornHouse View Post
"Honey, let's go somewhere to look at trees."
"Uh, really? Ok."
"In Hawaii."
"For you, anything."
That's too funny, especially from someone whose moniker is Acornhouse!!!!
Old 03-19-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
Wow! Another TomB'sox thread! And a Mark Hatcher thread! And beautiful Koa and Hawaii pictures! I think this one might qualify for a title of "Heaven."

This will be a wonderful thread to follow-
As has yours been!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
And you can feel "good" about it. I just read in one of my National Geographic Magazines that they began reforesting Koa many years ago. There are now many more large trees than there were due to that effort. Not as sustainable as Oak, Walnut or Maple, but WAY better than it used to be.

Enjoy

Chris
Enjoy I will, glad to hear about the reforesting for sure! Love the look of Koa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Mark and Tom--been looking forward to this one, and with the woods and the people involved, it looks sure not to disappoint!

Thanks for taking us along on the ride...
The pleasure is all mine for sure! Glad to have you along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Another enticing Hatcher build thread! This looks like a winner for sure.

Best,
Jayne
How can we go wrong with a Hatcher build right!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaprime View Post
Congratulations, Tom! And Mark!
This one has the beginnings of legend written all over it. Looking forward to the journey and Mark's fabulous photojournalism of the build process. Thanks for sharing.
You are 100% correct. Not only does he build great guitars, but he has mastered the photojournalism as well taking some of the best pictures I have seen along the way. It makes it that much more special.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Very good to see this thread as well. For Tom, I can easily see the appeal, for the last Koa guitar that Mark had built really had my juices flowing too. This will undoubtedly turn out great. I'm looking forward to following along.
You nailed it right on the head. I was mesmerized by that Koa guitar...I think that was when I really first started to take notice of Mark's guitars as that one just blew me away, now here I am lucky enough to have one built from the same wood!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
I think we can all agree that Tom B'sox is everybody's best friend here on the Forum. He always has something kind, funny, pithy, and interesting to say to everyone as he makes his way around the various threads. He's kind of a celebrity here, and most welcome wherever he goes. I'm fortunate to count Tom among my best friends.

So I think I also speak for the great majority of us here that a new build thread, featuring Mark Hatcher, building a new guitar for Tom, is cause for celebration. Mark is an absolute Master, and his guitars are uniformly breathtaking in all aspects. I am continually astounded by the beauty of Mark's creations, and also by his friendly and detailed commentary. Great man, phenomenal luthier.

So two really excellent human beings are inviting us all along on this journey! I'll be watching raptly, all the way. YOU will too, I expect. We all love a great story with a happy ending...
Steve, you are way too kind and I can not live up to that. You buddy are one of the most sincere people on the face of this planet and also are a master luthier to boot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Steve
Now that is one heck of an idea...maybe just bring a life-sized photo of the finished guitar so we don't have to fly it out there and back, plus it would fold up and fit into the backpack a little easier!

I mentioned your idea to Kathy and I believe I got a look, a smile, and a "when do we go" out of her!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
Absolutely! I probably should "supervise"
As supervisor I think you would be responsible for procuring all the tickets for everyone, and let me just say thank you ahead of time for that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
As one of the more recent members of the forum, I've been overwhelmed with this community and everyone's generosity in sharing techniques and ideas. Builders, players, and individuals drawn to the artistry and craftsmanship...you all have developed a wonderful brotherhood that is a pleasure to be a part of, as well as a offering a positive and valuable return on the investment of time spent here.

It didn't take long to realize that Tom is quite a positive presence on this forum; and I always enjoy seeing his "footprint" on the threads that I've followed. Some people in this world simply have a nature within them that helps the rest of us better appreciate the humanity in humans...and Tom is one of these people. I will be following this thread with a particular interest because of the way that I feel about Tom and what he gives to this group.

But wait (as if we needed any other reason to follow this thread)...it's a Mark Hatcher build!!!...so I've strapped myself into my seat in anticipation of a world-class ride. Top-notch all the way around.

Joel
Thanks again, I am again overwhelmed by you kind comments and really don't feel I can live up to them other than the "Wait.....it's a Mark Hatcher build!!!" That is where we can all sit back and enjoy as it unfolds. This includes me as well, as other than general conversation and picking out some materials, wondering if we go do this or that, Mark is the sole designer here on this one. I will wait along with the rest of you!!!!

PS This is also very true and very well put "As one of the more recent members of the forum, I've been overwhelmed with this community and everyone's generosity in sharing techniques and ideas. Builders, players, and individuals drawn to the artistry and craftsmanship...you all have developed a wonderful brotherhood that is a pleasure to be a part of, as well as a offering a positive and valuable return on the investment of time spent here."
Old 03-20-2016, 04:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default The Back

Here are some pictures of the back coming together:

Lot's more to come!

Old 03-20-2016, 06:28 AM

A Hatcher parlor in beautiful koa and western red cedar.....that is pure perfection. Mark's guitars are so stunningly responsive and this combination will undoubtedly create a most incredible guitar. Congrats. Look forward to watching this build.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 03-20-2016, 07:10 AM

Great photos of beautiful work as usual!

Mark, did you actually post that at 4:04 AM?
Old 03-20-2016, 01:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
A Hatcher parlor in beautiful koa and western red cedar.....that is pure perfection. Mark's guitars are so stunningly responsive and this combination will undoubtedly create a most incredible guitar. Congrats. Look forward to watching this build.
Thanks ukejon!

I have done this combination before with sister sets of the Koa but, not as a parlor. I'm looking forward to the results!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticMrFox View Post
Great photos of beautiful work as usual!

Mark, did you actually post that at 4:04 AM?
Thanks FantasticMrFox!

I am an early riser. I wake up at 5:00 and start work in the shop at 6:00am That post was done after 6:00 so there must be a time zone difference or computer clock difference for it to read that early--I was still snoozing at 4:04am!

Thanks Again,
Mark

Old 03-21-2016, 02:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Moving along

Here are a couple pictures of the back coming together. This is a cedar center graft being glued up and the shaped:

We decided to use Cocobolo for the binding and trim. It's my personal favorite with Koa because the red in it does a great job bringing up the warmth of the Koa colors. Here is a picture of a previous guitar done with this combination and a couple pictures of the back center strip on Tom's guitar:

Thanks for viewing!
Mark

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop