The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-10-2024, 05:15 PM

Default Sire A4-G saddle break angle

I bought a Sire A4-G 3 months ago, but it came with a 3mm action on the 12th fret on both the low E and high E.

I proceeded to remove the saddle and sand it until I reached 2.5 mm of action.

As for the low E string, 2.5mm doesn't seem like a very high action to me, it's comfortable and given that sometimes I strum a little harder, I think that if it goes any lower it would be something like 0.1 / 0.2 mm lower, no less than that, but the High E string maintains 2.5 mm action. I think that 2.0 / 2.2 mm on the 12th fret for me would be ideal, so I would have to sand the saddle diagonally to lower it between 0.6 and 1mm on the high side.

My question is if I lower the saddle 1mm on the diagnotal if I won't have problems with the break angle on the high E string.

I have already a relief on 0.004 on the neck.

Thanks!

Old 01-12-2024, 01:14 PM

Break angle doesn't affect sound so long as you have 'enough'. It's hard to say just what 'enough' is, but it's not much more than 15-18 degrees of down angle behind the saddle. So long as the string doesn't hop off the top f the saddle when it's plucked, or slide or roll sideways, all of the string forces will be transmitted to the bridge.

More break angle produces more static tipping force on the saddle, which tries to break out the front of the slot. It can also distort the slot to a 'D' shape, making the saddle loose in the center.

I think you'd have plenty of break angle even without the ramps.
Old 01-12-2024, 04:32 PM

Well, after some sanding, I've achieved a 2.5 on low E and 2.0 (maybe 1.9 almost) on high E.

I don't know if I'm on the "red line" of the breaking angle, but after tuning it up it seems that the intonation it's ok, and now it's much more comfortable. No buzz founded with the same relief. It's sounds good with a great projection.

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-14-2024, 04:43 PM

The only string that looks questionable to me is the high E. If it's not a problem I wouldn't mess with it. If you do notice issues a little bit of rounding off on the front edge of the ramp would fix it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
saddle, saddle angle