The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

View Poll Results: Should the cheaters be banished?
oh, yes 28 68.29%
nah, it's only baseball 5 12.20%
what's this going to prove? 8 19.51%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2020, 06:09 AM

Wind up the noise makers of summer and start the "games". I don't really care who wins as long as they do their summer dances and charades. Its quite a money making ballet that is presented to us each spring with every team predicting huge improvements and vast amounts of money flying around (The minimum salary for the player you never even heard of, is about $500,000/yr).

Its "Entertainment" folks! Sit back and enjoy it and know it doesn't really matter who wins.

Fog
Old 02-20-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
Wind up the noise makers of summer and start the "games". I don't really care who wins as long as they do their summer dances and charades. Its quite a money making ballet that is presented to us each spring with every team predicting huge improvements and vast amounts of money flying around (The minimum salary for the player you never even heard of, is about $500,000/yr).

Its "Entertainment" folks! Sit back and enjoy it and know it doesn't really matter who wins.

Fog
That's minimum salary for a player in the Major Leagues. There are very few who attain that and even when they do the average career is only about 5 or 6 years. Until then most players make far less, have the risk of injury ending their careers at any moment and are often separated from family for long periods of time. Sure, a MLB player makes good money but more often than not have put in their dues and will lose their career before they are even 40. At that point it's back to the/our real world which is also often psychologically damaging. Not saying $500K or more isn't great pay but spread out over a lifetime and with the risks involved (and the years and years of practice time) they don't actually make much more than any other "professional" out there (think Doctor here).
Old 02-20-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
That's minimum salary for a player in the Major Leagues. There are very few who attain that Sure, a MLB player makes good money but more often than not have put in their dues and will lose their career before they are even 40. At that point it's back to the/our real world which is also often psychologically damaging. Not saying $500K or more isn't great pay but spread out over a lifetime and with the risks involved (and the years and years of practice time) they don't actually make much more than any other "professional" out there (think Doctor here).
Ahhh, there's that money thing again! Tho it's a fact, the chance to play for the love of it, and hopefully with no responsibilities, is *Golden.* My Father and Uncle both were giving the chance to play on 'company" teams during the early 1930's when both were young and full of Pennsylvania coal dust. They faced the 'traveling" Yankees and Cardinals(Browns), and played against the legends of yore. When time and age caught up with them, they had some fantastic stories to spread around the Sunday dinner table! Can you imagine Babe Ruth in the box-and you're the catcher!!!!!!

Last edited by jpd; 02-20-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Ahhh, there's that money thing again! Tho it's a fact, the chance to play for the love of it, and hopefully with no responsibilities, is *Golden.* My Father and Uncle both were giving the chance to play on 'company" teams during the early 1930's when both were young and full of Pennsylvania coal dust. They faced the 'traveling" Yankees and Cardinals(Browns), and played against the legends of yore. When time and age caught up with them, they had some fantastic stories to spread around the Sunday dinner table! Can you imagine Babe Ruth in the box-and you're the catcher!!!!!!
Yes, "that money thing". Because I was responding to something that was said...about the money.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:06 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Yes, "that money thing". Because I was responding to something that was said...about the money.
That was not a negative directed at you....it was about the topic.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
No, because the commissioner has already given them immunity to get them to tell the truth about what happened. Can't change the rules at this point.
This fact essentially makes the premise of this thread argumentative only. The player's association would H,E, double hockey sticks if the commissioned reneged on the immunity deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostpicker View Post
I wonder if Pete Rose will monitor this thread?
IIRC he is already suing to be reinstated so that he can be in the Hall of Fame. In light of the widespread use of steroids, legalized sports gambling and now this debacle with the Astros I really can't see why he shouldn't be in the HOF because the entire MLB is tarnished as far as I'm concerned.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post

Fog
Wrong. The fans lose. Many sports teams are given special deals from local governments on tax incentives and sometimes even outright seizure of land through eminent domain. What it all comes down to is that the tax payers are footing the bill for these stadiums in addition to the exorbitant ticket and concession prices.

This is why Pittsburgh fans are up in arms about boycotting the Pirates. The land PNC Park stands on was a land grab by the city who in turn handed it over to a team with a 20 year streak of losing and sold the naming rights to a bank that was similarly buying up real estate across the river for its own monuments. The only positive is that before when you went to North Shore it was filled with nuisance bars and strip clubs, now you get free bobbleheads and fireworks and the occasional concert after enduring what is essentially minor league baseball. By rights, the Pirates should be a publicly owned organization.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
As I said on another post on AGF with a similar topic, I'd toss the Astros out of the majors. I know this is extreme, but it's how I feel. Banishment for a couple of years is my 2nd choice.
Not gonna happen. The MLB isn't going to going to stand losing the fourth largest market because of this.

If anything they want them to succeed. They already made "adjustments" by transferring them not only out of a competitive division (where they were consistently competing with the Chicago Cubs for last place and being humiliated by "smaller market" teams) but out of the NL altogether.

IMO the owner should go. Didn't MLB force the owner of the Dodgers to divest of the team back in 2011? As for the players, while they can't be censured their trade value will certainly take a hit after this.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:39 PM

Pete Rose is banned for life. Should have been banned just for bunting to break Joe DiMaggio hit streak record, alone. Plus Hammering Hank said he is banned for life.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:25 PM

I think it's sad that some little league teams named the Astros have to change their name now.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
PGA star Patrick Reed, aka “The Shovel”, should be banned for life due to his frequent cheating.
This^^^^^

As a long time time golfer and fan I find his behavior repugnant. He continues to cheat even when caught. Finally, he won’t acknowledge that he’s cheated....he is well on his way to being totally and widely ostracized by his fellow competitors. He should be banned by the PGA and his Tour card taken away. No room for cheaters in this sport, whether it’s at a tour event or with the guys I play with on Saturday morning. And there are two guys that were a part of our regular group that can’t get a game because they are known cheats.

Rant over.....
Old 02-22-2020, 08:23 AM

Default Hmmmmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I think it's sad that some little league teams named the Astros have to change their name now.
It's so strange....as a kid I played on 2/3 teams at a time during the season...this stuff never came into play-well, it was the 50's
Old 02-25-2020, 04:43 AM
Charter Member

Call me a cynic, but I believe (sadly) that leagues where cheating and steroid abuse were encouraged and rewarded would become even more popular and commercially successful than ALL of the so-called legit sports are already. People love to be entertained and humble heroes are rare.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:32 AM

Yeah, about that "money thing",imagine being in your 20's, bullet-proof, knocking down $10,000/week with room and board taken care of. Been shooting for this for about 10 years (Since 16yrs.) and ain't too worried about my "career". Will do the college thing my parents have been bugging me about later and I'll have the money to do that too. Yup, $500,000/year minimum is okay by me.

Fog
Old 02-25-2020, 06:31 AM

Cheating has gone on in MLB since forever.
It’s no longer anything more than entertainment to me and even not much of that. I’ve lost my zest for professional sports in general and my fanaticism has turned into mostly apathy. Yes, the outrageous money has ruined it, but maybe not in the way you think.
It’s the betting money that is the elephant in the room. JMO.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic