The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2020, 08:23 PM

Default The day the picks betrayed me (35)

Not a regular pick story.
We had gotten my daughter’s guitar back from the luthier and I was excited to teach the two grand kids a couple of chords and see them bond with the guitar.
And I thought it would be a good idea to let them make a few picks on the pick punch to add enthusiasm.
Well it did ...sort of.
I let them punch out some picks from gift cards and the strips included in the pick-a-paloosa kit. Then we had to leave for church and when we got home it was getting late, so into pajamas and a little more activity before bed.
When I approached the family room I heard this, “please trade my bumble bee for your llama.”
“How about a swirly one instead?”
And yep, as I entered the room I could see all their picks out on the floor before them, to be traded just as I did baseball cards and marbles almost 60 years ago.
When they saw me they begged to punch more picks. So much for today’s guitar lessons. Then the 10 year old wanted to see my “broken watch collection” (44 years of marriage, and my wife buys me another Seiko when a battery change won’t fix one...lots of sentimental value, so I keep thinking I will get them repaired one day...especially the Mickey Mouse!)(but this BD she got me an Apple Watch to monitor my heart...and the Mickey face talks to you!! )
It is all good fun🤪
IMG_6247.jpg

Last edited by whvick; 01-27-2020 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:17 PM

So now they are back in my bedroom going thru my jars of loose change. Seems they also want to have coin collections.
Maybe when they grow up they will have guitar collections. Hope they learn to play them along the way
Old 01-27-2020, 06:52 AM

Interesting story. My Son is now 12 and still has no interest in learning how to play. I hope one day.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

...charming pick story!!...thanks for that..
Old 01-27-2020, 09:27 AM

I think more than a few of us in our 60s have a good broken watch collection. With me it is more about pocket watches and clocks though.

My daughter is 16 (I came very late to the parent thing). She is a natural musician. She picks everything up like lightning. She plays piano, bass, uke, and percussion (she is with her school marching band, concert band and pit orchestra). She is good enough on the uke to play open mics and is actually slated to do a performance early next month. I think I am a bit jealous as I had to work like a dog to learn.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

I'd like some of the those honey bee picks for use on electric guitar as they provide a sweet stinging tone.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:17 PM

Default The day the picks betrayed me (35)

So far one of my 21 GKs can really play a guitar, and his little brother a little bit also. One 13 year old girl is taking lessons from her 92 y o grandfather. But she does not seem too excited about it.
So we will have to see how many guitar players I have vs how many pick collectors.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion