The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-18-2021, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Default What happened to the excitement about Blackbird savoys

I feel like there was a lot of excitement and love for them and now really emerald is all the talk. I own both but I wouldn’t even know blackbird existed if I started reading this forum now. Is is just a flavor of the month sort of problem?
Old 04-18-2021, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

I owned a Savoy (the first sunburst to my knowledge) and liked it a lot, but I never managed to get used to its ergonomics so I sold it eventually. But it deserves more attention for sure!

If I had to guess, I would think that the lack of interest comes from a combination of high price and lack of possible customization.
That's what makes Emerald so fascinating: you can basically design your own guitar, tweak every single detail to make it unique (at least that was the case until now). An endless source of discussion on the forum
Old 04-18-2021, 02:58 PM
Guest 928

I think that a lot of people on this forum are into innovation and Emerald has been an innovative leader. And there's this--the customization available with Emerald has been a real draw and resulted in some pretty incredible instruments.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:06 PM

I have the first Savoy sent to a customer. I still love it and play it regularly. It is a great guitar.
Barb
Old 04-18-2021, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

I'll admit I was interested early one but put off by the price. Same with the Sable's.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:57 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I’d taken a chance on one. Didn’t like the ergonomics, it just didn’t “fit” me. I wasn’t fussy about it overall. Fastest in and out of any guitar I’ve owned. Jmo.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

I got to try one a couple years ago; first I had seen an Ekoa guitar. It was a decent guitar, but nothing about it wowed me. Considering the price and sound, for me, there are better carbon fiber options. I liked the size and appreciated the sound-port on the side, but something about the Ekoa looked unfinished to me... an additional $600 or so to get a glossy finish.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:26 AM

I love my Savoy, absolutely incredible sound for such a small and comfortable guitar. I play it every day, just as I do my Emerald X30.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:41 PM

I was really excited about the Savoy until I found out how small the body really was. If they made a version with a full-sized GC/OM body, I would be interested again.

I am very interested in the idea of using plant-derived fibers in composite materials like Ekoa. I've been hoping someone would try something similar with bamboo fibers, or hemp, or even cotton. Or some combination thereof. The sonic possibilities seem very exciting to me.

I know the El Capitan is not that much bigger than a GC/OM, but I also want the cutaway, shorter scale length and 12-fret neck. Guess I'm just picky.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I'll admit I was interested early one but put off by the price. Same with the Sable's.
BTW, the Sables are the "real deal" in terms of tone. If they only made a 16" bout version that could compete with a Banjo, I'd have it. The 15" was wonderful sounding, but didn't work in ensemble.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Probably best to stay with the "cheap" Froggies ! LOL, just sounded funny to me after admiring your Frog .
Old 04-21-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
I was really excited about the Savoy until I found out how small the body really was. If they made a version with a full-sized GC/OM body, I would be interested again.

I am very interested in the idea of using plant-derived fibers in composite materials like Ekoa. I've been hoping someone would try something similar with bamboo fibers, or hemp, or even cotton. Or some combination thereof. The sonic possibilities seem very exciting to me.

I know the El Capitan is not that much bigger than a GC/OM, but I also want the cutaway, shorter scale length and 12-fret neck. Guess I'm just picky.
What's wrong with wood fibers like Martin HPL?
Old 04-21-2021, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Probably best to stay with the "cheap" Froggies ! LOL, just sounded funny to me after admiring your Frog .
Well, you're not wrong there. I'll say in my defense that at the time I was considering the Savoy I was not in the market for a Froggy. Price comparison at that time was between the Savoy and a fully customizable Emerald. Of course now those prices have risen dramatically so not much of a comparison there anymore either.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, you're not wrong there. I'll say in my defense that at the time I was considering the Savoy I was not in the market for a Froggy. Price comparison at that time was between the Savoy and a fully customizable Emerald. Of course now those prices have risen dramatically so not much of a comparison there anymore either.
I get it, and was just joking, some reason I found it funny. There are several guitars I sold that I wish I hadn't, and now can't afford to buy then back due to the price increases. Makes one wonder where the prices will be in a few years.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
What's wrong with wood fibers like Martin HPL?
I don't know anything about Martin HPL. Is it as resistant to changes in temperature and humidity as carbon fiber composite and Ekoa? Do they make whole guitars out of it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber