The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-08-2020, 04:33 PM

Default Dang it...new amp

Went to GC to play with new amps to see what it would like to pair with my Strat.
$400 budget
Never should have played anything outside my budget.......
Now I own a 65 Princeton Reverb.
Martin D-16e
Goldtone CCR100 Banjo
Fender Albert Hammond Jr. Strat
Fender Player limited edition Cherry Burst Strat
Fender Squire Classic Vibe Tele
Old 02-08-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerbullet View Post
Went to GC to play with new amps to see what it would like to pair with my Strat.
$400 budget
LOL. Just like guitars, never play an amp you aren’t willing to buy.

ETA: I have a Princeton.
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Totally ambivalent about most solid state amps, I've always preferred to play tubes onstage.

In just about half a century of performing with various rock cover bands, I've played through many combos, vintage and otherwise - Fender, Mesa, Carvin, Orange, Vox, Peavey... and a 50W Marshall combo I returned to Guitar Center because it sounded muddy on the "distortion channel" no matter which guitar I used. Every one of those amps sounded "almost okay," but I often had knobs turned fully one way or the other, wishing I could get just a little bit more, or less, of whatever they controlled.

I finally discovered the Crate Vintage Club combo amp series (all tube amps), with very pleasing tone, volume and adjustable growl. More than a few self-labeled "brand-nazis" have approached me between sets to rave about the sounds of my Crate VC2110, VC3112, and VC5310 combos (I always took off the name plates so people would wonder - fun).

Most pleasing given how little I paid for the amps, my satisfaction with how they performed, and lots of extremely positive feedback.

YMMV
Old 02-08-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
Totally ambivalent about most solid state amps, I've always preferred to play tubes onstage.

In just about half a century of performing with various rock cover bands, I've played through many combos, vintage and otherwise - Fender, Mesa, Carvin, Orange, Vox, Peavey... and a 50W Marshall combo I returned to Guitar Center because it sounded muddy on the "distortion channel" no matter which guitar I used. Every one of those amps sounded "almost okay," but I often had knobs turned fully one way or the other, wishing I could get just a little bit more, or less, of whatever they controlled.

I finally discovered the Crate Vintage Club combo amp series (all tube amps), with very pleasing tone, volume and adjustable growl. More than a few self-labeled "brand-nazis" have approached me between sets to rave about the sounds of my Crate VC2110, VC3112, and VC5310 combos (I always took off the name plates so people would wonder - fun).

Most pleasing given how little I paid for the amps, my satisfaction with how they performed, and lots of extremely positive feedback.

YMMV
I also have a Crate Vintage Club 20. It is a great little amp.
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:38 PM

Those dang New Amp Days . At least you didn't try a Friedman - they sound fantastic and are very $$$.

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 02-08-2020, 07:59 PM

Great amp! Great choice! Congratulations!
Old 02-08-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
...I finally discovered the Crate Vintage Club combo amp series (all tube amps), with very pleasing tone, volume and adjustable growl. More than a few self-labeled "brand-nazis" have approached me between sets to rave about the sounds of my Crate VC2110, VC3112, and VC5310 combos (I always took off the name plates so people would wonder - fun).

Most pleasing given how little I paid for the amps, my satisfaction with how they performed, and lots of extremely positive feedback...
Pun intended...?

All kidding aside, I remember the Crate Vintage Club amps well and I'm sorry I didn't scoop up the NOS 5310 hiding in plain sight on MandoBros selling floor for years. That said, I don't know if you've ever sat down and given any of the Bugera V-Series combos a good workout; I have two (V5 and V22) that I use as my regular band practice/gigging amps, and IMO they're the modern equivalent of the Crates in spirit and practice - loads of sweet tubey goodness, clean as you need or dirty as you want, at a price that'll open the ears (and furrow the brows) of many an owner of more-rarefied gear (FYI I proudly display the logos on mine). Along with a substantial number of your fellow AGF'ers who are now happy owners, I think you'll find a lot to like in terms of both tone and price: $199 for the 1x8" single-ended V5 (my band-practice/coffeehouse gig amp), $399 for the 1x12"/2xEL84 22W/15W V22 (my workhorse medium-hall/large-club go-to), and $449 for the 1x12" 55W/22W V55 (a 2x6L6 tone/volume monster for the big gigs, or loads of clean headroom for your jazzbox), all street prices and highly negotiable IME; check them out first chance you get, and let us know when (not if) you finally decide to take the plunge...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 02-09-2020 at 11:09 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 02-08-2020, 09:53 PM

good choice and a great amp
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 02-09-2020, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerbullet View Post

$400 budget

Congrats on the new amp; it might be more than you were thinking of spending but you’ll probably never want to part with it!

I was work-damaged early on in my search for the best amp! When researching what back line we should have for visiting artists at the theatre where I work I figured we should have one Fender tube and one Marshall tube combos. Everything I read and heard said Deluxe Reverb for the Fender, so I bought in Fender 65 DRRI (and a Marshall JVM combo). The Marshall rarely gets asked for so eventually I ordered in a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for when our guests ask for two amps (not everyone has their own overdrive or distortion pedals, especially when it’s music students. The Hot Rod gives us all the basics in one package without going to modelling amps, which frankly most novices and some professionals can’t handle in the time available to them).

Because of this my dream amp was the Deluxe Reverb and nothing I could afford for a while came up to it - though I like the Princeton very much and would have been happy with one of those too! We’ve had artists on our small stage with those and they are worth their weight in gold for tone at real-world levels!

I eventually managed to get my own DRRI just over a year ago so I’ve stopped borrowing the one at work...!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 02-09-2020, 06:19 AM

I find the use of “ brand nazi” highly inappropriate. A close friend’s parents were Holocaust survivors.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the amp.

Been there, done that.

Was shopping for a BF Deluxe Reverb, but walked out with a boutique clone (Vintage Sound) that literally blew away every DR that the shop had. Killer amp, even though it's way too much for my bedroom playing (even with an attenuator).

Would still love to have a Princeton Reverb (just cause....)

D
Old 02-09-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:

YMMV
I’m not quite sure about your lead in statement. The 65 Princeton is an all tube amp
Martin D-16e
Goldtone CCR100 Banjo
Old 02-09-2020, 08:18 AM

You made a wise choice in selecting a Princeton Reverb. It’s such a fantastic amp. I bought the version with the 12” speaker and tweed cabinet from SW a couple of years ago. One of the best musical equipment decisions I’ve made. Congrats and enjoy!
Old 02-09-2020, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Those dang New Amp Days . At least you didn't try a Friedman - they sound fantastic and are very $$$.

Congrats and enjoy!
Ha ! we need anew acronym

Accidental Over Budget Amp

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-09-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneThing View Post
You made a wise choice in selecting a Princeton Reverb. It’s such a fantastic amp. I bought the version with the 12” speaker and tweed cabinet from SW a couple of years ago. One of the best musical equipment decisions I’ve made. Congrats and enjoy!
That’s the one I picked up. I really like the tweed brown
Martin D-16e
Goldtone CCR100 Banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars