The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-11-2020, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Marshal DSL40CR thoughts

What's is the general consensus on this amp? I have read reviews but I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has owned one or tried it out.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:52 PM

Its beautiful to look at. its heavy for its size. high gain and higher gain are its place in life. Its no fender clean platform. Its a Marshall full stack for apartment dwellers. It roars. I returned it right away even though its so good looking😭
Old 02-12-2020, 02:19 PM

I've had mine since September 2018. Its both my gigging amp (1-2 gigs/month), as well as my home amp.
I happen to love the mid-gain levels of this amp. It works great with single coil as well as humbuckers, and has some sufficient meat to the sound.
High gain sounds great too, but I don't live there too much these days.
Clean channel is pretty squishy sounding, and will compress. There's not a ton of sparkling Fender-clean headroom there, but it still has a cool vibe going. Its a mid-scooped sounding amp, especially that clean channel. I was pleasantly surprised with the clean side, I do have to say I like it.
Coming from a previous JCM900, this is the first Marshall that I've had where I don't feel the need to use an attenuator. I think it does a very good job even at living-room-TV volumes. And at gigging volumes, its even better.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:39 PM

Hey Todd, I too have read plenty of reviews over the past year. Unfortunately I haven't played one though. I was actually looking into the 20 watt head but as far as Marshalls go it's a very well received amp.

Are you looking into it for moderate gain?
Old 02-12-2020, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

I am. I have a Princeton Reverb but would like something for overdriven stuff. Nothing too heavy though. Maybe Mark Knopfler type of overdriven sound.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:47 PM

Hey Todd, Guitar Center has a 15% off President's Day week-end special. Go give one a try. Also try the 20w as well. I've read tons of great reviews on that one (the head).
Old 02-14-2020, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Todd, Guitar Center has a 15% off President's Day week-end special. Go give one a try. Also try the 20w as well. I've read tons of great reviews on that one (the head).
I may just do that!
Old 02-17-2020, 01:19 PM

I suggest the DSL20 head or 1x12 combo. I had the DSL40 and it is loud and cuttingly bright. The 20 is still loud and bright, but more manageable. I think that with the treble and presence dialed way back, it really sounds pretty good. The preamp distortion is a little farty, so it needs to have some volume behind it to sound smooth. When you get it dialed in though, it is nice.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I suggest the DSL20 head or 1x12 combo. I had the DSL40 and it is loud and cuttingly bright. The 20 is still loud and bright, but more manageable. I think that with the treble and presence dialed way back, it really sounds pretty good. The preamp distortion is a little farty, so it needs to have some volume behind it to sound smooth. When you get it dialed in though, it is nice.
The DSL20HR (head) sounds like a great amp. It's the head I'll look for.

One difference between the 20w and 40w cab is that the speaker is different, Seventy 80 vs V-Type, with the Seventy 80 being considered an economy speaker.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Not the case with the DSL40CR vs the DSL40C.
They did a great job with the CR where it works great at low volumes, I ditched my attenuator.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercoffee1 View Post
Not the case with the DSL40CR vs the DSL40C.
They did a great job with the CR where it works great at low volumes, I ditched my attenuator.
That's great if you like the DSL40's preamp gain sound. I honestly find it fizzy and prefer a little volume to smooth it out.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:23 AM

Quote:
That's great if you like the DSL40's preamp gain sound. I honestly find it fizzy and prefer a little volume to smooth it out.
Fizzy preamp gain reads pretty common - comes with the territory - on the other hand the fat midrange you have described of the Origin is more to my liking, come to think of it, and is shared by the Fender Blues Junior. The Origin reads of the ‘original’ Marshall tweaks to the Bassman which resulted in a bright, colourful and prominent midrange wholly dependent on output power stage (volume) for gain, and not the modern scooped midrange of the DSL. I’m sure I would be happy with the Origin and make it work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars