The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-09-2024, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Default Technique for partial level and crown.

My Eastman E6D has moderate fretwear on the first 5 frets. I'd like to address this and then move it along.

I know how to level frets, and how to crown them.

What I'm a bit unsure about is how to just do the first few.

Do people do that? Sort of ramp them down from 7 to 1 or something? Or just level and crown the whole darn thing.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 01-09-2024, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
My Eastman E6D has moderate fretwear on the first 5 frets. I'd like to address this and then move it along.

I know how to level frets, and how to crown them.

What I'm a bit unsure about is how to just do the first few.

Do people do that? Sort of ramp them down from 7 to 1 or something? Or just level and crown the whole darn thing.
I find it simpler to replace the first 5 frets.
Old 01-09-2024, 09:18 AM

Slight wear can be tapered. That effectively reduces the relief, which may require a truss rod adjustment.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:23 AM

Default a thought

+1 on replacing the first 5 frets. There being so few, if this was mine I'd be considering farming the job out professionally and combining the fret replacement with a general fret leveling and polishing. Frets are made in a variety of heights and widths, and a skilled pro would have a selection of fretwire to choose from to achieve a can't-tell-it-was-done job. Might be a good investment (buff out the gloss body, too?).
Old 01-09-2024, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
+1 on replacing the first 5 frets. There being so few, if this was mine I'd be considering farming the job out professionally and combining the fret replacement with a general fret leveling and polishing. Frets are made in a variety of heights and widths, and a skilled pro would have a selection of fretwire to choose from to achieve a can't-tell-it-was-done job. Might be a good investment (buff out the gloss body, too?).
I'd probably just look to sell it a slightly reduced price than spend the time and money to take it to a pro.

I could use the practice anyway, and it's not like I need to sell it, just looking to make some space, mostly.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 01-09-2024, 03:23 PM

Default Technique for partial level and crown.

Take one fret out, measure carefully, order what you need, replace the offenders then take them roughly to the same height as the others, level, crown and polish. No need to take more material than needed off 16 good frets. That's what I usually do for the vast majority of those customer's guitars with wear on the first few frets.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair