The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-09-2024, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Tell Leo he should use actual corn hole bags and not dive weights, unless he laminates that hog back of course.

Corn hole and all, this is looking pretty sharp!
Old 03-24-2024, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

ADI HOG is one of the best combinations for a guitar, Leo will bring something fascinating into the mix for sure, congrats...!
Old 03-24-2024, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
ADI HOG is one of the best combinations for a guitar, Leo will bring something fascinating into the mix for sure, congrats...!
Agreed! It is a fantastic combination. Leo added racing stripes to the side of this one.

Old 03-25-2024, 10:15 AM

This is going to kick some serious butt! Can nor wait to see and hear more.
Old 03-25-2024, 01:23 PM

Beautiful-looking instrument. I will make a comment regarding guitars with so-called double sides. I received about six months ago two OM guitars I had commissioned from Scottish luthier Oska Burman. The guitars, as you can imagine, are just incredible. Oska uses double-side construction, too, and I can say, based on my experience with these and quite a few other luthier-built guitars, that the double-side construction gives a guitar a certain amount of heft and fullness to the sound that might otherwise be lacking. It's a very subtle thing, of course, but it's something I think I can notice or maybe say feel about Oska's guitars. And, of course, structurally there are obvious advantages to double-side construction, in terms of the stability and longevity of the instrument.
Old 03-25-2024, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwills57 View Post
Beautiful-looking instrument. I will make a comment regarding guitars with so-called double sides. I received about six months ago two OM guitars I had commissioned from Scottish luthier Oska Burman. The guitars, as you can imagine, are just incredible. Oska uses double-side construction, too, and I can say, based on my experience with these and quite a few other luthier-built guitars, that the double-side construction gives a guitar a certain amount of heft and fullness to the sound that might otherwise be lacking. It's a very subtle thing, of course, but it's something I think I can notice or maybe say feel about Oska's guitars. And, of course, structurally there are obvious advantages to double-side construction, in terms of the stability and longevity of the instrument.
Good to hear from you and thanks for commenting. Yes, double sides have a number of advantages and are a common part of the recipe for Somogyi-style guitars. I used to own a couple of Baranik (and a Kostal) guitars with double sides as well. That being said, I'm firmly of the camp that believes there are a number of recipes to achieve fantastic tone. While I have played or owned many amazing guitars with double-sides, I have never felt like guitars built with different methodologies have been lacking. I have always found it difficult to parse out the effect of individual variables in guitars. I tend to look at guitars as the culmination of many, many different design decisions. While a builder using double sides may make different decisions down the road about how to construct the guitar for optimal tone, another building using traditional single-layer sides will optimize around that type of rim.

All that being said, I have enjoyed Oska's build threads and would love to play one of his guitars one day. Thanks for chiming in!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop