The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-20-2020, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

I understand the whole aging/appearance after a gap of time thing but would like to think that as seniors, our worth is much more than just the sum total of our appearance...
Old 02-20-2020, 06:53 AM

It’s entirely understandable to react to the look of a once physically beautiful person whom you knew. I often wonder what my “first love” lady might look like today. It’s been 53 years since I last saw her.
I keep her in my mind and heart the way she looked at 17. That’s good enough for me.
Anyway, I wonder what the lady in the OP thought when she saw him?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-20-2020, 07:04 AM

deleted........
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Last edited by ifret; 02-20-2020 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:55 AM

My 40th reunion had shock and surprise that was good and sad. The situations where being critical was fair were about how people cared for themselves and behave more than for matters that can't be helped.

Here's what really stood out and I think a more fair way to look at time and age. Two cute classmates were there who've hung together for 6 decades now. One was nasty as far as kid peer behavior and one was always decent. The one who was nasty as a kid looks good for a woman in her 60s but her social media posts show not much as changed with her ways. The other didn't age as well but as we were doing some cleanup and sort of adult in the room moments I could only see her as one of the most beautiful people ever - still kind, still thoughtful and the one in that pair with the most powerful smiles.

When I've gone to reunions and meetups with people in the past it's mostly been no regrets. There's been some sadness over loss. I think I'll still make efforts for stuff like that because some gatherings are also getting people in community and social settings that are good for them.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
True, but decades of cigarette and alcohol abuse certainly doesn’t help.
Bingo .......

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-20-2020, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
From this side of my eyes, I look pretty much look the same as ever. I don't even know that stranger staring back at me in the mirror!

Fog
Ain't that the truth I sometimes look in mirror and wonder "who is that old fart ?". There is a saying that goes " Inside every old person is young one wondering "What the Heck Happened ??"

But humor aside I count my self lucky to be relatively healthy, still active, and weigh 10 lbs less than I did in High School which was 158 . But the ol' face is much like in the lyrics in the chorus of this original song below " wind blown and ravaged"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-20-2020 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

I try not to look at people through their choices. But their, or our, choices have a bearing on our stories. It all has an influence as to how we interact with each other. After a life time the human condition has taken it's toll on all of us in one way or another. None of us are what we were and we've all made mistakes. And that is a false equivalence statement. When I look at people like the OPs friend from the past I think for the grace of god there go I. I am grateful for the pot holes in life I've stepped around or over. Today's a new day. We'll see how it goes.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-20-2020, 09:02 AM

My 50th High School reunion was held last summer. I've never attended any reunion in the past, and didn't attend this one. I've stayed in touch with a couple of people from my class over the years, and one of them sent me some photos from the reunion. The photos proved to be interesting. There were some people in the photos who I immediately recognized after 50 years of not seeing them, and there were some who I found to be so totally transformed as to make me incredulous that they were the person that my friend claimed them to be. Worth mentioning too that not all of the transformations were of the negative variety.

As interesting as the photos were, the thing that affected me the most was the list of the deceased from my class. Nearly 60 members of my class of 400 had passed. One of those was the guy who had first encouraged me to start writing songs, and with whom I played in a band and co-written a dozen songs before we went our separate ways to college. Somehow I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that he wasn't around any more. I found it very hard to grasp the fact that the world of my memories of what should always exist no longer does. A day hasn't gone by since I learned of his passing that I haven't thought of him and what I've lost. Time is short. Make the most of it before it's too late. It's all worthy of appreciation.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-20-2020, 10:35 AM

A couple of years ago I met up with an old girlfriend from high school, which was some 50 years ago. Prior to meeting I had seen pictures of her on Facebook, and I must say I'm not sure I would have recognized her if I didn't know who she was. In addition she had gained quite a bit of weight (but then, who hasn't). We went out to dinner with her and my wife, and I must say, we all immediately hit it off, it reminded me of why we dated.

Morale of the story, beauty is skin deep.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

I had a similar experience at our 20th reunion. There were so many of my classmates who were in poor health and deteriorating so much that the experience was overall kind of depressing. It was still great to see some folks, but man. And no, it's not genetics or it's certainly not all genetics. Some folks have had a rough time. I kind of live in a health and wellness bubble in the part of California I live in, and my hometown was...let's say...not so much.

I skipped 30. It's a long drive and I see most of the folks I want to see anyway. I understand the OP's reaction, seems very normal and relatable to me. It's tough to see people you cared about not doing well.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:16 PM
Musical minimalist

When we are in high school, not many of us have a care in the world - at least any that mean anything (what jeans you want to wear when you go out on a Friday)

The years can be tough on us in different ways. I've been to every reunion so far and our 40th is this summer. I'm sure there will be some who think I've aged a bit since the 30th - major challenges taking care of my parents all by myself have taken their toll on my emotions.

I've used intense exercise (as always) to combat the stress, so in that respect I'm not too much different, it's more my attitude towards things. I used to be the "life of the party" kind of a guy, now I'm having trouble being in a crowd for very long at all. Idle chatter just isn't my thing anymore and it's a hard thing to hide.

I'm guessing some of my old friends will be asking if I'm alright after I walk away from chatting. Just not the same guy I used to be.

Plus, I've lost my head full of hair!

Old 02-20-2020, 01:45 PM

Did you ever consider She felt the same way ?
From my side of my vision, I don't feel any different than I did in High School. That is what is so sad about aging, we don't feel it in ourselves except for maybe health reasons. Otherwise we still feel the same inside, at least I do.
I can guarantee you, except for life experiences she is still the same girl inside.

ED
Old 02-20-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
Did you ever consider She felt the same way ?
From my side of my vision, I don't feel any different than I did in High School. That is what is so sad about aging, we don't feel it in ourselves except for maybe health reasons. Otherwise we still feel the same inside, at least I do.
I can guarantee you, except for life experiences she is still the same girl inside.

ED
I’m sure she is the same basic person inside. Im not talking about beauty or basic aging. I’m just saying she was in very visibly poor condition. Sad to see.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:11 PM

Class Reunions....

Never been to one,,,...

Don't plan to....
Old 02-20-2020, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
I had a similar experience at our 20th reunion. There were so many of my classmates who were in poor health and deteriorating so much that the experience was overall kind of depressing. It was still great to see some folks, but man. And no, it's not genetics or it's certainly not all genetics. Some folks have had a rough time. I kind of live in a health and wellness bubble in the part of California I live in, and my hometown was...let's say...not so much.

I skipped 30. It's a long drive and I see most of the folks I want to see anyway. I understand the OP's reaction, seems very normal and relatable to me. It's tough to see people you cared about not doing well.
I'm shocked to read about "so many classmates in poor health, and deteriorating so much" that a 20 year HS reunion was depressing? Gawd! Those people were under 40 years old!

Don

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic