The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2021, 12:50 PM

Default An unexpected love story: My New Martin Custom 000X1AE

I decided to pull the trigger on a Taylor GS Mini Rosewood which is what I thought I might like. I went to GC and of course played around with a few other guitars before heading to checkout with the GS mini. Just as I was about to leave, the soundhole rosette on the Martin Custom 000X1AE caught my eye and I thought why not, it was still busy out front and I have a few minutes to kill. I played it and I was just stunned by how great it sounded for the price. And there I was at a crossroads with the GS mini and the Martin 000. As I was playing, another customer came in and we chatted for a bit and he put in his two cents on my dilemma. "I sold an X series dreadnought a few years back and I still consider it the one that got away." I didn't take his advice and I walked out with the Taylor.
Fast forward a week later, and I'm pretty happy with the Taylor but something was missing.. something didn't feel right. The words from the guy in GC kept ringing in my head. And so with a little research and I literally mean maybe less than an hour of research and reflection, I decided that the next morning I was going to GC to get the Martin and return the Taylor.
It was the best decision I've made when it comes to guitars. I can't put this thing down. I love it...all of it. I never understood what people meant when they say, "You don't choose the guitar, the guitar chooses you." until I bought this Martin. I know it's a HPL back and sides guitar but it still sounds amazing. It has the warmth, but a bit of brightness from the solid spruce top, the neck feels amazing, I really love the performing artist neck and I actually love the way the Richlite fingerboard feels. I think I might prefer it over the ebony on the Taylor models in this price range. I think about this guitar when I'm not home playing it and when I am home, I want it in my hands every chance I get. And so far, it's handling everything I throw at it. Light strumming, heavy strumming, fingerpicking, drop tunings, open tunings, even slide (though I'm still learning). The electronics aren't my favorite but then again I've never been a huge fan of Fishman so I might swap it out later on. The only thing I keeping thinking is, "If a X series Martin sounds this good, I don't think I can even fathom how a 000-18 or 000-28 sounds.". I'm so over the moon. I highly, Highly, HIGHLY recommend this guitar. If this is what Martins feel and sound like, I'm sold for life.

Last edited by Optimist0905; 05-05-2021 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:50 PM

You bought yourself a fantastic guitar. I had one a few years ago and gave it to someone in need. The tone was rich, a little thinner and brighter than my OOO18, but still right there with that signature Martin addictive tone. Enjoy it.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:41 PM

I recently picked up a Martin OMCPA4, which also has the performing artist neck. Absolutely love this guitar.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:22 PM

A few months ago I bought one of the Martin OOO Jr’s. Feel the same as you do with yours. I also really like the Richlite fretboard. Like it much more than pay ferro and Indian laurel they have been using in place of rosewood. Somehow I think that it would be a very, very long time before it showed divots or wear. ( not that I would likely be around to find that out at 74 years old). Seems really hard and strong.

All solid wood, has that Martin sound and under $500 is a win in my book. Really a very comfortable size and more volume than I had expected (not that volume is a big deal to me). I can’t stop playing it. Since I don’t care for plugged in acoustics I am glad it has no electronics.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

"If a X series Martin sounds this good, I don't think I can even fathom how a 000-18 or 000-28 sounds."

Ah, and there in lies the problem. Martin X guitars are like the gateway drug into Martin addiction. Be sure to let us know when you get your next one!

Congratulations on your new guitar.

(if you leave it out on a stand, in a sunny room but not in the direct sunlight, you'll be amazed how fast the top gets darker. it can almost match the back and sides)
Old 05-05-2021, 08:53 PM

Default An unexpected love story: My New Martin Custom 000X1AE

I bought my daughter an all HPL OOOXM 20 years ago to take to summer camp. I have always been impressed that Martin could get that Much sound out of what
Is basically Formica.
Her father-in-law thought the same, and bought a OOOX1, which he plays more than his 10K Bozo Podunavac .
He does say that he kept looking
For the best piece of spruce on the top and feels that is why his sounds so good.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist0905 View Post
I decided to pull the trigger on a Taylor GS Mini Rosewood which is what I thought I might like. I went to GC and of course played around with a few other guitars before heading to checkout with the GS mini. Just as I was about to leave, the soundhole rosette on the Martin Custom 000X1AE caught my eye and I thought why not, it was still busy out front and I have a few minutes to kill. I played it and I was just stunned by how great it sounded for the price. And there I was at a crossroads with the GS mini and the Martin 000. As I was playing, another customer came in and we chatted for a bit and he put in his two cents on my dilemma. "I sold an X series dreadnought a few years back and I still consider it the one that got away." I didn't take his advice and I walked out with the Taylor.
Fast forward a week later, and I'm pretty happy with the Taylor but something was missing.. something didn't feel right. The words from the guy in GC kept ringing in my head. And so with a little research and I literally mean maybe less than an hour of research and reflection, I decided that the next morning I was going to GC to get the Martin and return the Taylor.
It was the best decision I've made when it comes to guitars. I can't put this thing down. I love it...all of it. I never understood what people meant when they say, "You don't choose the guitar, the guitar chooses you." until I bought this Martin. I know it's a HPL back and sides guitar but it still sounds amazing. It has the warmth, but a bit of brightness from the solid spruce top, the neck feels amazing, I really love the performing artist neck and I actually love the way the Richlite fingerboard feels. I think I might prefer it over the ebony on the Taylor models in this price range. I think about this guitar when I'm not home playing it and when I am home, I want it in my hands every chance I get. And so far, it's handling everything I throw at it. Light strumming, heavy strumming, fingerpicking, drop tunings, open tunings, even slide (though I'm still learning). The electronics aren't my favorite but then again I've never been a huge fan of Fishman so I might swap it out later on. The only thing I keeping thinking is, "If a X series Martin sounds this good, I don't think I can even fathom how a 000-18 or 000-28 sounds.". I'm so over the moon. I highly, Highly, HIGHLY recommend this guitar. If this is what Martins feel and sound like, I'm sold for life.
Got one a few years back. Best sounding guitar I've ever had.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist0905 View Post
I think about this guitar when I'm not home playing it and when I am home, I want it in my hands every chance I get.

I love this - I love the absolute joy and delight this guitar brings you. It's a pretty good reminder that what the price ticket says isn't everything, it's how the instrument makes you feel.

I've got an OM21, it wasn't my most expensive guitar (probably is now as others have gone, but I bought it second hand anyway), it's not in perfect condition, the binding has moved slightly, the finish has gone a bit 'orange peel' in places... and I don't care, it's the one I pick up every single day.

Enjoy that guitar, enjoy that feeling, and play the hell out of it!

Huss and Dalton 00-SP
Martin OM21
Martin 000-17SM
Sigma SDM-18S
Naylor 'Spered Evel' custom made
Old 05-06-2021, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on your Martin! Enjoy the heck out of it!
Old 05-11-2021, 10:15 AM

Good to see more love for this guitar...a flat top is not my main instrument, but how can a guitar player be without one!? The Martin 000x1ae fit the bill perfectly for me, as it feels like a Martin, and sounds pretty much like one too.

I'm really into the idea of alternative materials too...my "hippy dippy" side. But I want to see makers experimenting now, because these guitars are only going to get better and better as companies try more things out with them, and traditional tonewoods are going to need to be replaced at some point, maybe not in my lifetime, but I imagine certainly in my kids' lifetime.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-11-2021, 10:47 AM

Congratulations! I just sold one,I couldn´t stand the artificial feel of the neck and it was quite a bit neck heavy for me that I like to play standing.On the plus it stayed well in tune and not bad sounding at all.I´m looking to replace it with a Martin SWOMGT,if I find one.So if anybody wants to sell his just let me know.
Gibson SJ200,Martin OM28V,D18GE custom,000-18 2015,J12-15,Yamaha L25A,L20A,FG350W,FG441S-12,SLG200S,Taylor GSMini mahogany,National M1 tricone,Eastman E10ss/v,Gretch Honey Dipper,Harp Guitar,FenderStratocaster,Line 6 300/600/700 acoustic,W Rees Aberdeen meadows Harp,Fullsicle Harp,2 sitars,more instruments and guitars
Old 05-11-2021, 01:38 PM

As a fellow owner of a Martin 000X1AE, I understand your enthusiasm. I've got more expensive guitars but none that I enjoy playing more. Congratulations and enjoy!

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion