The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-14-2020, 12:32 PM

Default how do you improvement in guitar learning?

Hi Everyone,

I've been away for while. Went back to Vietnam for the Luna New Year and things are crazy over there, well Asia in general, due to the corona virus. People over there are really freaking out.

My son has been taking guitar lesson like two to three times a week just before 2019 thanksgiving and he has been practicing like two hours everyday. I am working from home today and I listen to his guitar practice since he does not have school today. He can play the following songs well now:

- Viva La Vida by coldplay,
- Heart of Life by John Mayer,
- clock by coldplay,
- daughters by John Mayer,
- House of the rising Sun

From my untrained ear, he seems to improve a lot from where he started three months ago but how would one determine how fast he has improved over that time period? Get a second opinion beside his instructor?

TIA.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

i only started improving when I began to discipline myself to practicing...not playing...but PRACTICING every day. Some days, I practice an hour or so at a time...other days, I grab my guitar and practice 3-4 times at half that time span. But, I practice every day on purpose.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:48 PM

If he's taking a lesson 2-3 times a week and practicing 2 hours a day, I'd be willing to bet he's progressing faster than about 99% of people who pick up the guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-14-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
i only started improving when I began to discipline myself to practicing...not playing...but PRACTICING every day. Some days, I practice an hour or so at a time...other days, I grab my guitar and practice 3-4 times at half that time span. But, I practice every day on purpose.
Hi,

He PRACTICES two hours everyday. School is very much over for him at this point since the first semester ended a few weeks ago and grades are submitted to colleges. He heard back from all the colleges he wanted to attend and will decide before May 1st where he wants to attend. In the mean time, he has lot of free time.

In his normal routine, he practices guitar an hour in the morning before school and another hour after school. He also practices piano an hour every day. He has been playing piano for over ten years and he is not ready to give that up yet even though he loves playing guitar more.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

May I humbly suggest that you ask your son how he feels he is progressing, and, equally important, where he feels he is not.
David
Old 02-14-2020, 02:16 PM

Speaking only for myself...

I can not make good use of lessons multiple times a week. Maybe I'm just a slow learner, but it takes me a week or two to process what was taught during a lesson.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciesec2006 View Post

From my untrained ear, he seems to improve a lot from where he started three months ago but how would one determine how fast he has improved over that time period? Get a second opinion beside his instructor?

TIA.
How does he do when you jam with him? That would be a good indicator of progress in my mind.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 02-14-2020, 02:31 PM

It sounds like your son is doing great. If he is having fun and getting along with his teacher, why change the arrangement?
Old 02-14-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
How does he do when you jam with him? That would be a good indicator of progress in my mind.
Unfortunately, I don't know much about music
Old 02-14-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Get a second opinion beside his instructor?
What is his instructor's opinion?
Old 02-14-2020, 02:46 PM

To this day the best, most impressive guitar player I ever heard was when I was a kid decades ago. I asked him how he got that good and he said "kid, it's easy. You have to practice 6 hours a day." Aside from no time for homework, movies, chasing girls and general fun time, I didn't see how that was possible in reality so I never did it. Believe me, it shows!
Old 02-14-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeld View Post
It sounds like your son is doing great. If he is having fun and getting along with his teacher, why change the arrangement?
I am not looking to change teacher. or the arraingment I am just interested in knowing that he keeps improving each week. When he starts college in September, he will not be able to practice guitar two hours everyday unless he wants to fail college classes
Old 02-14-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyException View Post
What is his instructor's opinion?
The instructor's opinion is that he is doing well. Then again, I don't know for sure because he is getting paid
Old 02-14-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKell View Post
To this day the best, most impressive guitar player I ever heard was when I was a kid decades ago. I asked him how he got that good and he said "kid, it's easy. You have to practice 6 hours a day." Aside from no time for homework, movies, chasing girls and general fun time, I didn't see how that was possible in reality so I never did it. Believe me, it shows!
LOL... My son will be going to college in September. He is also an athlete so he will not have time to practice guitar two hours everyday due to sports and academic. He is also "very" interested in chasing girls .

He wants to practice guitar as much as he can because this is down time for him. His guitar skill and because he is also an athlete, according to him, will help him with college ladies.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-14-2020 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Repaired quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I've been away for while. Went back to Vietnam for the Luna New Year and things are crazy over there, well Asia in general, due to the corona virus. People over there are really freaking out.

My son has been taking guitar lesson like two to three times a week just before 2019 thanksgiving and he has been practicing like two hours everyday. I am working from home today and I listen to his guitar practice since he does not have school today. He can play the following songs well now:

- Viva La Vida by coldplay,
- Heart of Life by John Mayer,
- clock by coldplay,
- daughters by John Mayer,
- House of the rising Sun

TIA.
Why the need to quantify his progress? The world we live in already puts way too much emphasis on performance... If he is playing that much, his enjoyment is probably quite high, and that feels to me like the #1 priority, unless he wants to make a living as a professional musician.

I think more than one lesson per week is overkill, as the real learning process takes place in the time BETWEEN lessons.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write