The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-06-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Ah. That’s certainly a tell. And having Hi’Los. Rosewood board and Hi’lo pickups makes it a MIK. Good catch!
I will know for sure sometime next week.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realbluesman View Post
Now comes the challenge of finding the right case...
I'm using this one for my 3-PU 5622 - near-double for the Gretsch Western case at one-fourth the price:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...dy-guitar-case
Old 02-06-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I'm using this one for my 3-PU 5622 - near-double for the Gretsch Western case at one-fourth the price:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...dy-guitar-case
Thanks for that. I saw it on Amazon, but it had mixed reviews. I'll be ordering it.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Yep. But, hohen references spending $487 (including tax) and then references it as the 5620T. Guessing he mis-typed and meant 5622. Although, I did miss that the 5622’s on sale were MIC not Korea.
Sorry, my MIC reference was about one of the available Gretsch cases that fits this model. The 5622's that were on sale, I believe, are MIK. I bought a georgia green a while ago and a walnut stain this time around.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:09 PM

Default MIK E-Matic 5622 Update

FYI the MIK 5622's at Adorama are sold out...

Congrats to all my fellow AGF'ers who took this opportunity to jump on the Gretsch bandwagon - use them well, often, and LOUD...
Old 02-08-2020, 08:26 PM

Picked up this sweet Vintage Orange G5622T back in November during Black Friday.

My first Gretsch! It's a fantastic player and I'm loving the bluesy tones. The guitar plays very easily and the setup was near perfect out of the box.

Old 02-08-2020, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

I own a 2622tg with P90s. Absolutely great guitar! I have owned several of the 5k series and I think this one easily holds its own. I love P90s and this guitar just plays and sounds great!!
Old 02-08-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Picked up this sweet Vintage Orange G5622T back in November during Black Friday.

My first Gretsch! It's a fantastic player and I'm loving the bluesy tones. The guitar plays very easily and the setup was near perfect out of the box.

- and just think how much better it'll play/sound with all six strings on it...

All kidding aside, if you haven't mounted a set by now I'd strongly recommend flatwound 11's with a wound G - with the short 24.6" scale they play like 10's on a Strat and, as many of your fellow AGF'ers will attest, they're a natural match for the Super Hi-lo'Tron pickups (based on a modified Filter'Tron humbucker platform, rather than the true single-coil Brooklyn-style Hi-lo'Tron in the '60 Double Annie reissue) and a key ingredient of "That Great Gretsch Sound"; FYI I've been using them on my own 5622 (the 2015-16 first-run model with three Super Hi-lo's and cats' eye soundholes) since day one with excellent results, and if you've got a nice tube amp (if you don't own one, you should ) a little bit of dial-twisting will evoke all the classic Gretsch tones most of us grew up on...
Old 02-13-2020, 01:56 PM

Well, a package from adorama.com has arrived with three dings in the package and is inside beginning its warmup acclimation to the PNW. It went from the east coast to the west coast on the ground just hours ahead whatever new storm was due from the arctic and/or Canada. Going to wait 24 hours before I see if there is any damage to what I hope is a Gretsch guitar from shipping and exactly what I bought.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohen View Post
Well, a package from adorama.com has arrived with three dings in the package and is inside beginning its warmup acclimation to the PNW. It went from the east coast to the west coast on the ground just hours ahead whatever new storm was due from the arctic and/or Canada. Going to wait 24 hours before I see if there is any damage to what I hope is a Gretsch guitar from shipping and exactly what I bought.
You will most likely be fine. Adorama does a great job of double boxing. If not let them (and us) know. It is a poly finish...may not need 24 hours but let it acclimate.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:33 PM

Got mine. I feel like I committed a crime getting this guitar for $449.00. Set up was great out of the box and the pickups are good to go, no need to be upgraded

My LGS had that Gator Journeyman case for the same price as online, so I snagged it.

Last edited by loco gringo; 02-15-2020 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:37 PM

Got mine last Thursday. I feel like the victim of a crime. Completely unplayable out of the box. A broken string and not even close to being in tune. Plus the action was way high. Higher than the bowed neck could account for. Usually, a new guitar immediately goes to my luthier for a setup and any neck work he thinks should be done but I am too embarrassed to show up with this Gretsch.

Even with new strings it sounded crummy. My snark indicated the strings were tuned correctly but it did not sound right. It took about 20 minutes of noodling before the strings began to sound closer to the notes and chords that I expect to hear. After a couple of days playing around with it, the guitar sounds a lot better.

I am going to keep it for emergencies. If I ever need to burn wood to keep warm, this Gretsch will be the first to be used. I must admit I am disappointed.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Got mine last Thursday. I feel like the victim of a crime. Completely unplayable out of the box. A broken string and not even close to being in tune. Plus the action was way high. Higher than the bowed neck could account for. Usually, a new guitar immediately goes to my luthier for a setup and any neck work he thinks should be done but I am too embarrassed to show up with this Gretsch.

Even with new strings it sounded crummy. My snark indicated the strings were tuned correctly but it did not sound right. It took about 20 minutes of noodling before the strings began to sound closer to the notes and chords that I expect to hear. After a couple of days playing around with it, the guitar sounds a lot better.

I am going to keep it for emergencies. If I ever need to burn wood to keep warm, this Gretsch will be the first to be used. I must admit I am disappointed.
Not surprised regarding not being playable right out of the box - FYI Adorama is primarily a camera dealer - but this is the first instance I've encountered of any MIK Gretsch being as bad as you say it is (the Chinese/Indonesian stuff is another story ), and the fact that it sounds a lot better after a couple days' settling-in time, some tweaks, and a set of new strings is a promising sign...

My thoughts: IME any tech with some experience under his/her belt has seen trainwrecks far beyond what you describe; swallow your pride, take it in to your tech for a look-see (I suspect that, short of a twisted/improperly-set neck - in which case the guitar should be promptly returned - there's likely nothing that can't be resolved with a quality professional setup), and don't be too quick to write it off - they really are pro-level instruments that just happen to sell at a step-up/intermediate-level price...

Let us know how it goes...
Old 02-18-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:

I’m not sure if you received a 5622, but here in Canada the price I was quoted for one I could check out and play first was approximately $1125, which is close to the same price as a Fender ‘50s Classic Series Lacquer Telecaster - so not inexpensive. Besides set up issue, I’m not understanding your negative review - can you go into it in any more detail - how do you find the pickups, the fretwork, are the tone and volume pots useable through the entire range, or does signal disappear at 50% roll back, etc.?
Old 02-19-2020, 01:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I would assume you know this, but the action is easily adjustable at the bridge. It sounds to me like the guitar simply needs a really good setup. Seriously, take it to your tech and have him or her take a look.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars