The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-26-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Which Epiphone and which Fender amp?
Here's a link to the one I got. Seemed to be mostly positive reviews. The salesman down at the Guitar Center in Evansville said its an excellent electric guitar for a beginner. He also had the Squire Package for $300 and some Jackson guitars in a similar price range but I went with this one instead.

r/Mike

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphon...?source=4XBACR

Last edited by Whitey#1; 01-28-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:36 PM

Smile Congratulations!

Happy New Guitar Day.

Now play some funky music Whitey.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey#1 View Post
Here's a link to the one I got. Seemed to be mostly positive reviews. The salesman down at the Guitar Center in Evansville said its an excellent electric guitar for a beginner. He also had the Squire Package for $300 and some Jackson guitars in a similar price range but I went this this one instead.

r/Mike

Although I do agree with DeRosa on your purchase ( return and up grade), it is not the worst you could have done. I have an Epiphone Dot in black and I love it. The frets are excellent, the "jazz" tone from the neck pick up is great and it balances and "feels" nice. This guitar will help you find your way on the guitar journey. Your style and preference in music will change as it has for most of us. Although I started out as only acoustic player, my journey has led me to the world of "classical hybrids" and electric. If I were to advise someone as to what electric to start out with it would have been an inexpensive ( Squier) stratocaster. Even though that is not my preferred electric ( telecasters are) I believe it is the most versatile, easy to play guitar in the group, ( Les Pauls, Telecaster, Strats). You can achieve many tones with the 5 position selector and it is a lot of fun to play. Think about it, GC is very flexible, they know you are new and like others may change your mind.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:12 AM

There is nothing wrong with the equipment the OP is starting out with. But as already mentioned.....if he sticks with it he will soon be itching for something better (just like all of us!).

I had a Mustang I which I obtained free with my Musicians Friend points. It was ok....it is at its best when using the Fender Fuse software online as already pointed out. Didn’t take me long to upgrade to a Bugera V22.

Although I have a couple of expensive guitars....like a Gibson Les Paul...my everyday player is a kit strat my son in law gave me for Christmas in 2017. I upgraded to locking tuners, an Obsidian Wire solderless blend kit, tusq nut, and DiMarzio pickups, and a professional setup. Spent a couple hundred dollars and have a guitar that plays/sounds as good as ANY high end instrument. That and my Godin Kingpin II are my favorites.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawsoniii View Post
There is nothing wrong with the equipment the OP is starting out with. But as already mentioned.....if he sticks with it he will soon be itching for something better (just like all of us!).
Remember, I am basically a complete beginner. I can assure you it will be a long, LONG time before I feel like I have to upgrade to a better guitar and amp. I have no idea what all of these knobs/controls are for on this Mustang I amp that I have.

Fingering is the #1 issue for me now.

r/Mike
Old 01-27-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Remember, I am basically a complete beginner. I can assure you it will be a long, LONG time before I feel like I have to upgrade to a better guitar and amp. I have no idea what all of these knobs/controls are for on this Mustang I amp that I have.

r/Mike
Nothing to say that you have to upgrade. (The Mustang is a fantastic solid state amp which offers all sorts of settings and effects with which to experiment with which you won't find in a tube amp).

I like the idea of having a solid state amp (I own a Fender Mustang) and a tube equivalent, but that's just me.

Happy days!
Old 01-27-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:

r/Mike
And there is absolutely nothing wrong with what you bought.

Crank it up and chase the pets into the other part of the house. Above all, have fun. We're all on your side!
Fender Baja Telecaster
Old 01-27-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb fingertips View Post
So, are you saying the new ones made today are not as good as the older ones made in Korea? Or did you mean get the Electromatics and avoid the Streamliner?
Go for the Electromatics - a whole lot more guitar for not that much more money, and I've seen more than a few Holiday/Coupon Day sales that bring certain E-Matic models/colors within $50-75 of the Streamliner series, so be patient and shop around...

Quote:
Remember, I am basically a complete beginner...I have no idea what all of these knobs/controls are for on this Mustang I amp that I have...
I'm not surprised in the least and, at the risk of ruffling a few feathers, that's precisely why I always recommended an analog (non-modeling) amp - with an absolute minimum of bells and whistles - as a first purchase for my students; at this stage all you really need is something to make your guitar louder while you develop both your instrumental technique and technical knowledge - what happens when you turn this dial or flip this switch, and being able to not only hear the tonal differences but use them creatively - and as with anything else in life you need to crawl before you can walk, walk before you can run. Think of it as crossgrading rather than upgrading - simplifying the learning curve to the point of manageability; that said, there are a number of suitable amps in the $100-200 range that fall under this heading - here's a sample selection you might find at the typical big-box store:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/comb...rrencyCode=USD

Sorry I couldn't filter out the digital (Line 6, Yamaha, NUX, Mustang) and dedicated acoustic-guitar (Laney LA15C, Peavey Ecoustic) amps, but I think you get the idea of what I'm talking about. Of these, my personal favorites are the Peavey Rage and Bugera V5 - the latter (which I own) being as simple as it gets in terms of controls, but which can serve you for a lifetime as a small-gig/home-practice amp (do a search - there are several very satisfied owners here on the AGF), the Peavey being a good option if you're looking for tight clean tones (FYI Peavey amps were - and still are, to some extent - the go-to country-music studio amps in the '80s-90s for just that reason) and a broader spectrum of tone control (bass/mid/treble - no harder to operate than your home stereo - as well as a separate overdrive channel if you want to get a little crazy... ). In any event I understand and sympathize with your situation - as a retired elementary-school teacher I have extensive experience with beginners - and age aside, the KISS principle clearly applies here: start off slow and easy, and you'll do better in the long run...
Old 01-27-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Here's a link to the one I got. Seemed to be mostly positive reviews. The salesman down at the Guitar Center in Evansville said its an excellent electric guitar for a beginner. He also had the Squire Package for $300 and some Jackson guitars in a similar price range but I went this this one instead.

r/Mike

You’ll get years of joy out of that rig. Sure, that amp is not gig worthy, but it’s a great practice tool. And you can find the tone you like with that amp, and then buy the rig you really want.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
You’ll get years of joy out of that rig. Sure, that amp is not gig worthy, but it’s a great practice tool. And you can find the tone you like with that amp, and then buy the rig you really want.
I echo this sentiment and many of the other positive responses you have gotten on the equipment you have purchased. Enjoy what you have acquired...ya done good! As you begin to figure it out, your music will evolve and you'll find other wonderful instruments, amps, pedals, etc. that will help you to sound like how YOU want to sound.

It's going to be a great journey so enjoy!
Old 01-28-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:

r/Mike
You might be surprised how soon you will be itching to upgrade!

That being said....just play as much as you can and enjoy the ride!

As for your amp......just mess around with it. You will learn how everything works. I highly recommend downloading the Fuse software. It will give you more/better control. And check out the many presets that are available.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawsoniii View Post
You might be surprised how soon you will be itching to upgrade!

That being said....just play as much as you can and enjoy the ride!

As for your amp......just mess around with it. You will learn how everything works. I highly recommend downloading the Fuse software. It will give you more/better control. And check out the many presets that are available.
Is the software for the amp?
Old 01-28-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I've had my Mustang for a least 5 years and I have no idea what the knobs do. I use to stare at them for hours at a time with a blank expression on my face. It was far too complicated for my brain, so I stayed away from attempting to program any sounds and just used the presets. I liked the Van Halen preset, the Johnny Marr clean sound preset and preset #77 (...whatever that is).

Then last year I found the software CD which was en-route to the trash, then I remembered that it came with the amp so I loaded it up on my computer. Once I'd found a long enough USB cable and attached it to the amplifier, I saw this:

So now I don't have to touch the knobs and programming is easy.
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 01-28-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Yes. You can download the Fender Fuse software onto your pc or laptop, then connect to the amp. Gives you a LOT more options. Plus, there are literally hundreds...if not thousands...of presets that you can save to the amp.

See the post immediately above this one, also.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
The Epiphone says Special Model and Les Paul Special-II. Its a blue one.

The Fender amp says Mustang I on it. Its 20 watts.

That work?
I think you did great here and that Epiphone looks really nice and simple. If you were like me, you will probably enjoy that clean sound with a little reverb on that Mustang amp.

Don't worry about upgrading. Play on and have fun.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars