The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-19-2020, 08:58 PM

Default Sorry I went......

Went over the weekend to a gathering for a girl I graduated HS with in 1973. She was gorgeous in high school and so was her 1 year younger sister who I dated the last 6 months of my senior year. She was adorable then.

Do the math. Haven’t seen her sister since. Strange how you still think of that person as still looking the same. Honestly, I have wondered about her for 40 some years. As gorgeous as she was, I knew regardless of the years gone by that she would still be stunning. I asked a buddy if xxx was coming. Yes that’s her right there!

I could barely recognize her. I was so saddened to see her. Smoking and drinking had taken a heavy toll. My buddy immediately knew what was going on in my mind. He looked me directly in the eyes and said, keep your memories and thank God for the great times you had.

Been bothering me since Saturday night. Just unloading here.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

You've handily summed up why the only reunion I've attended was my 10 year high school gathering...
Old 02-19-2020, 09:42 PM

Sometimes I see myself in a photo (or the mirror) and wonder who that old man is...
Old 02-19-2020, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
Sometimes I see myself in a photo (or the mirror) and wonder who that old man is...
I avoid mirrors in order to skirt that issue...
Old 02-19-2020, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Some people age well and some people don't. I haven't figured out why that is...

- Glenn
Old 02-19-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Some people age well and some people don't. I haven't figured out why that is...

- Glenn
True, but decades of cigarette and alcohol abuse certainly doesn’t help.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Assuming there was more to your attraction than just her looks, you could choose to believe that the person she is now has grown and deepened and that she is wonderful person. That might help you feel better.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 02-19-2020, 10:29 PM

Thumbs up yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
True, but decades of cigarette and alcohol abuse certainly doesn’t help.
ain't it the truth
Old 02-19-2020, 10:43 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Let’s not forget that being surprised by the appearance of others after many years, we may or may not appear to have aged well to them.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Went over the weekend to a gathering for a girl I graduated HS with in 1973. She was gorgeous in high school and so was her 1 year younger sister who I dated the last 6 months of my senior year. She was adorable then.

Do the math. Haven’t seen her sister since. Strange how you still think of that person as still looking the same. Honestly, I have wondered about her for 40 some years. As gorgeous as she was, I knew regardless of the years gone by that she would still be stunning. I asked a buddy if xxx was coming. Yes that’s her right there!

I could barely recognize her. I was so saddened to see her. Smoking and drinking had taken a heavy toll. My buddy immediately knew what was going on in my mind. He looked me directly in the eyes and said, keep your memories and thank God for the great times you had.

Been bothering me since Saturday night. Just unloading here.

Did you ever wonder what she might have thought about how you looked, 40+ years after those dreamboat days of high school? Perhaps she felt disappointed from her expectations as well?

Don
Old 02-20-2020, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
Did you ever wonder what she might have thought about how you looked, 40+ years after those dreamboat days of high school? Perhaps she felt disappointed from her expectations as well?

Don
I’m not talking about superficial beauty. Everyone ages. I’m talking about how life choices, smoking and alcohol have taken over her overall health. It was sad.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:37 AM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
I’m not talking about superficial beauty. Everyone ages. I’m talking about how life choices, smoking and alcohol have taken over her overall health. It was sad.
Half your original post was about the woman's superficial beauty 45 years ago, and how it had faded... You wrote nothing about her present health troubles, caused by her smoking, & drinking?

Everyone does age, but some people age far more drastically than others.... I met up with my old high school flame a few years ago, and barely recognized her. She doesn't smoke, or drink, but her hair had turned completely white, and she weighed a hundred pounds more than she did, as a cute little brunette, back when we were HS sweethearts. I felt sorry for her, but gratefully relieved I didn't end up marrying her!

Don
Old 02-20-2020, 03:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

- Glenn
Its in the genes .... or in the jeans.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:46 AM

If Keith Richards turned up at his school reunion I don't think many would be tut tuting about years of cigarettes and booze and wrinkly skin.

It seems that this attitude is generally reserved for the ladies.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:57 AM

From this side of my eyes, I look pretty much look the same as ever. I don't even know that stranger staring back at me in the mirror!

Fog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic