The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-28-2019, 02:50 AM

Julian Lage is one of those guys that makes me want to throw my guitars out the window. Having said that I'm not crazy about the sound of that guitar - not ideal recording conditions for sure but still....
Very interested in that emerald archtop and how it sounds, especially acoustically) - I was a CF guitar owner for a period (composite acoustics gx)
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 12-29-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
Julian Lage is one of those guys that makes me want to throw my guitars out the window. Having said that I'm not crazy about the sound of that guitar - not ideal recording conditions for sure but still....
Very interested in that emerald archtop and how it sounds, especially acoustically) - I was a CF guitar owner for a period (composite acoustics gx)
There's a thread on the Emerald Kestral in the carbon guitar section.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
Lage's playing seems almost effortless. I know that he's put years to get to the level he is today, so I keep plugging away an hour or two at a time.

I was interested in the Kestrel too. I was in Ireland last year and dropped by Alistair's factory (3 times). I almost bought a guitar they had in stock before I left, but after some soul searching I decided to go for a custom. I played almost the entire range of guitars they had available in their showroom and found the ones I most wanted to take with me were in no particular order the X20-12, Synergy and Kestrel. I suck at Jazz chording and knew that could keep me busy for a while, so after negotiating with Alistair for close to half a year we went with the Kestrel that you see linked.

I come from a horn background and my primary instrument is trumpet. I can somewhat play another dozen instruments and got an X20 (6 string) back in 2013. I have been enamored with CF guitars ever since.

The Kestrel has two distinct acoustic sounds that I like. One is light jazz chording shapes with fingers and enough fingerpicking of a melody in between to get to the next chord. The other is moderate to hard strumming to keep the rhythm going in a small ensemble. I tried to take the melody in that small ensemble too with the Kestrel. It was OK - actually better than the X20, but I have to work on my technique a bit more.

I doubt I'll be bringing it by to see you anytime soon since you live some 9,000+ miles away (15,000 km). You might want to talk to lat18 about the Kestrel. I believe he has a Loar 700 too and played the Kestrel for a few days this past summer. I still need to work more on set up and will be telling why at some point (just cosmetic reasons), but it's definitely not the same as an older L-7. I can't say whether it's better or worse. If I had to choose between the two as I was running away from a fire, I'd be more likely to grab the Kestrel. I'll have to compare side by side to be more sure and may have an Epiphone I can borrow instead if I play my cards right.

If you are interested enough, I would do what lat18 did and order a stock one. Try it for a while and then send it back if you don't want to keep it. I had the advantage that I played the two that were sitting in Ireland, so I knew the sound was good enough. Is it the sound I'm chasing? I don't know, but the vote's still out.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 12-29-2019, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
OUCH!!!

That is bitter beyond belief.

I would resubmit that suit retroactively. There's got to be some malady you're suffering from that can be tied to coerced dexterity reassignment.

Howard
Hi Howard, just caught up with this. Couldn't help laughing. As my Dad was the last to go 35 years ago, and I have no idea who the owner of the school was and can't even find the building on google maps I doubt I could trace them.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:19 AM

Any other reviews on this Waterloo?
Old 02-18-2020, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

I hope practice and talent aren’t required to play this well.

Agreed the treble action was a bit low. Seems like he wanted to make a few statements that were subdued.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops