The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-05-2021, 08:50 AM

Thumbs up Any alto recorder players here?

So to compliment all my home music making primarily piano everything from Bach thru Randy Newman and I had a friend very accurately transcribe a Judee Sill song for piano..... and guitar most recently Cheryl Wheeler , early Roy Harper and of course Bert Jansch, but this week I retrieved my alto recorder that’s been resting in a decorative bowl on the piano for too long and am happily again playing without too many Renaissance/baroque squeaks and not noticeable on the Irish jigs and reels but because I used to play mostly. soprano recorder I still remember those fingerings on a C instrument as opposed to the alto F. Oh well....
Old 03-05-2021, 08:56 AM

Old 03-06-2021, 03:55 AM
Charter Member

Yes, I have a beautiful alto that I love the sound of, but I usually fall back to playing the soprano. The soprano was the first instrument I ever played... I started it when I was 8. Maybe there is more emotional attachment to the soprano. And maybe this thread will inspire me to bring out the alto more often. So, thanks for the reminder.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Hey, jansch... we have over 100,000 members and you and I are the only alto recorder players? Who'd a thunk it?
Old 03-08-2021, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

I played alto recorder as a kid. I wonder what every happened to it? I loved the sound.

I remember Judee Sill. I had the album that has "vigilante" on it. I played it a lot.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 03-08-2021, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Another alto player! Hey, KB... now if you can sing like a bird while you're playing alto recorder, I'm really gonna be impressed!
Old 03-08-2021, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Another alto player! Hey, KB... now if you can sing like a bird while you're playing alto recorder, I'm really gonna be impressed!
Ha-Ha-Ha
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 03-09-2021, 08:48 AM

Ya know I too have been surprised by the paucity of alto recorder players within the AGF community but that’s in the hey ho category ! I’ve been playing daily for the last 2 weeks since I rescued the wooden Schott alto from its long term cradle in the catch all small basket on the lid of the piano. I used to play a lot of soprano (called descant in the uk) recorder mostly Irish jigs ,reels etc.
I think the Schott is good enough for now, tone is warm and mellow, breath control
and lack of practice still make for squeaks on lowest F note , and I do still have to remind myself that it’s an F not a C instrument,
Karen, Judee Sill I first heard on the John Peel radio show 10 to midnight in the uk in 1971, and immediately bought that first album with glorious songs “Lady O” , “Jesus was a cross maker” and others , the ‘catch’ and timbre of her voice is unique and mesmerizing, lots now on You Tube check her appearance on “The Old Grey Whistle Test” and the piano song “The Kiss”. I heard nothing from her on the radio and pre internet days for 25+ years until a Boston folk and acoustic college station WUMB played “Lady O” I was in the car and had to pull over!
It saddens me still of her tragic short life.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

A couple of years ago at The 17th Harp Guitar Gathering one of our guests was Michael O'brien. He is an underachiever ( instrument restoration expert for some museum, Luthier, Cabinet builder, Home builder, fairer, etc, etc). His daughter Emily was the most amazing recorder player I had ever heard.

Old 03-10-2021, 05:26 PM

So the alto recorder Brian Jones is playing on Ruby Tuesday appears to be a Schott instrument yeah!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic